Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi! New Cafe Adventure Begins

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Vicki-lee-90
    • Total posts: 11
    Up
    ::

Hi,

My name is Vicki-lee and like many people before me, I have decided to open up a cafe.

My partner has been at me to have a wander through Flying Solo forums as I will most likely find a lot of useful information which will help me in my initial set up of my cafe. As per usual, he was right and I have enjoyed reading plenty of posts about small business start up and now wish to add my own!

I have been working in hospitality for over 10 years now, having gained numerous skills which I believe will help in the customer relations and operation/functionality side of things. Late last year I felt it was time to work for myself and create a business to be proud of.

I want to be successful (who doesn’t?), so I knew I had to be smart about starting my business and get professionals on board. I have a business consultant who is helping me do my planning and budgeting whilst I do the bulk of the research.

I’ve never been very good at sitting on a computer all day researching, getting figures and working through excel sheets, etc. Sometimes, there are moments when I feel as if I’m running in circles. Slowly but surely I’m getting there, thanks to patience, a very supportive partner who happens to do online marketing and the realisation this isn’t just a dream anymore. All this planning will soon enough become a physical form that I have created.

I’m looking forward to learning off many like-minded people and am excited to share my experiences too.

Thanks for listening! :)

Vicki-lee

PineapplePear
    • Total posts: 83
    Up

Hi Vicki-lee

Welcome, and congrats on taking the leap! Have fun, exciting times!

Beany
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

I’ve always wondered what the experience of opening up a cafe might be like?

Good luck and keep us updated on how its going!

Vicki-lee-90
    Up
    PineapplePear, post: 184816 wrote:
    Hi Vicki-lee

Welcome, and congrats on taking the leap! Have fun, exciting times!

Thank you Suzi! I appreciate the support :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

What a great intro, Vicki-lee!

We meet lots of wannabe cafe owners here, and few of them have done their homework as thoroughly as you, so I reckon you’re off to a good start.

I hope it all goes brilliantly for you :)

Jayne

Vicki-lee-90
    Up
    Beany, post: 184823 wrote:
    I’ve always wondered what the experience of opening up a cafe might be like?

Good luck and keep us updated on how its going!

Will do! Thank you for the interest! :)

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Vicki, I want to congratulate you for making the important decision to take on a business consultant. I see a lot of businesses struggle and loose money because they are to proud to ask for help.

Your business consultant should be able to help you with your spread sheets, if not your accountant or bookkeeper can. I can tell you from experience, getting a good handle on this part of your business will be the difference between making it or breaking it. All your key success drivers and decisions are based on the numbers. But like anything garbage in, garbage out. Make sure you religiously keep and look at all your KPI’s.

Vicki-lee-90
    Up
    Tony Manto, post: 184853 wrote:
    Hi Vicki, I want to congratulate you for making the important decision to take on a business consultant. I see a lot of businesses struggle and loose money because they are to proud to ask for help.

Your business consultant should be able to help you with your spread sheets, if not your accountant or bookkeeper can. I can tell you from experience, getting a good handle on this part of your business will be the difference between making it or breaking it. All your key success drivers and decisions are based on the numbers. But like anything garbage in, garbage out. Make sure you religiously keep and look at all your KPI’s.

Hi Tony,

Thank you for the advice, it’s great to be recognised for making the right steps!

Regardless, there are ups and downs in building your own business, however I’m determined to make smart decisions in the beginning, as I’m setting this up for long term success, not “lets see how it goes” attitude. My consultant is my accountant as well, and he is doing the bulk of gathering the information I find into spreadsheets and formulas. Let’s just say I’m more of a physical worker than using a computer, so this is a big learning curve for me!

My boyfriend is in marketing, so I’m quite lucky to be getting free advice from him now and then. I think having a clear identity of what I want my cafe to be in the beginning and where I want to go is important. In the past I’ve learnt the importance of doing up a budget and discovering the feasibility of your product before launching.

Hope you have a wonderful week Tony! :)

LuchiaBloomfield
    • Total posts: 117
    Up

Good luck Vicki! As your boyfriend is in marketing, I’m sure he understands the importance of marketing and branding yourself properly. Stay in touch!

Spacelli
    • Total posts: 28
    Up
    Vicki-lee-90, post: 184807 wrote:
    Hi,

My name is Vicki-lee and like many people before me, I have decided to open up a cafe.

My partner has been at me to have a wander through Flying Solo forums as I will most likely find a lot of useful information which will help me in my initial set up of my cafe. As per usual, he was right and I have enjoyed reading plenty of posts about small business start up and now wish to add my own!

I have been working in hospitality for over 10 years now, having gained numerous skills which I believe will help in the customer relations and operation/functionality side of things. Late last year I felt it was time to work for myself and create a business to be proud of.

I want to be successful (who doesn’t?), so I knew I had to be smart about starting my business and get professionals on board. I have a business consultant who is helping me do my planning and budgeting whilst I do the bulk of the research.

I’ve never been very good at sitting on a computer all day researching, getting figures and working through excel sheets, etc. Sometimes, there are moments when I feel as if I’m running in circles. Slowly but surely I’m getting there, thanks to patience, a very supportive partner who happens to do online marketing and the realisation this isn’t just a dream anymore. All this planning will soon enough become a physical form that I have created.

I’m looking forward to learning off many like-minded people and am excited to share my experiences too.

Thanks for listening! :)

Vicki-lee

Good luck with the next business Adventure!

Bizbo
    • Total posts: 12
    Up

Hi Vicki-lee,

Congratulations on opening your new cafe.

Sounds like you’ve done your due diligence and wish you all the success!!

We’re heavily involved in the hospitality industry through our website and have noticed that those who, like with anything, act in a professional manner are always the cafes and restaurants that are successful. Its a great industry to be in. Check in on our blog for some great tips from guest writers in the industry about best small business practices.

Let us know how you’re getting on!!

Garth

Vicki-lee-90
    Up
    Bizbo, post: 185939 wrote:
    Hi Vicki-lee,

Congratulations on opening your new cafe.

Sounds like you’ve done your due diligence and wish you all the success!!

We’re heavily involved in the hospitality industry through our website and have noticed that those who, like with anything, act in a professional manner are always the cafes and restaurants that are successful. Its a great industry to be in. Check in on our blog for some great tips from guest writers in the industry about best small business practices.

Let us know how you’re getting on!!

Garth

Hi Garth,

Thank you for your interest and support.

I am still yet to open but am now just tying up loose ends with the start-up planning and budgeting. What a process it has been! A lot of people are a bit weird about giving me quotes and figures because I don’t have a premises yet which is totally confusing to me.

Nonetheless I have worked hard with my planning and know it will pay off in the long run.

I will be posting more threads when things start progressing :)

Vicki-lee

Orbit Sites
    • Total posts: 66
    Up

I found this guide on buying a cafe on Bizbo Australia https://www.bizbo.com.au/article/buying-a-cafe-heres-some-brilliant-industry-insight

You can also search for cafes for sale on their business for sale listings here: cafes for sale

pollypolkadot
    • Total posts: 55
    Up

Hi there =)

I recommend you check out http://www.profitablehospitality.com/ if you haven’t already- it is a pretty useful resource.

Polly

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.