Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi i’m Wendy co-founder of SavvySME (new social network for small businesses)

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #978343
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Everyone!

    My name is Wendy and I’m the co-founder of SavvySME which is a social platform aimed at combining the power of social media with the power of search to deliver a tailored solution for small businesses.

    To find out more about it please visit out website for our concept video, would love to get feedback on the idea:

    http://www.savvysme.com.au

    We’re a pretty critical stage at the moment where the feedback we get will determine the final product that we build – so the more feedback we get from the small business community the better. There is actually a short survey to fill out after you join (it will take less than 10 minutes to fill out).

    The platform we are building will be free to use so there is no risk on your end, since we believe in providing value first.

    I hope that I’m able to provide as much value as I can for you guys and share the knowledge I’ve built up through my experience with digital marketing, social media and outsourcing. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions – otherwise I’ll be sure to contribute as much as I can.

    Thanks for reading

    Wendy Huang

    #1106396
    MyGreatIdea
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up
    0
    ::

    The only issue I found was not being able to logout.

    Wendy :)

    #1106397
    BruceR
    Member
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    0
    ::
    SavvySME, post: 118099 wrote:
    Hi Everyone!

    My name is Wendy and I’m the co-founder of SavvySME which is a social platform aimed at combining the power of social media with the power of search to deliver a tailored solution for small businesses.

    Hi Wendy,

    I don’t want to sound overly critical but for me the first question is you are offering a “tailored solution” to what? There are numerous sites offering business advice to SME’s (like flyingsolo) and numerous social networks that can be used by small business and are more inclusive than you can ever hope to emulate (like Facebook and LinkedIn). In fact flyingsolo covers both the advice and social angles – with a track history and over 47,000 members.

    Perhaps you have more to offer but unless you spell that out why would people spend time trying to find out your USP?

    I know that might sound negative (and could probably also be said about my own business!) but I do mean it constructively….

    #1106398
    daydreamer
    Member
    • Total posts: 100
    Up
    0
    ::

    Have to agree you have some tough and smart competition in this area… like the guys who run Flying Solo!

    I do like the idea of having experts to answer SME owner questions. I assume you will have experts like Lawyers, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Tax people available to answer questions?

    If so, that would be useful for me… I don’t need these kind of people full time, but on an adhoc basis, to be able to ask questions and get correct answers would be very helpful.

    How will you monetise your site? Do you expect people to pay for a subscription?

    #1106399
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Wendy

    If I just stumbled onto your home page then my thoughts would be…

    What is this about?

    It’s dangerous to think that people will watch your video because it’s positioning is dominant.

    I agree with Numberz that you have to get your USP more clarified and dominant… and that will be the inducement to watch the video.

    I can see that you have invested good money in your video and it doesn’t need to be re-done… but I respectfully suggest that you go back to the drawing board for your home page

    I didn’t bother to look / click further on the site because if I had not been brought to the site by your request here then I would have formed an opinion based on your home page and left after I did or didn’t watch the video.

    If you are going to compete in this space (against the FS type sites) then you need an edge which is your point of difference.

    With most SMEs needing help that should be achievable for you with a strategy session :)

    PS. at least change the text on your video’s first frame

    #1106400
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::
    Couple It, post: 118107 wrote:
    The only issue I found was not being able to logout.

    Wendy :)

    Thanks for the feedback :)! We have had this mentioned to us a few times haha!

    #1106401
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi,

    Great points and it needs to be said, because it’s the hard truth about businesses :)! I think we have moved on a bit from where we were a few weeks ago which is progress on our part. What will differentiate us from the likes of FlyingSolo and other content sites is that we are a site thats focussed on bringing information and resources and community in a slightly different way. You can say we are like LinkedIn but only for small business. If you are on LinkedIn you would know there is a huge corporate focus. We will also be giving you a Q&A structure similar to what Quora provides as opposed to a forum such as Flying solo. This allows you to easily search your question and get it answered quickly through previous answers by experts, a video, a link or perhaps a discussion. For us the media type of the content isn’t important – only the solution provides and we will be delivering that in a easy to use manner.

