Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from half a spare bedroom

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MG2306
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi FS people,

I started my own accounting and tax practice from home about six months ago. It’s going great, and I have managed to convince my two daughters that Daddy needs to use half of their playroom for an office. Goals for remaining FY2014 include sorting out a space outside home to use for work, making enough money to keep the wolves at bay, and developing a solid business growth strategy beyond that. To that end, does anyone have any knowledge/experience of getting an external person in to be a board member/mentor/coach? Issues I am struggling with at the moment are: staying on top of admin versus completing chargeable value adding work, client mix (spending a lot of time on ‘problem’ clients that I can’t pass costs onto in terms of chargeable hours), and the old chestnut of staying focussed.

Thanks

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there MG2306,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for telling us a little of your story.

We have some fantastic coaches and advisors around here, and I’m sure people will share their experiences with you.

If you decide to go ahead and work with someone, probably the best idea is to decide whether you want to work face to face or by phone/email/skype and then if it’s face-to-face let us know your location so suitable people can put themselves forward or others can make recommendations for you.

It’s also worth taking a browse through the list of business coaches in the Flying Solo directory.

I hope that helps, and that you get some ideas to help you rediscover your focus quickly!

All the best,
    Jayne

Michelle Johnson
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

Hi there,
    Welcome to the forums – I have sent you a private message to give you an idea of what I could do to help.

Al the best with your journey and have fun!

Michelle

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi There, welcome to flying solo. We all have to start somewhere. I could help with some sales and marketing.

I also have sent you a PM.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi MG2306

Congrats on being in business for yourself and having some clients to begin with.

Setting up a board is a great strategy for Small Business, finding the trusted members is often difficult though as generally it is a voluntary position for the benefit of your business. Once you have the members though you can meet quarterly and strategise about your business and they work to keep you accountable to your goals.

An adviser, coach or mentor will work in a similar way but will keep you accountable, give you ideas, brainstorm, and the list goes on……..
    This option will likely cost you unless you can come up with a contra deal (be wary of that though too). The costs vary a lot and so too what you receive.

Most coaches and advisers will give you an initial session (in real life, by Skype, phone or email) for no cost so you can see if you click or gel with them and they with you.

Having a trusted professional can make a huge difference to your business success, particularly for small business and it can be surprisingly affordable too.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

Don’t be afraid to dump difficult clients, there are plenty of nice people out there. Spend your time with the good clients.

Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

Hi MG2306,

Welcome to the forum.
    Your challenges are similar to most professionals.
    Building in those lost hours into your rates and being picky with your clients will help ease some of the issues. Good luck with it.

Steve

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.