Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Hi, first post here – Stephen

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Seek Estate
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi my name is Stephen.

I run a small business operating in a niche market letting users list their Properties privately.

I have had a few hits, but not many users sign up. I was wondering if you guys have had any experience with offering freebies to entice users to sign up and use your service.

I know flyingsolo has a three tiered membership system and that is what I would aim for eventually, but right now not many people are signing up.

My website is https://seek.estate

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Give us a real URL for your website and folk may reply to your post.

Until then you look like a scammer or spammer.

JohnW

Seek Estate
    Up
    JohnW, post: 189526 wrote:
    Give us a real URL for your website and folk may reply to your post.

Until then you look like a scammer or spammer.

JohnW

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. https://seek.estate is the real url. .estate is a new top Level Domain like .com.au or .co

JohnW
    Up
    Seek Estate, post: 189529 wrote:
    Hi John

Thanks for the reply. https://seek.estate is the real url. .estate is a new top Level Domain like .com.au or .co
    Hi Stephen,
    My sincere apologies.

I have missed this one.

The point is, I’m a 20 year veteran of Internet marketing. If I missed this new TLD, then there must be many less experienced folk who are equally ignorant and suspicious.

How will you address this issue?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Seek Estate
    Up
    JohnW, post: 189532 wrote:
    Hi Stephen,
    My sincere apologies.

I have missed this one.

The point is, I’m a 20 year veteran of Internet marketing. If I missed this new TLD, then there must be many less experienced folk who are equally ignorant and suspicious.

How will you address this issue?
    Regs,
    JohnW

Hi John

Thanks for the reply. That’s basically my problem. So far I’ve spent about $200 in adwords clicks to my site. I’ve received about 300 unique clicks to my site from various sources. The av. time on site has been 6 minutes, but I’ve barely received any signups.

I don’t know if it is the .estate domain name confusing people, or the layout and design of the site just doesn’t appeal to people. All my data is SSL encrypted because I want users to trust my website.

If it is the domain name, I will have to buy a .com domain and go down that path, but the .estate top level domain was built for real estate websites. Maybe it is just because it is too new.

JohnW
    Up

Hi Stephen,
    Now I’ve had a short look at your website I have to wonder about its ability to deliver relevant information.

Incentive offers don’t mean a thing if a website can’t deliver relevant information. (I searched for “Sydney” properties and did not find a single result.)

You don’t want to deliver “nothing” search result pages. You are telling people to not bother with your website.

When I search for Brisbane I get a few results.

The problem is the individual property listings I saw give so little information when compared with the industry leaders like RealEstate and Domain.

IMHO, you don’t have an incentive to act problem, you have a lack of relevant content for individual properties problem.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Seek Estate
    Up
    JohnW, post: 189538 wrote:
    Hi Stephen,
    Now I’ve had a short look at your website I have to wonder about its ability to deliver relevant information.

Incentive offers don’t mean a thing if a website can’t deliver relevant information. (I searched for “Sydney” properties and did not find a single result.)

You don’t want to deliver “nothing” search result pages. You are telling people to not bother with your website.

When I search for Brisbane I get a few results.

The problem is the individual property listings I saw give so little information when compared with the industry leaders like RealEstate and Domain.

IMHO, you don’t have an incentive to act problem, you have a lack of relevant content for individual properties problem.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Thanks John.

The problem is RealEstate and Domain have agents who pay $$$000’s to have the privilege of listing properties on their site. Private owners can’t list on those sites. But they get so much traffic everyday because they have huge advertising $$$ to throw at google.

My website offers private owners the ability to list their properties for free. I can’t afford an expensive marketing campaign to generate traffic. Which was why I was thinking of using freebies to attract users who can then add listings and populate my site with content so when the next guy searches for “Sydney” there will be stuff there.

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

HI Stephen

I’ve had a look at the site, from a design perspective a few things:

Logo – you don’t really have one, it’s just text small in the left corner. To me this doesn’t look like a brand i can trust, so would I risk listing my house on the site? Not sure.

Front page – it’s quite busy, I’m not quite sure where to look, there’s a message to the left, to the right, in the centre, I’ve got to search around too much to find out what the site is really about.

Navigation and search – this is a bit all over the place, it needs to be simplified.
    The filter navigation at the side doesn’t seem to work.
    Also is there a reason that everytime you click on something it opens a new window? From a brief look through the site, I now have about 10 windows open on my browser. It’s better if it all just stays in the one.

Marketing – have you got a facebook page? your market is person to person, I would imagine a lot of business has the potential to come from word of mouth. By starting a facebook page, you can get your friends on board to like it, they can share with their friends and so forth, so you can start building a community of people that are aware of the business.

I hope this helps! good luck with it

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Stephen

You have received some great replies already and if you have a take away from this forum it would be that you need to create a structured approach to your marketing.

As you well know without a massive budget, nothing happens overnight. People need to get to know you and your site and this may take them returning several times before they feel comfortable.

Have you considered seeing a business adviser or similar?

Seek Estate
    Up
    PineapplePear, post: 189557 wrote:
    HI Stephen

I’ve had a look at the site, from a design perspective a few things:

Logo – you don’t really have one, it’s just text small in the left corner. To me this doesn’t look like a brand i can trust, so would I risk listing my house on the site? Not sure.

Front page – it’s quite busy, I’m not quite sure where to look, there’s a message to the left, to the right, in the centre, I’ve got to search around too much to find out what the site is really about.

Navigation and search – this is a bit all over the place, it needs to be simplified.
    The filter navigation at the side doesn’t seem to work.
    Also is there a reason that everytime you click on something it opens a new window? From a brief look through the site, I now have about 10 windows open on my browser. It’s better if it all just stays in the one.

Marketing – have you got a facebook page? your market is person to person, I would imagine a lot of business has the potential to come from word of mouth. By starting a facebook page, you can get your friends on board to like it, they can share with their friends and so forth, so you can start building a community of people that are aware of the business.

I hope this helps! good luck with it

Hi Suzi

I really appreciate the wonderful feedback, and I’ve got a logo, fixed up the links opening new windows and am working on the main page. I have a new advertising campaign on reddit.com starting soon and I’m going to evaluate the results of that. I will setup a facebook page soon as well. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Seek Estate
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 189578 wrote:
    Hi Stephen

You have received some great replies already and if you have a take away from this forum it would be that you need to create a structured approach to your marketing.

As you well know without a massive budget, nothing happens overnight. People need to get to know you and your site and this may take them returning several times before they feel comfortable.

Have you considered seeing a business adviser or similar?

Thanks for the feedback. It was just that I was getting paid traffic coming into the website, but the conversion rate was next to nothing so I just wanted some honest opinions and feedback. I knew it was a risk going with a new .estate domain name, but I registered seek.estate , because seek is a familiar word with aussies so I hoped it would stick around in peoples minds.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.