Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from a Qld Member

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    beckles
    • Total posts: 41
    Up
    ::

Hello good people!

Been lurking for a couple of weeks while I work on getting my new business off the ground and then thought why wait until it’s launched to introduce myself here??

I’m a freelance technical writer and trainer – basically I develop training material and programs for companies that either develop software themselves or are deploying new software within their organisations. I’ve been doing this for 16 years and have had a lot of fun and travel with it.

However, with the demise of my last contract a couple of weeks ago, it did occur to me that I have a library of documentation that I have developed and used for various clients – why not update it and sell it online? Hence the birth of The Document Shop.

Staff training, especially for popular IT software, can be a major strain on any budget, and at The Document Shop, companies, businesses and govt departments will be able to purchase a range of different training materials for use within their organisation. Anything from printed manuals, quick reference sheets to computer based training modules (CBT) that can be run off your computer or Intranet.

I’m still in the process of getting the website together, getting the material ready for sale, and developing a marketing strategy, so it’s a busy time, especially when juggling a 1 year old, 2 teenagers and a hubby that works full time :)

I’ve given myself 8 weeks to get this show up and running – seems like plenty of time when you start though lol

Looking forward to getting advice from everyone!

Cheers

beck

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up

Hi Rebecca

That’s a great post! Very detailed and informative.

I’m sure you’ll find lots of helpful posters here. Let me know if I can help!

Richard

Ali Dark
    Participant
    • Total posts: 101
    Up

I think it’s so cool that
    1. you’ve recognised value in what you’re doing that it easily (usually!) overlooked, and
    2. you’re going out on a limb to market it in your own way

I’m currently developing some resources for people doing exactly what you are, I’ll be in touch!

Advice? Blog. It will demonstrate your passion and expertise, as well as fill out your web presence with topical information.

Blog for your target market – which will bring them to your door, or blog for your peers, which will make you look like a super expert to your target market as well as allowing you to get into more detail and become and industry name quicker. Something to think about.

Anyway, it’s nice to see you here.

beckles
    Up

Thank you for the kind welcome gentlemen!

I’m afraid being verbose when posting on forums is a side affect of writing for a living Richard ;)

Ali – great minds think alike! Chris from Frontbox also suggested starting a blog and last night I started to set one up. I already own the domain theofficeguru.com.au and I’m unashamedly passionate Microsoft Office products and given it will make up the bulk of my training material topics, it makes sense to blog about that!

Loving this forum already!

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

Hi Rebbecca,

Welcome!

I enjoy reading posts and blogs from those that can write well. It’s a dream for those of us with vivid imaginations.

I look forward to reading your blogs and hope you will post us the link when it’s up and running. I’m guilty of buying a few pc mags because they have good tips and tricks for MS products.

Happy Easter,

Jake@EmroyPrint
    • Total posts: 1,117
    Up

Hi Rebecca,

Welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on your new business venture and all the best – Keep us all posted.

One tip? (Although, I have recently been told that only men needs lists like this, women apparently don’t – either way …)

I had a few weeks like you did so I found it was handy to keep a list of what needs to be done and when.

Speaking of Microsoft, I used project which was very helpful.

Best wishes,

– Jake

beckles
    Up

Thanks Jake – I was just thinking this morning I need to make a plan or list that’s not just in my head lol!

My biggest issue at the moment is time – I’ve been a WAHM for a couple of years now and when the kids are older (like my 2 sons), it’s easy to get work done during the day. But we now have a 1 year old, so it’s not so easy to get more than an hour or 2 during the day, which means some long nights at the moment. So a defined list & plan is what I need to do to help keep me on track!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Beck
    Welcome to the gang! It’s lovely to meet you.

Thought you might get a giggle from this article – your last post reminded me of it ;-)

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/p315602007_The-ultimate-time-management-tool.html

Happy Easter, and I will look forward to getting to know you on the boards.
    Jayne

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.