    Our focus is on providing an intuitive platform as well. We have nutted out more aspects of our site and we have a screenshot demo as well. You can find all this here:

    http://www.savvysme.com.au/earlybird-invitation

    I hope that’s made it clearer, but we also have a long way to go. It’s great that you pointed this out as it’s one of the harder areas to get right as well :)

    Numberz, post: 118177 wrote:
    Hi Wendy,

    I don’t want to sound overly critical but for me the first question is you are offering a “tailored solution” to what? There are numerous sites offering business advice to SME’s (like flyingsolo) and numerous social networks that can be used by small business and are more inclusive than you can ever hope to emulate (like Facebook and LinkedIn). In fact flyingsolo covers both the advice and social angles – with a track history and over 47,000 members.

    Perhaps you have more to offer but unless you spell that out why would people spend time trying to find out your USP?

    I know that might sound negative (and could probably also be said about my own business!) but I do mean it constructively….

    #1106402
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::

    We do have plans to monetize it in the future through banner ads and such, but we want to focus on providing value for the community foremost. We believe money will come if we provide enough value.

    It’s good to hear that you will find it useful. Right now we are also looking for people that are interested in getting onto the platform before it’s offered to the general public – to test and help shape our product. If you are interested we encourage you to sign up through our website :)

    daydreamer, post: 118179 wrote:
    Have to agree you have some tough and smart competition in this area… like the guys who run Flying Solo!

    I do like the idea of having experts to answer SME owner questions. I assume you will have experts like Lawyers, Marketing, Sales, Finance, Tax people available to answer questions?

    If so, that would be useful for me… I don’t need these kind of people full time, but on an adhoc basis, to be able to ask questions and get correct answers would be very helpful.

    How will you monetise your site? Do you expect people to pay for a subscription?

    #1106403
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::

    I wish you spoke to us sooner because thats exactly what we found – not many people watched the video. The video thankfully only cost us $75 and I’ve written an e-book on how to do that to be released on our site later on. But sadly enough not many people clicked on it.

    Thanks for your feedback :) I’m so inspired to be with such a lovely bunch of people here on flying solo.

    Warren Cottis, post: 118218 wrote:
    Hi Wendy

    If I just stumbled onto your home page then my thoughts would be…

    What is this about?

    It’s dangerous to think that people will watch your video because it’s positioning is dominant.

    I agree with Numberz that you have to get your USP more clarified and dominant… and that will be the inducement to watch the video.

    I can see that you have invested good money in your video and it doesn’t need to be re-done… but I respectfully suggest that you go back to the drawing board for your home page

    I didn’t bother to look / click further on the site because if I had not been brought to the site by your request here then I would have formed an opinion based on your home page and left after I did or didn’t watch the video.

    If you are going to compete in this space (against the FS type sites) then you need an edge which is your point of difference.

    With most SMEs needing help that should be achievable for you with a strategy session :)

    PS. at least change the text on your video’s first frame

    #1106404
    Warren Cottis
    Participant
    • Total posts: 807
    Up
    0
    ::
    SavvySME, post: 119771 wrote:
    I wish you spoke to us sooner because thats exactly what we found – not many people watched the video.

    I am available for consultations :p

    #1106405
    Robert Gerrish
    Member
    • Total posts: 1,274
    Up
    0
    ::
    SavvySME, post: 119771 wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback :) I’m so inspired to be with such a lovely bunch of people here on flying solo.

    Great to see you generating such good responses here Wendy. Perhaps a little
    Created with the help of the Flying Solo community link in your footer is in order ;)

    Just kidding, best of luck with your new site it’s looking great.

    Robert and the FS Crew

    #1106406
    SavvySME
    Member
    • Total posts: 201
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hope my posts have been helping the community :) Have met some good people here so keep up what you’re doing it’s great :)!

    Thanks for popping by and saying hello!

    Robert Gerrish, post: 119922 wrote:
    Great to see you generating such good responses here Wendy. Perhaps a little
    Created with the help of the Flying Solo community link in your footer is in order ;)

    Just kidding, best of luck with your new site it’s looking great.

    Robert and the FS Crew

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.