• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #982447
    ace
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi, Everyone!

    Honestly, I am a completely newbie to the business, I know nothing about doing the business. However, recently I am thinking about doing something that I never did before.

    The idea is buying some cheap clothing from China(Through my friend), and then my friend send the clothing to me.(Of course Australia), and I will sell in my house or maybe I will rent a place in the middle of shopping mall. Yes, that’s my idea.

    My question is: can this work? If it’s ok, what do I need to know before I start? what do I need to be aware of? Do I need a licence?(Import Licence, sole-trader), Do I need to register my own brand? Do I need to pay tax? what about the GST?

    Sorry, I have so many questions, but I just don’t know where to start and what to do. All I have got is the energy that come from “I want to do something different”.

    Anyone could give me some help and advice?

    Thank you so much!

    Kind regards,

    Ace

    #1136900
    Gizmo
    Member
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hello Ace,

    Welcome!

    I would start by visiting a good accountant.
    There are many here on the forums.

    #1136901
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Gizmo, post: 156042 wrote:
    Hello Ace,

    Welcome!

    I would start by visiting a good accountant.
    There are many here on the forums.

    Hi,thank you for advising, but sorry for asking, what the accountants can do for me?

    #1136902
    Gizmo
    Member
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    0
    ::
    ace, post: 156043 wrote:
    Hi,thank you for advising, but sorry for asking, what the accountants can do for me?

    They should be able to answer most of the questions you asked.

    #1136903
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::
    Gizmo, post: 156045 wrote:
    They should be able to answer most of the questions you asked.

    Oh,my….didn’t really think about that, thank you mate.

    one more question: could you name some of the accountant? I want to go and talk to them.

    Thanks, mate.

    #1136904
    Past-Member
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up
    0
    ::

    Ace – this website has so much information. I suggest you spend some time reading through similar threads. There are lots of threads in the ‘starting a new business’ section http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/

    Also, the short answer to your queries is:

    • Yes there are taxes
    • Yes you need to register and have an ABN (Australian Business Number)
    • Yes you need to do tax returns
    • Yes you will need permission for some types of businesses from home from local council depending on the use (check local council) (depends on whether customers come to your premises or not etc)
    • Yes you will need permission to operated from home if you are renting from your agent
    • Yes there will be fees for importing (Customs etc)
    • Yes you will need insurances including business insurance, public liability, and more. (Normal house insurance does not cover a business.)
    • Yes you need an accountant but you can get free advice for setting up business and govt requirements from your local tax office first http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/content/30006.htm&mnu=4085&mfp=001
      or look for Accountants here in the Flying Solo directory at http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/directory/Finance-Insurance/Accounting-bookkeeping

    There is a heap of information at the ATO
    Australian Tax Office, start here http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pathway.aspx?sid=42&pc=001/003/039&mfp=001/003&mnu=43567#001_003_039

    Customs http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5439.asp

    I am not an accountant – but you I definitely believe you should have a good one that you can talk to about these things and set up business correctly right from the start.

    And of course, I strongly advise purchasing and reading cover to cover the Flying Solo book here … http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book (and I have nothing to do with the book – it’s just that I recommend it to newbies)

    All the best. Happy researching.

    .

    #1136905
    Anonymous
    Guest
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    0
    ::

    Thank you for your advice, I definitely will go through the information that you provided for me.

    If I have any questions, hope you could help me again.

    Thank you!

    Kind regards,

    Ace

    KarenC, post: 156051 wrote:
    Ace – this website has so much information. I suggest you spend some time reading through similar threads. There are lots of threads in the ‘starting a new business’ section http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/

    Also, the short answer to your queries is:

    • Yes there are taxes
    • Yes you need to register and have an ABN (Australian Business Number)
    • Yes you need to do tax returns
    • Yes you will need permission for some types of businesses from home from local council depending on the use (check local council) (depends on whether customers come to your premises or not etc)
    • Yes you will need permission to operated from home if you are renting from your agent
    • Yes there will be fees for importing (Customs etc)
    • Yes you will need insurances including business insurance, public liability, and more. (Normal house insurance does not cover a business.)
    • Yes you need an accountant but you can get free advice for setting up business and govt requirements from your local tax office first http://www.ato.gov.au/corporate/content.aspx?doc=/content/30006.htm&mnu=4085&mfp=001
      or look for Accountants here in the Flying Solo directory at http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/directory/Finance-Insurance/Accounting-bookkeeping

    There is a heap of information at the ATO
    Australian Tax Office, start here http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/pathway.aspx?sid=42&pc=001/003/039&mfp=001/003&mnu=43567#001_003_039

    Customs http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5439.asp

    I am not an accountant – but you I definitely believe you should have a good one that you can talk to about these things and set up business correctly right from the start.

    And of course, I strongly advise purchasing and reading cover to cover the Flying Solo book here … http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book (and I have nothing to do with the book – it’s just that I recommend it to newbies)

    All the best. Happy researching.

    .

    #1136907
    Peter – FS Administrator
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,889
    Up
    0
    ::
    KarenC, post: 156051 wrote:
    And of course, I strongly advise purchasing and reading cover to cover the Flying Solo book here … http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/book (and I have nothing to do with the book – it’s just that I recommend it to newbies).

    Thanks Karen! 😮
    We second that recommendation (but we would wouldn’t we) :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.