Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from Russell Island Qld

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    GaryGlass
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Greetings all,
    My wife has registered me as a member of Flying Solo so I can research marketing ideas from those in the know and fellow members.

I own Russell Island Glass and Glazing, the only glass business on the Southern Moreton Bay Islands (4). The business was established in 2009, a year after I regain the use of my legs (10 years in a wheelchair). With ongoing pain I am restricted in what I do, but being as stubborn as I am, sometimes my injuries get the better of me. However business has been good more so in new work – security & flyscreens, shower screens, robe doors etc – the work is light and I have a great workshop setup.

Recently my wife lost her job – and at 52 is finding it a little hard out there. I wish she could stay at home and work for me, BUT we don’t know how to manage that. I don’t work 8 hrs a day flat out, but we earn enough to pay the suppliers and keep a little on hand. She has researched Govt sites (no good), so I wondered if anyone could offer advise on how to keep her employed with me.

Any advise would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Gary

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

G’day Gary,

Thank you so much for sharing some of your story with us – it is very inspiring.

What kind of skills does your wife have? That information might help people put forward some good suggestions.

Welcome to Flying Solo too, by the way. I hope you pick up lots of handy ideas here to help you guys and your business thrive.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

Toner Bee
    • Total posts: 17
    Up

Welcome to the forums. This is the perfect place to pick up plenty of valuable information. I hope you enjoy your time on here.

GaryGlass
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Hi Jayne

Thank you for your email, my wife is an administrator/accounts person, she does my paperwork when I need it, but I hoped that she could be employed by me as a “part timer”, but would that mean I would have to get work cover and other insurances ?

We do use the business account for “personal” use, I was thinking that the “personal” use could be accounted for as wages?

sunnyfox
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Hi Russell,

You are in the right place for help! The community here is pretty good at helping out.

As for your wife’s employment problem, I am the least qualified to give you an answer, but maybe I can put something forward for discussion:

Is it possible to make Russell’s wife a partner? Again, there may be wonderfully simple reasons for not doing this, I’m not sure. But it would be away around the employment tax issues.

Or, could Russell just give himself a pay increase or bonus for the amount he would pay his wife for her work?

Hope someone else can take this up

Best,

Travis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.