Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from Cathy at Two10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Cathy@Two10
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently joined Flying Solo after 12 months of working solo and starting to feel a little isolated!

I work on graphic and web design projects, and have a network of other design freelancers that I collaborate with where I can. I’m a big believer that more input equals better value for my clients, and I am happiest working as project manager in this way!

I am keen to meet other small business owners, to bounce ideas off, and foster a sense of community. Australia is a great place to strike out on your own – the colonial spirit! – and I’m so excited about what the future holds for me, both personally and in my business.

See you round!

Cheers,
    Cathy

GoldBear
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Flying Solo. I hope that we can cure your sense of loneliness. Yes, when I first started I felt the same way from my home office and ended up talking a lot to my cocker spaniel. He was good with the office politics because he was a good listener, lol! :p

These forums really are a breath of fresh air, and I hope they benefit you as they have me. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know – I can try to answer.

I’ll just ping you one of my ideas if I may:
    Would you know if having a facebook page as a local small business is worth it?
    Is the paid advertising on facebook good?

Doug

Mary Gardam
    • Total posts: 192
    Up

Hi Cathy,

Welcome, it’s great to have you join us on the forum.

Apart from joining in this great forum, I’ve also found the flying solo meet ups are a great excuse to get out of the “office” and are a good opportunity to bounce ideas off and share the odd frustration with other small business owners in a relaxed, friendly environment.

I’m not sure where you are based but I’d suggest checking if there is a group meeting near you. There is even a group trialling a Skype meet up.

Good luck with your business. It sounds like you are doing very well.

See you around the forum.

Mary

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Hi Cathy

Welcome, what a great place you have found to break the ‘flyingsolo’ syndrome up a little as well as finding somewhere to grab a chat..

Since joining here, i have forged some friendships as well as learnt how to break the routine of FS and spend some time searching the forums for some input on areas i personally get stuck in..

Cheers and look forward to seeing you here.

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Thanks for your lovely introduction message Cathy :)

Hanging out here is a great way to cure isolation, and as Mary suggested, attending meet-ups is also fantastic.

I hope you enjoy your time here, and will look forward to chatting with you at the water cooler.

Jayne

Cathy@Two10
    Up
    GoldBear, post: 156691 wrote:
    Hi Cathy,

Welcome to Flying Solo. I hope that we can cure your sense of loneliness. Yes, when I first started I felt the same way from my home office and ended up talking a lot to my cocker spaniel. He was good with the office politics because he was a good listener, lol! :p

These forums really are a breath of fresh air, and I hope they benefit you as they have me. If I can be of any assistance, please let me know – I can try to answer.

I’ll just ping you one of my ideas if I may:
    Would you know if having a facebook page as a local small business is worth it?
    Is the paid advertising on facebook good?

Doug

Hi Doug,

My partner and I foster pound dogs, so when I’ve got some canine companionship it really helps. And dogs are really good listeners, aren’t they? :)

I haven’t really got a big presence on Facebook at the moment, I’m still working out how to leverage that one. And I haven’t any experience with the paid advertising. Sorry I couldn’t be more help!

Cheers,
    Cathy

Cathy@Two10
    Up
    mg, post: 156725 wrote:
    Hi Cathy,

Welcome, it’s great to have you join us on the forum.

Apart from joining in this great forum, I’ve also found the flying solo meet ups are a great excuse to get out of the “office” and are a good opportunity to bounce ideas off and share the odd frustration with other small business owners in a relaxed, friendly environment.

I’m not sure where you are based but I’d suggest checking if there is a group meeting near you. There is even a group trialling a Skype meet up.

Good luck with your business. It sounds like you are doing very well.

See you around the forum.

Mary

Hi Mary!

Thanks for your kind message. Yes, I’ve started looking into the meetups, and hope to get a chance to go to one soon.

I’ll try to find the Skype one, that sounds like a really good idea!

Cheers,
    Cathy

Cathy@Two10
    Up

Thank you all for your kind messages. It’s really nice to see how welcoming everyone is here!

I look forward to seeing more of you all around the forums.

Cheers,
    Cathy

Kath6707
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Cathy,
    Welcome. I have been working from home for almost 3 years now, and can relate to the feeling of isolation it can bring. I run an online store, and would love to have direct contact with my customers, but due to the nature of my business this rarely happens. Besides this, i wouldn’t change a thing. I love running my own business, and have my cat by my side all day so i don’t end up talking to myself. I’m very interested in a meet up via skype too, i live too far out of the way to go to the face to face ones.

All the best,
    Kath

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Nice to see you on here Cathy! :)

Cathy@Two10
    Up

Thanks Leah! I thought it was high time I came out of my virtual shell!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.