Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from newly set up Accountant

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    luksy
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone, my name is Andrew Luks and I run Luks Consulting, my bookkeeping and accounting business located in Newcastle, NSW.

I have run this business as a sideline business firstly outside my full-time employment, then part-time until now; I’ve been full-time for the last 3 weeks and it’s pretty scary to be honest! Seeing the leads out there though, I know there’s a good business here that will give me the same wage I had in employment, but with greater flexibility and no boss to report to! My last boss made my life hell at work, which made making this step even sweeter.

I’m focusing on bookkeeping for small to medium businesses, as well as management accounting, compliance and financial accounting. I am a Chartered Accountant and registered tax agent. I work with Xero, Saasu, MYOB and Quickbooks.

I have a great deal of experience and charge far less than most accountants, seeing as I work from home and have minimal overheads.

My website is at http://www.luksconsulting.com.au

Thanks everyone, any tips on marketing etc would be much appreciated because I need to work on how to sell myself!

Cheers

Andrew

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi Andrew and welcome

I think that the best type of marketing for your business will be networking. This way people will get to know you and want to do business with you. Also look to something like a local BNI group, it may be hard to find one without an accountant or book keeper but this should be a good way to generate business.

Hope you enjoy the FS forums

luksy
    Up

Hi MissSassy, thanks for your response!

I’ll definitely get out onto the networking trail, just need to find the best value for money. I tried BNI however maybe it was my chapter, but everyone there was quite small, mostly under the GST threshold and didn’t appear to be growing much. The leads weren’t great either. However I have heard great things about larger chapters. I’ll keep my eye out and may jump in again. Until then I think it’s the local business chamber!

Thanks again, have a good one!

Andrew

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Andrew,

Welcome to Flying Solo!

What an exciting stage you’re at…best of luck and please do keep us updated with your progress. :)

Dave

luksy
    Up

Hi Dave, thanks for the encouragement!

Andrew

MD Clean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 308
    Up

Hi Andrew,

I suggest making the font on your website much larger – say 16-18 px.

I don’t like the “UsMe” thing you have going on.

An idea of typical prices would be great.

Case Studies would also be great.

Good luck.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up
    MD Clean, post: 204475 wrote:
    Hi Andrew,

I don’t like the “UsMe” thing you have going on.

I agree.

I have a great deal of experience and charge far less than most accountants, seeing as I work from home and have minimal overheads.

Why far less? You won’t always be working from home, then you’ll want to raise your fees and upset existing clients. Start out on the right footing, maybe charge less but not far less.

luksy
    Up

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the feedback, I wasn’t sure on the us/me thing so I’ll go through and amend it now. Will also do the font size.

Will also draft some case studies, thanks again.

Pricing is a tough one, but I should be able to come up with an indication. Nobody puts prices up so it would be great to have that as a point of difference. Bookkeeping costs for businesses will vary based on the amount of work, but as I said, an indicative range should be achievable.

Thanks also The Hobbit for your feedback, much appreciated. I’ll take it on board. I guess how much less I charge depends on which accountant I’m comparing to as well!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.