Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from Perth :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Vik_Per
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone! (waves)
    So glad i found you all :) I am about to start my very first e store so i will be checking out lots of posts on this forum.
    I will be starting up an online store geared towards makeup artists so selling cosmetics mainly.
    I have registered a business name, bought a domain from Go Daddy and have sent off an application for aus trademark.
    I am confident the store will do well as i think i have hit a niche.
    My biggest concern at the moment is finding an ecommerse building site. My private website (i am a makeup artist) is through wix and i love it as its easy and just suits me. However, i am not sure the wix will be ok as a store. Im not wanting to sell lots of products to begin with, but i do want an easy website builder (i have no experience in this except for using wix) and one i can build with easily. I have looked at shopify/Big Commerce but they charge 2% transaction on top of payment gateways? Volusion i looked at too but felt let down by the gateway options/pricing. So Im looking for a cheaper option to start with.
    Any suggestions? Is highwire, ashop, etc ok? A good gateway option? Is Paypal sufficient to begin with?
    Anyway enough of me rambling…lol Just wanted to say hi and about to make a cuppa and check out this wonderful forum :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there Vik_Per,

Thanks for your kind feedback about Flying Solo, and for sharing a little of your story with us.

I hope you pick up lots of handy info here to help you get your new business up and running.

All the best with it,
    Jayne

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

I would suggest that you try to start the store in the way that you wish to run it long term.

Platforms like wordpress are really by far the best for your business.

Some of the other available platforms don’t allow you to move your site once set up so make sure with wix or similar that you can move at a later stage.

Speak to a few web designers and see what you come up with as this will be easier for the long term success of your site.

Daniel Mitchell
    • Total posts: 56
    Up
    MissSassy, post: 192737 wrote:
    I would suggest that you try to start the store in the way that you wish to run it long term. Second that. Think ahead a couple of years and make sure you’ll be able to scale accordingly. Things can always be changed, but not necessarily easily. Hopefully you’ll soon have more important things (i.e. selling) to worry about than dealing with technical issues. Fortunately using common platforms makes this relatively easy and as long as you make some good choices you should be good to go. I’m not overly familiar personally with which platform is best (I operate in a different market) but you’ve made a good first step by asking for advice.
    Vik_Per
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

Thanks everyone! :) Definately going to look at a site i can grow with. I have to learn to trust my instincts more when it comes to business i think. As they say…Feel the fear and do it anyway :) xx

wimp
    • Total posts: 42
    Up

Hi and welcome.

Having just gone through the setup process myself,
    I can relate to where you are at.
    I agree with the other guys, that using a platform that will enable you to grow,
    without the need to constantly keep updating is a good option.
    Build the foundation right, this will enable you to move on quicker,
    To sort through all the other (million) things to do. LOL :)

All the best.
    Dave.

GlensWebDesign
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Vik_Per ! Great to see another Perthian on here! :)

There are a few ways you can get an e-commerce store up and running and can vary on your budget, theres pretty much no limit on how much you can spend on an e-commerce site. I have seen sites set up on a shoe string budget that do the job all the way up to some sites that have a $10,000 price tag (no, really).

A great content management platform which is great for e-commerce, which has been mentioned already, is wordpress. WordPress is great in the sense that you can really customize it to what you want it to do.

There are a few other content management platforms out there as well, Joomla, Magento to name a few.

The strength of these over the “out of the box do everything for you” e-commerce services mentioned is your customization takes a hit per say and you are sometimes stuck with what their layout and designs dictate.

If you ever need any advice, always happy to help out :)

I hope your business goes extremely well and you become filthy rich and have lots of fun doing it ;) Keep us updated!

All the best :)

tonyk
    • Total posts: 1,430
    Up

I agree with what has been said by a few others on here. WordPress is the way to go for two simple reasons. Not only is the content management system usable by anyone, but with WordPress there are so many themes that you can choose from to make your site look as professional as it needs to. All the best with your venture.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.