• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Tim B
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hello Small Business Forum.

My name is Tim Burrows. I live in Brisbane and have just started up in business for myself with a called Know 2 Go.

My Father was an accountant who didn’t much like accounting, so my parents started a commercial horticulture business when I was about eight. Much of my early years were spent as forced labour (that’s the way I remember it) working in the family business. I must have done a good job because the business became quite successful and my Father eventually passed it on to my brothers and me. I ran the business for a couple of years and complerted a successful sale process.

Commercial horticulture wasn’t much for me with a background in the business side of I.T. I’ve spent 15 or so years in analysis roles – looking at operations performance, systems design and accounting systems. The last few years have been with major corporates doing very large I.T. projects.

Some of the large corporate stuff was good but obviously not all, because a small group of us work chums struck out on our own last year. With our backgrounds in I.T. – the business side of I.T. and not the programming side, we saw an opportunity to help small business improve their accounting systems, and hopefully, the way they do business.

If people are just starting a business or they’ve been working from pen & paper, or they want to switch from an existing accounting package, we’ll manage the conversion from or to Xero, MYOB, Quickbooks, Reckon – whatever they would like. There’s a few businesses around doing similar things but they’re either offering a completely automated script to transfer data from one system to another, or bookkeeping with a bit of data conversion on the side. With our combination of I.T skills and business experience, we think we’ve got the right recipe to help other small businesses improve.

We’re getting our web site together at http://know2go.com.au and would love to hear from anyone in the forum if they have questions about accounting software. I’ve written a post in response to an article appearing in The Age a few days ago, where a small business owner has been taken for a ride by his accountant as he converted to Xero. Have a read here.

Itch
    • Total posts: 15
    Up

Hi Tim & Welcome to Flying Solo!

That’s a really good website you got going there, I like the simplicity and how it’s straight to the point. I hope it all goes well for you!

Tim B
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    Itch, post: 189167 wrote:
    Hi Tim & Welcome to Flying Solo!

That’s a really good website you got going there, I like the simplicity and how it’s straight to the point. I hope it all goes well for you!

Hi Trings.

Thanks for the welcome and feedback on the site. My brother’s web design company in Sydney has done it for us. It’s still in development and I’m glad to hear we’re on the right track.

Tim.

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Tim,

Thanks for joining us on the forums! Best of luck in your new (ad)venture. :)

Hope to see you around the place.

Dave
    P.S. Agreed, your site looks great.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi and welcome Tim

I think all those years of digging in dirt has shown you what you need to do to efficiently get people organised with their IT and software, to get their businesses blooming.

Enjoy Flying Solo it is a great place to be.

The Rogue Counsellor
    • Total posts: 68
    Up

Your site looks great Tim – crisp and clean and informative. Hopefully it will bring you lots of new clients.

Welcome to the FS community.

Lee
    The Rogue Counsellor

martin.firth
    • Total posts: 259
    Up

I agree that your site is pretty schmick. I can’t spot Google Analytic on there, which I’d recommend. Keep up the good work.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.