Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi From Rochelle May – The App world

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RochelleMay
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

I am very new to this site – found it while doing some research online today.

I am a 27 year old very driven female who is looking for some direction in the “App world”.

I have two ideas for apps which I would love to have developed but wanting to know the best avenue to go.

I have had some quotes from local companies which are onwards of $15,000 (possibly around the $30,000 mark) for one of the apps which I feel could be a little high.

Can anyone give me some guidance in finding an investor, an off shore company or the right way to go about sourcing a freelance developer?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am very passionate about the two ideas and only wish I had that kind of money floating around to get the ball rolling.

Cheers

Rochelle

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Rochelle,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and good on you for deciding to have a go :)

I hope that some of our resident app and tech experts can point you in the right direction.

Good luck,
    Jayne

BuddyBoy
    • Total posts: 27
    Up

Hi Rochelle May,

I have a friend who wanted an app for his company and it would have been $3000 provided the company owned the rights to the app or $15000 if he kept the rights to it.
    If you want the app to sell and make you money, you should protect the ownership of it and that will cost a lot.

That’s all I know but I hope it helps a little.

P.S I hope you are not sharing the idea when getting quotes.

Luke Jones
    • Total posts: 32
    Up
    RochelleMay, post: 194223 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am very new to this site – found it while doing some research online today.

I am a 27 year old very driven female who is looking for some direction in the “App world”.

I have two ideas for apps which I would love to have developed but wanting to know the best avenue to go.

I have had some quotes from local companies which are onwards of $15,000 (possibly around the $30,000 mark) for one of the apps which I feel could be a little high.

Can anyone give me some guidance in finding an investor, an off shore company or the right way to go about sourcing a freelance developer?

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

I am very passionate about the two ideas and only wish I had that kind of money floating around to get the ball rolling.

Cheers

Rochelle

Hi Rochelle,

My business develops apps so I can point you in the right direction.

I can’t comment about the quotes that you’ve been provided as I’m not sure how difficult your ideas are, but we often find that people underestimate how much time and love needs to go in an app. Even a small thing like coming up with a great icon takes time, multiple iterations and therefore money.

If you’re looking for an investor I actually would advise you to go down another path. I’d suggest to go to some local meetups (search http://www.meetup.com for app or entrepreneurs) and you might be lucky and find a technical co-founder. Then you could focus on sales, execution, design, etc and they could code the app.

I’m not a huge fan of offshoring as we often have clients come to us after burning a bit of cash with these guys. Another alternative is if you professionally develop the requirements for the app (something my business does) and then you can offshore the build. At least we’ll be able to guide you through the tricky parts that are often overlooked.

I love the passion people have about their ideas so I hope this helps. Feel free to give us a call if you need some more specific pointers.

Cheers,
    Luke

p.s. make sure you get a signed NDA when you’re talking to anyone about your great ideas :-)

expatpat1
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Hi Rochelle,
    good luck with your apps it’s great that you are taking the plunge and going for it. There has been some good advice from posters so far, so just wanted to add my two cents worth.
    1/If you’re not wedded to doing this all on your own, it might be worth partnering with someone who’s a developer as your CTO. You can find people at meetups (as has already been mentioned), or the numerous co-founder matching sites that are now out there e.g Silicon Beach, Founder2Be, cofounderslab etc.

2/If you do hire someone to do the development it helps to both communicate the vision and keep costs down if you have a wireframe mockup to show the developers what you want. You can use a free app like popapp.in to do this

3/If you pay for development work, make sure you structure the payments based on milestones rather than all up front, and make sure that your contracts states that you own all rights to the IP

4/It’s very difficult to get funding based soley on an idea, especially in Australia, but it is possible. One place to look at is incubators such as iLab or Innovyz. Angel list, and ASSOB are also other places to look although they tend to focus on products at least in the MVP/prototype stage. That said, I’ve met a couple of startup founders who’ve both had paying customers and investors before they’ve produced a single line of code.

5/A lot of investors will tend to look at the team/person involved in the idea rather than the idea since developing an idea is almost the easy part. The harder part is turning it into a viable business. An alternative way to do this (I don’t know what sort of revenue you’re projecting for your app) is to find paying customer BEFORE you develop your app. This not only validates your idea, but also provides you with startup finance, and a way to show prospective investors that yours is a viable business.

6/As mentioned before meetups are a great way to meet investors. Also groups such as TiECon. The main reason for this is that angel/VC investors will largely only consider people that have come through their network of contacts than a cold call/email because they get pitched to so often.

7/NDA’s – Tricky one this. There was a time when that would have been extremely important. These days, if you’re pitching an idea to an investor, and ask them to sign an NDA there’s a very good chance they will turn down the opportunity. There are so many ideas out there that they are focused on the execution on the idea rather than the idea itself. It’s extremely unlikely that they will steal the idea and try to implement it themselves. The other good thing about sharing (especially at startup events), is that this is a good way of validating your idea with fellow startup entrepreneurs.

8/Re offshore. I agree with the other posters. Don’t do it unless you have experience of technology or of project management. If you do want to do it because of cost, get yourself a local person who either has offshore resources or is experienced in managing offshore resources, otherwise you may end up with a mess that will cost more to fix than doing it locally in the first place.

Sorry for the long winded answer, hope some of it has helped. Happy to answer any startup related questions you have if you need more advice.

Cheers
    Pat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.