Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from Andrew!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up
    ::

Hello all, saw a link on news.com.au and came to check it out.

Nice forums! Speaking of which… my website is Australian Competitions located at http://www.lottos.com.au/.

The competitions website has been online since 2000.

If you’re looking for ways to build your email contact lists, competitions are a very cost effective way to do this so please consider running competitions for your marketing needs.

Cheers for now!

– Andrew

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up
    competitions, post: 3177 wrote:
    Nice forums! Speaking of which… my website is Australian Competitions located at ….

Wow..

If you listen carefully you can almost hear the site losing value because of that example of truly terrible social marketing

competitions
    Up
    mike@engagemarketing, post: 3180 wrote:
    Wow..

If you listen carefully you can almost hear the site losing value because of that example of truly terrible social marketing

Nice…

I didn’t really know what to say, long day and tired. I’m not a marketing guru like yourself.
    The site may be losing value because of cheap shots like yours Mike.
    Members don’t stick around when insulted, lucky I’m thick skinned.

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Is this blatent self promotion?

competitions
    Up

Gee I dunno, seems most of the members posts here are ‘self promotion’. Look at members signatures and posts, they are mostly just that. I guess that you’re part of a ‘clicky’ group here.

ray_223
    • Total posts: 594
    Up

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the group.

I don’t know if there is an official FAQ for the forum … but generally a post with little else but one sentence and link to your business site is considered spam.

It is a fine line because as you say, lots of people do promote themselves on here … but “usually” when someone else asks a question, then they respond and may include an “email or call me”.

Other people do post links to their websites, but usually asking for feedback on a particular area.

I’m sure you can understand if there are no rules then the forum will quickly loose it’s value and just become a link fest!

I hope you do stick around because it is a great community.

competitions
    Up

Thanks for the generous welcome Ray, much appreciated.

My first post was rather lacking in content, sorry to all members about that.

I’m not really one that has much to say but I’ll certainly be sticking around to read and if appropriate, post a reply.

mike@engagemarketing
    Up

Hi Andrew,
    my apologies for the response made last night. I made the assumption that you were like many that have joined recently, made a post about your product or service, only to never return again. I was highlighting the fact that people that do this are only hurting their brand and wasting their time.

I am glad that there is a person behind the post and hope that you stick around and enjoy this great community.

Cheers,
    Michael

Peter – FS Administrator
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up

Hi Andrew,

Welcome and thanks for joining the forums! We do hope you’ll stick around and stay involved in the discussions.

As Ray mentioned, we recognise that this discussion topic stems from the need for some clear community posting guidelines around self-promotion, signatures etc…

As things grow these will become more important to help people participate in valuable discussions. Over the last few weeks we have been drafting some detailed guidelines to help address this and will be posting them shortly.

Thanks again Andrew and everyone for being a part of the community’s evolution and we look forward to seeing you in the threads.

Cheers,
    Robert, Sam & Peter

competitions
    Up
    mike@engagemarketing, post: 3207 wrote:
    Hi Andrew,
    my apologies for the response made last night. I made the assumption that you were like many that have joined recently, made a post about your product or service, only to never return again. I was highlighting the fact that people that do this are only hurting their brand and wasting their time.

I am glad that there is a person behind the post and hope that you stick around and enjoy this great community.

Cheers,
    Michael

No worries Mike, I understand the reasons, I have my own headaches with spammers and see the problems this causes, most originate from overseas in my situation though, rarely see an Aussie one!

competitions
    Up
    FS Administrator, post: 3208 wrote:
    Hi Andrew,

Welcome and thanks for joining the forums! We do hope you’ll stick around and stay involved in the discussions.

As Ray mentioned, we recognise that this discussion topic stems from the need for some clear community posting guidelines around self-promotion, signatures etc…

As things grow these will become more important to help people participate in valuable discussions. Over the last few weeks we have been drafting some detailed guidelines to help address this and will be posting them shortly.

Thanks again Andrew and everyone for being a part of the community’s evolution and we look forward to seeing you in the threads.

Cheers,
    Robert, Sam & Peter

Hi FS Administrator (Robert or Sam or Peter I assume!)

I’m still here, so will be hopefully a valuable community member.

[edit]Just an idea – you’ve probably already considered this or are aware of it, but many forums have settings that won’t allow signatures to show on topics/posts until the member has made a specific number of posts to stop one off post spammers.

cheers

Andrew

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

Welcome Andrew, glad you stayed and hope you enjoy and take a way heaps.

To be completely honest, after seeing your first post, I would’ve landed on you like a pregnant hippo too. This forum IS new, and being new is experiencing some growing pains. A major one of them being folks that drop in, have a “1” or “2” next to their post count, and then disappear never again to return while we rip their post to shreds and prove their hideous self-promotion and branding. Sadly, several have been Aussie, which is poo for this forum, but shiesters are everywhere.

I haven’t looked at your site (I will) but I do sincerely appreciate that you came back, stood up for yourself, and are now interested in becoming a contributing member. In your defence, you didn’t know the troubles that we’ve had with the spamming, and your most recent idea about the forum sigs and links from posts is getting more and more attention to the FS folks, I can assure you. They’re a savvy bunch, and I’m sure things’ll tighten up soon.

So anyway, welcome again. There’s lots of great advice and thoughiness getting thrown around on here, and you’ll probably even find that those that were ready to take you apart earlier will soon be some of your favourite posters.

‘Cept Burgo, he’d just as soon eatcha as look atcha… reLAX B, I’m kidding!

competitions
    Up

Thanks Jex, I see you’re from Perth. Lived there late ’80’s and loved the lifestyle, especially Scarborough Beach. Sunday afternoons spent at Club Atlantis. Or Sail and Anchor in Freo or Slim Jim and the Fats band at um, some beach hotel. Yeah!

Thanks for looking at my site, I admit it’s rather lacklustre in regard to images etc.

mike@engagemarketing
    Up

Hi Andrew,
    thank you for your response and congratulations with the PR you have received as shown on your website.

Cheers,
    Michael

competitions
    Up

Thanks Mike, PR such as free TV coverage can really help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.