Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from a sunny Melbourne!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sianas
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi All

Yes today in Melbourne it is sunny hahah

I am the inventor of a new cosmetic accessory that doesn’t exist and am just in the process of getting a prototype made.

I have a question. The first designer I found to help make the prototype was getting difficult and he decided he didn’t want to go any further, go figure so I have found a new person. I had a meeting with them and sent them an email the next day saying I was ready to go and then two weeks later they sent an invoice to get started. I contacted them during this time to say I was waiting yet they still took their time. They said they were busy. I just find I am waiting a long time to get a response from these people regardless the issue.

Every time I get a new designer they have to sign a confidentiality agreement I just don’t want to keep signing these.

Not sure what to do. Would you continue with this person or move on?

Wish everyone all the success in the world with their business.

Thank-you
    Sia

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums Sia!

Unfortunately the pattern of behaviour you are experiencing now is probably your best guide to how they’ll behave during the rest of the process.

What you might find is that manufacturers don’t place a high priority on prototypes, because there’s not a lot of money in it for them. If a bigger order comes in, for example, they’ll put it ahead of yours.

For developing a prototype you might favour smaller, more local companies, so you can get the extra attentiveness you need, and ideally someone who you can call or have an in-person discussion with. Especially if you’re going to work with them on version2, version3, etc.

Not sure if that helps, but hope you work it out!
    Dave

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Beside what [USER=49676]@Dave – FS Concierge[/USER] said, but also consider that although you may think this product is as good as sliced bread, but the people you are bringing in really don’t see much potential for it, and as such don’t see much point in putting to much effort to it.

Not every new idea is a winner

sianas
    Up
    Dave – FS Concierge, post: 269451, member: 49676 wrote:
    Welcome to the forums Sia!

Unfortunately the pattern of behaviour you are experiencing now is probably your best guide to how they’ll behave during the rest of the process.

What you might find is that manufacturers don’t place a high priority on prototypes, because there’s not a lot of money in it for them. If a bigger order comes in, for example, they’ll put it ahead of yours.

For developing a prototype you might favour smaller, more local companies, so you can get the extra attentiveness you need, and ideally someone who you can call or have an in-person discussion with. Especially if you’re going to work with them on version2, version3, etc.

Not sure if that helps, but hope you work it out!
    Dave

Hi Dave thanks for responding. Its not a manufacturer I am dealing with it is a designer and the company is a small one. I think I will move on I hate been kept waiting this long I feel like I am at the bottom of their list and I just want to get a move on.

sianas
    Up
    bb1, post: 269453, member: 53375 wrote:
    Beside what [USER=49676]@Dave – FS Concierge[/USER] said, but also consider that although you may think this product is as good as sliced bread, but the people you are bringing in really don’t see much potential for it, and as such don’t see much point in putting to much effort to it.

Not every new idea is a winner

Hi Bert that is a sobering thought! Everyone I have spoken to says they cant believe no-one has thought of it already and this designer said it was a great idea and to make sure to get people to sign NDA’s. I think the problem is that its a small project and will not make them much money so they are just making me wait. But not much longer I think I will move on.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.