Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi All – Seeking an Integrated POS/eCommerce solution!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    OzFitzy
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    ::

I’ve had my bricks and mortar retail shop for just over 10 years with little more than a very ordinary single page website. The funny thing is that prior to this I was in IT for 16 years and in fact back then designed websites and eCommerce sites for others (noting that this was back in the days before CMS was available).

Right now I’m trying to find an integrated POS/eCommerce solution (which is not cloud based). If you sell your products out of a bricks and mortar shop AND a website simultaneously you must have your POS and eCommerce inventory integrated. That is, you sell an item in the shop and the website stock gets adjusted automatically (either real-time or say hourly). In other words you don’t want to try and keep them aligned manually. You will tear hair out.

So far (after rejecting cloud only solutions) I have mainly turned up very expensive eCommerce solutions for multi-store outlets. I have a single store with two POS registers and a back-office server and use the Tyro broadband EFTPOS which is fantastic and cheaper. If anyone can recommend an integrated POS/eCommerce package I should look at please let me know. Cheers, Wayne – [email protected]

SalenaKnight
    • Total posts: 604
    Up

Wayne, I too have both (plus I also have independent consultants that work for me). I use oscommerce with a few mods added in.

I couldn’t access your website, so, depending on your product, it’s super easy, or in my case (lots of colours and sizes), it’s a tad clunky. In saying that, all of my team are mums, some with no computer experience, and they’ve all picked it up after an hour or so (the POS side, that is).

The only ‘downside’ would be that you may sell out of something in-store that someone has bought online. We pretty much get around this by picking orders morning and afternoon, and then any downtime in the shop. We then pack them all in the afternoon. So far, I think it’s only happened once.

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions,

Sal

ETA – OSC is free, but you will need a computer instead of/plus a ‘register’. It’s a bit hard to give you more specific info without knowing what sort of products you’re selling.

Tony Pfitzner
    • Total posts: 213
    Up

I would endorse flower childs solution, although it is not technically ‘cloud’ based, it does mean keeping your inventory in a self hosted web database so I am not sure if this is what you want.

You can set up an osCommerce variant such as oscMax which has most of the bells and whistles – such as coupons and vouchers – preinstalled. It is also robust enough to deal with real world issues such as complex freight, tax and sizing issues.

If you want barcodes this is going to involve a little programming, but it is easy enough to install a keyboard wedge barcode scanner and create the order using a web form. You could also set it up to open the cash drawer.

if you want the website to run out of a local database at the POS system then you need to go for one of the commercial options. I have no experience with these, but I would be careful that the bundled websites generated are capable of being optimised for search

Dan (Turtle Technology)
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

We are building an online shop for a client and will be integrating with their Infinity Retail Management System. This looks like it will work fine (using web-services) with our generic cart software. It is not cloud-based so requires a server installation.

wpmdigital
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

A client of ours had us integrate with Microsoft RMS. I’m not entirely sure how much they paid for the RMS side of things but it seems to work for them. They’re also a small store with just the one outlet.

OzFitzy
    Up

Thanks indeed for you responses everyone!

Flowerchild:
    – I’m afraid that automatic inventory adjustment is a must. There is a relatively high turnover of items from the bricks and mortar and no way I could contemplate web manual adjustment.

Tony Pfitzner:
    – I have setup OsCommerce, ZenCart and other websites for other people in the past. They are ideal if selling only on the web. (Current favourite is Avactis 2). As you say to achieve what I want I’ll need a bundled commercial option. The search aspect is generally okay with them nowadays.

Dan (Turtle Technology):
    – Infinity is about the only one I have not enquired about yet and I noted that while it has a bolt on web interface it doesn’t specify any particular cart software is suited. As an aside I mention that 12 months ago I got sucked into quite expensive POS software (replacing one I already had that was fine) on the solemn promise that their next version of it ‘due out in a couple of months’ would have the wanted eCommerce update facility. Next version came out – no sign of it and when questioned they now only say “they have it in mind to do”. Now I have to junk it. Not impressed – so will only consider working examples with happy campers. :)

geminithink:
    – Thanks for the pointer to Microsoft RMS but like most things from Micro$oft it is rather expensive. Although I managed MS Windows Server systems in the past (when in IT) had I a much larger operation I might consider it. I think I should examine other possibilities first. :)

All ideas welcomed – please keep ’em coming.

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Wayne

I have a client who owns a computer store that can help with the hardware side of things, and also has contacts who can help with the web side of things. I’ve seen Quickbooks integrated at his shop, but he is also experienced with MYOB and other commercial POS/accounting software.

