Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi Flying Solo from VIC

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Theresa Sun
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hello everyone,

I am starting a new accounting business this year。I want to be more flexible in work so I can spend more time with my child.
    I am doing email tax return and BAS service for small business. It is such a hard time now to promote the business. Anyone want to share your ideas.

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

Welcome aboard :)

Te77Za
    • Total posts: 10
    Up

Hi Theresa,

Welcome to the community!
    I totally understand that you want to spend more time with your child. I have been working from home running a web design agency since I had my first baby girl and I wouldn’t have it any other way :)

I have the freedom to work around having kids and am able to spend quality time with them and have never miss out on anything. I wouldn’t change it for the world! My kids are thriving and my clients love me and respect my hours, I am usual up at 5am taking care of my clients before my kids even wake up.

You say “It is such a hard time now to promote the business.” I am not sure what you mean, but I would say the exact opposite!

Here’s my advice….

Now is the time to get your creative hat on and think BIG!

When I think accountant, small business, tax returns and BAS services I think how can I get the advice I need for my business to survive in these trying times…Who can I turn to for help? What is my business entitled to ?

Obviously the first step is to get a website, but when I say a website I don’t mean a boring old accountants website listing your services and your contact details. I mean a website targeting small business in your local area who are worried about their future and offering them expert advice and showing them how to put the governments stimulus package to work for them and to save their business.
    There are thousands of small businesses looking for tax advice right now!

How can they take advantage of the stimulus package?
    Will they get cash support from the government?
    Sole Traders in particular are concerned right now. Yes governments are supporting big business and those with employees and apprentices but what about those who don’t?
    These are all questions that people are searching google for answers right now…all night last night and for the next 3 months, people will be online looking for you. You need to be there answering there questions and promoting your business & services to them today.

So that’s my advice. Get online right now….Get a website right now. You can even use the increase in the instant tax write off to do something big so take advantage of it :)

Cheers,
    Tez

Lucy Kippist
    • Total posts: 230
    Up

Hi Tez,
    I love this advice, thank you for sharing it. Was hoping we could share this as an article on Flying Solo actually? If that’s okay with you, are you able to send me your business website so I can add to the story?
    [email protected]

And Theresa, best of luck with starting your business. I know you are in good company as a mum trying to start something to be more available to your kids and their needs. A good 60% of our members are in a similar boat.

Please keep us updated and welcome.

Many thanks,
    Lucy

Te77Za, post: 269123, member: 116703 wrote:
    Hi Theresa,

I totally understand that you want to spend more time with your child. I have been working from home running a web design agency since I had my first baby girl and I wouldn’t have it any other way :)

I have the freedom to work around having kids and am able to spend quality time with them and have never miss out on anything. I wouldn’t change it for the world! My kids are thriving and my clients love me and respect my hours, I am usual up at 5am taking care of my clients before my kids even wake up.

You say “It is such a hard time now to promote the business.” I am not sure what you mean, but I would say the exact opposite!

Here’s my advice….

When I think accountant, small business, tax returns and BAS services I think how can I get the advice I need for my business to survive in these trying times…Who can I turn to for help? What is my business entitled to ?

Obviously the first step is to get a website, but when I say a website I don’t mean a boring old accountants website listing your services and your contact details. I mean a website targeting small business in your local area who are worried about their future and offering them expert advice and showing them how to put the governments stimulus package to work for them and to save their business.

Sole Traders in particular are concerned right now. Yes governments are supporting big business and those with employees and apprentices but what about those who don’t?
    These are all questions that people are searching google for answers right now…all night last night and for the next 3 months, people will be online looking for you. You need to be there answering there questions and promoting your business & services to them today.

So that’s my advice. Get online right now….Get a website right now. You can even use the increase in the instant tax write off to do something big so take advantage of it :)

Cheers,
    Tez

Te77Za
    Up

Hi Lucy,

I am glad you found my advice insightful and yes of course I am happy for you to share this as an article.
    My web address is http://www.hillswebdesign.com
    All the best,
    Tez

heylouise
    Participant
    • Total posts: 86
    Up

Hi and welcome Teresa. I hope you find the help you need here.

Great advice, Tez!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    Te77Za, post: 269123, member: 116703 wrote:
    Hi Theresa,

Here’s my advice….

Cheers,
    Tez

To the OP just remember this post has just one aim to sell you a website, excellent advertising for the respondent, but is it really what you need or want, remember most small business’s already have an accountant, so are they really going to hire you just because you have a fancy website. Don’t get sucked in by what is a great sales pitch.

I am not saying you don’t need a great website, but will your target audience really be looking in that direction. Remember in times of difficulty most people are reluctant to go from the service provider they know, because remember their current accountant already knows their exact ins and outs. Don’t get sucked in.

heylouise
    Participant
    • Total posts: 86
    Up
    bb1, post: 269140, member: 53375 wrote:
    To the OP just remember this post has just one aim to sell you a website, excellent advertising for the respondent, but is it really what you need or want, remember most small business’s already have an accountant, so are they really going to hire you just because you have a fancy website. Don’t get sucked in by what is a great sales pitch.

I am not saying you don’t need a great website, but will your target audience really be looking in that direction. Remember in times of difficulty most people are reluctant to go from the service provider they know, because remember their current accountant already knows their exact ins and outs. Don’t get sucked in.

May be true, but if they are looking for a new accountant, then a better website would help seal the deal. If I had to choose between a professional one, and “abcaccountaint123 [dot] wixsites [dot] com” – well, the choice is obvious.

Te77Za
    Up
    bb1, post: 269140, member: 53375 wrote:

Although my post is a few weeks old I think I was pretty spot on with my humble advice.

I think if Theresa had the help she needed to get online 4 weeks ago when she first put out the call for some ideas she would be in a pretty fantastic spot right now.

I hear your point about most businesses wanting to stay put, because their existing accountnat already “knows the ins and outs” of their business….

…..but what about the thousands of small business and sole traders like us who have never used an accountant and do it all solo?
    If there was ever a time that I would splash out big dollars for a professional accountant or BAS Agent it would be now….and the first place I would look would be online for a local accountant who is an expert on the current climate.

Theresa, I hope you took a leap of faith and ended up going for your new online business and are smashing it out of the park right now :)

Tez

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.