Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi from small business newbie

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    marskros
    • Total posts: 17
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone
    First of all a big thank you to all the contributors on Flying Solo, I have spent a lot of time searching and reading all your advice on countless topics over the last few months!

I have spent a fair bit of time trying to get a small fashion accessories store on line.. and with no experience in small business, marketing, webdesign, graphic design, computer programming, SEO, photography etc I have learned a lot as I am trying to do it all myself! Still have a long way to go but I have something online now and would LOVE some feedback and suggestions! http://www.kickaccessories.com.au
    Getting customers to find the site is proving very challenging, and with trying to keep cost down I am keen to hear of no or low cost marketing ideas!

Look forward to hearing from those with more experience than me (haha, pretty much everyone!)

Thanks in advance for your comments and advice!

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi marskros,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and thanks for your kind feedback on the site – we’re thrilled we’ve been able to provide some answers for you during these early stages of your business.

Sorry that your initial post was held up in our moderation queue for a while there :(, but it is here now.

Thanks for introducing yourself :)
    Jayne

by the sea
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

Hi there, I too am new to advertising in Small Business, but totally different market (bookkeeper), there are lots of free business advertising websites that I have advertised on, I think the best ones for you would be Gumtree and share your website via Facebook or starting a Facebook page that people can like and share, like wildfire!! All the best, website looks great!

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

The site looks good so you’re off to a good start!

marskros, post: 162912 wrote:
    and with no experience in small business, marketing, webdesign, graphic design, computer programming, SEO, photography etc I have learned a lot as I am trying to do it all myself! Still have a long way to go but I have something online now and would LOVE some feedback and suggestions! http://www.kickaccessories.com.au
    Getting customers to find the site is proving very challenging, and with trying to keep cost down I am keen to hear of no or low cost marketing ideas!

Content, content, content! It’s hard to say without seeing the statistics for your specific site but I’d imagine you’re not getting much from Google.

You should use the Google keyword tool to research keywords that are worth chasing and then write content for each page that is both interesting/engaging to read, and contains the keywords you’ve decided on.

It’s far from easy or quick but it’s a good low-cost, long-term option.

marskros
    Up
    by the sea, post: 163119 wrote:
    Hi there, I too am new to advertising in Small Business, but totally different market (bookkeeper), there are lots of free business advertising websites that I have advertised on, I think the best ones for you would be Gumtree and share your website via Facebook or starting a Facebook page that people can like and share, like wildfire!! All the best, website looks great!

Hi By the sea, and thanks for your comments :)
    I have just spent a good part of today trying to make my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/KickAccessories not look so generic and boring!
    Again though… how do I get people to the facebook page if I can’t get them to find the website?
    I even added a promo tab with discount incentives … but how will people know I exist?
    I have not been very active in social media so I’m forcing myself to learn this stuff but find it very frustrating!
    I even opened a twitter account but I’m not sure I’m using correctly!
    The spreading like wildfire part is not quite happening…

With Gumtree – do you mean sell things on there or advertise the website some other way?
    I’ll have a look.
    I have listed a few items on ebay with sneaky links to the website but don’t find it makes much difference.
    Have also listed in some business directories..anything to try to climb the search engine rankings but I still don’t think I get a mention for several pages unless typing in direct URL.

Who would have thought it would be so difficult to get a website noticed?!

by the sea
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

If you felt like getting noticed another more in-your-face type way, what about the markets if you have plenty of stock??

marskros
    Up
    JoshG, post: 163127 wrote:
    The site looks good so you’re off to a good start!

Content, content, content! It’s hard to say without seeing the statistics for your specific site but I’d imagine you’re not getting much from Google.

You should use the Google keyword tool to research keywords that are worth chasing and then write content for each page that is both interesting/engaging to read, and contains the keywords you’ve decided on.

It’s far from easy or quick but it’s a good low-cost, long-term option.

Thanks for the feedback JoshG!

Yes..it seems to be the magical word – content!
    I will spend some more time on this.
    Being new to all this I am unsure of what gives best results – is it better to lace the product descriptions with keywords or the category description…or is it the meta keywords/ meta description that needs the engaging content?
    Guessing all of the above!

SheInspires
    • Total posts: 247
    Up

Welcome :)

I’m sure you’ll find this a great community – lots of like minded business owners.

It does take 6 – 12 months to organically grow traffic to your website and I can easily understand the frustration of wanting it be much faster.

While you can pay for Google advertising you’ll also benefit a lot from organic listing and higher page rankings and that’s where having good content with good keyword phases comes into play (but I think you’ve already working on that).

As I’m sure you’re finding out, when you’re doing so many roles and have so much on your plate it’s much easier to have systems and ways of doing things, so you might find this story on content and content calendars useful:

http://www.sheinspires.com.au/10-tips-for-creating-a-blog-content-calendar

It’s also important to get your content on other established and relevant websites and they’ll need original content (to look after their own page rankings). So be sure to include that in your plan to – the development of original promotional content that links back to your site.

Good luck and stick at it :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.