I can pass on his details if you want to deal with him directly.

SalenaKnight
    Up

I think you misunderstood – there is no manual adjustment required. As soon as the item is purchased, it will come off the inventory.

Oscommerce can be modified to use in a B&M store with a POS contribution added.

We’ve run ours successfully for 2 years.

OzFitzy
    Up
    flower-child, post: 87142 wrote:
    I think you misunderstood – there is no manual adjustment required. As soon as the item is purchased, it will come off the inventory.

Oscommerce can be modified to use in a B&M store with a POS contribution added.

We’ve run ours successfully for 2 years.

Hi floer-child,
    Looks like I did misunderstand you. When you said “Wayne, I too have both (plus I also have independent consultants that work for me). I use oscommerce with a few mods added in.” I read that as meaning you had both POS and eCommerce (but not intergrated).

Just Googled the Oscommerce add-on (and viewed some videos on it). It looks intriguing but for cash and carry POS customers it seems a little finicky and I wonder about the back office end (like for entry of new products etc and for reporting). However being browser based (and running in the back office rather than on the web for in-store POS) I wonder if it is quick enough. Is the POS system as quick as say a supermarket checkout POS? We have 2 registers speedily scanning baskets of items like a supermarket. Perhaps not as blinding fast as in ALDI where they throw stuff at you :) but like say Coles.

Can you PM me with your website address?
    Would love to know more.
    Thanks
    Wayne FitzSimons

OzFitzy
    Up
    CruzAccountant, post: 87126 wrote:
    Wayne

I have a client who owns a computer store that can help with the hardware side of things, and also has contacts who can help with the web side of things. I’ve seen Quickbooks integrated at his shop, but he is also experienced with MYOB and other commercial POS/accounting software.

I can pass on his details if you want to deal with him directly.

Thanks for you offer but I’m okay for hardware. (Incidentally I was in IT for 16+ years and used to create websites and eCommerce sites years ago for people years ago before CMS). I use Quickbooks but would never integrate the Quickbooks Retail POS software for you can never unscramble the egg once you do so. I merely enter my daily sales figures (and invoices, payments, wage calcs etc) into Quickbooks and run a completely separate POS/inventory deliberately. I am already running a good POS system but am prepared to abandon it for eCommerce/POS integration.

Cheers
    Wayne FitzSimons

MJ.Bart
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hi Wayne,

If you have not checked out http://www.shopify.com/ I would recommend it. I have not tried it personally though I did research it quite a bit when I was considering starting an online store. They host quite a number of stores including stores for Foo Fighters, Angry Birds, Tesla Motors, & Amnesty International as shown at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopify with Tim Ferris being an Angel Investor for Shopify.

You may be interested to check out their app store at http://apps.shopify.com/ paying special attention to the ‘Vend Web Based Point of Sale’ app at http://apps.shopify.com/vend-web-based-point-of-sale which states “Vend takes the hassle out of running a modern business, by seamlessly integrating your real world shop with your eCommerce store. It also connects with Xero online accounting”. “Vend works with the equipment you already use with your point-of-sale, including your barcode scanner, cash drawer and receipt printer, so switching from your old system is a breeze”.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Michael.

SalenaKnight
    Up

I’m not sure if anyone here has experience with Lightspeed. I was talking to another shop owner the other day who uses it, but it does cost $$

MJ.Bart
    • Total posts: 43
    Up

Hey Wayne,

I was just checking out http://www.shopify.com/ again and found another great app that may apply to you http://apps.shopify.com/shopkeep-com

If anyone else here knows anything about Shopify I would love to hear from you because I would like to know if it is possible to intergrate forum software into the Shopify platform? If so I would be very keen in trialing it for a new business opportunity I have just identified.

Cheers,

Michael.

Jazzah
    • Total posts: 193
    Up

Having run an online store for the past 4 years or so and now also opening a brick and mortar store, this exact issue has taken me days to research. We have a zencart based store. On it’s own it is cluncky, but we use magneticone’s store manager program which is much easier to use for day to day product and order management and larger tasks.

For our pos system we use Ollacart. It is an online pos system that integrates with our zencart database. Stock come off immediately. both for online orders and store purchases. You would have to have someone holding the item that someone purchases online for there to be a stock issue. Very easy to use for checkout, we use a barcode scanner, works great!

http://www.webcart-consulting.com/demos/pos20/doc/index.php

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.