Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi All! Small business owner as of last week.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JeremyD
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Hi Everyone!

I recently launched my own small business (last Monday to be precise) and thought I’d come and do some networking!

My website is in the process of being built, but I’ve spent the last 10 years working in various online marketing roles and finally decided that I’ve had enough of working for someone and I’m now running my own agency. After just a week I’m already at capacity though so I’m hoping to find some tips here regarding scaling, hiring etc. etc.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on your new venture :)

We’ll all look forward to checking out your new website when it’s ready.

In the meantime though, please tell us a bit more about what your new business and your plans for it.

Best of luck with it all,
    Jayne

angelarodgers
    • Total posts: 180
    Up

Hi Jeremy and welcome!! It’s so exciting to hear that you’ve joined the Solo world and that you’re already at capacity – WOW! I’m guessing you have a lot of great contacts who were keen to jump on board right away, which is great.

It took me a bit longer to get to that point, but when I did, it was overwhelming very quickly. I found that I had to be tougher on pricing and start packaging my services as products. So instead of offering my time (like 10 hours per week of digital marketing help), I now offer products that I can deliver on (two blog posts, a website, etc.). That is really the only way I could see my business scaling up and me getting my time back! Now I can work on delivering the products more efficiently and plan my time out how I want it (rather than have my tasks dictated to me by clients each week).

If you come up with another way to scale, I’d love to hear it. The only other thing I can think of is outsourcing, which I dabble in a little – but there’s not a lot that can be outsourced in what I do right now.

All the best for this next bit of your journey!

Angela

JeremyD
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 215279, member: 2205 wrote:
    Hi Jeremy,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on your new venture :)

We’ll all look forward to checking out your new website when it’s ready.

In the meantime though, please tell us a bit more about what your new business and your plans for it.

Best of luck with it all,
    Jayne

Thanks Jayne!

My business is an online marketing agency – specifically PPC (or ‘Pay per Click’) marketing. This basically means managing ads for clients on Google, Facebook, Bing, etc.

You see a lot of ‘online marketing agencies’ popping up left right and centre, but the problem is a person (or group of people) can’t be experts at everything, so my point of difference in the market is that we focus purely on PPC – we don’t claim to be experts at anything else.

The great thing about this kind of service is that location is irrelevant, so focussing on both the US and AU market. The only problem is having the time right now though!

JeremyD
    Up
    angelarodgers, post: 215313, member: 58536 wrote:
    Hi Jeremy and welcome!! It’s so exciting to hear that you’ve joined the Solo world and that you’re already at capacity – WOW! I’m guessing you have a lot of great contacts who were keen to jump on board right away, which is great.

It took me a bit longer to get to that point, but when I did, it was overwhelming very quickly. I found that I had to be tougher on pricing and start packaging my services as products. So instead of offering my time (like 10 hours per week of digital marketing help), I now offer products that I can deliver on (two blog posts, a website, etc.). That is really the only way I could see my business scaling up and me getting my time back! Now I can work on delivering the products more efficiently and plan my time out how I want it (rather than have my tasks dictated to me by clients each week).

If you come up with another way to scale, I’d love to hear it. The only other thing I can think of is outsourcing, which I dabble in a little – but there’s not a lot that can be outsourced in what I do right now.

All the best for this next bit of your journey!

Angela

Thank you!

I do have a lot of contacts and am also very eager to reach out and approach people that I think might be in need of my services, which so far has had a 100% success rate.

That’s great info and to be honest kind of where I’m heading as well…. 2 of my clients pay me per hour but for the rest I’m selling my service as a product – it works out to be better for the client that way usually as well as my hourly rate is quite high. I’m very hesitant to outsource as I’ve had terrible experiences with it in the past so I think the best thing I can do is start hiring.

I love your website by the way! Although we’re in the same industry our services do not overlap so maybe there’ll be an opportunity for us to work together in the future :)

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi Jeremy,

Congratulations to an impressive start to the business world. I’ll be interested to see your service offering when your website comes online. Please be sure to post it. Welcome to the forum.

Steve

angelarodgers
    • Total posts: 180
    Up
    JeremyD, post: 215324, member: 68148 wrote:
    Thank you!

I do have a lot of contacts and am also very eager to reach out and approach people that I think might be in need of my services, which so far has had a 100% success rate.

That’s great info and to be honest kind of where I’m heading as well…. 2 of my clients pay me per hour but for the rest I’m selling my service as a product – it works out to be better for the client that way usually as well as my hourly rate is quite high. I’m very hesitant to outsource as I’ve had terrible experiences with it in the past so I think the best thing I can do is start hiring.

I love your website by the way! Although we’re in the same industry our services do not overlap so maybe there’ll be an opportunity for us to work together in the future :)

Hi Jeremy,

Can’t argue with a 100% success rate! Glad to hear you’re already selling your service as a product. I agree – it ends up being better for the clients too, because often they won’t know the kind of hours required to complete a task anyway. It’s much more transparent this way.

Agreed about outsourcing. Especially if you’re already extremely busy – you probably wouldn’t have the time to manage someone in this way even if you wanted to. How exciting that you’re looking at hiring already!

Thank you for the awesome feedback on our site – that is so kind! We’re totally open to linking in with others in the industry who don’t overlap. That’s something I really want to do more of. When you’re ready, we should have a chat sometime so I can hear more about what you do.

Cheers,

Angela :-)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.