• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eclr35
    • Total posts: 3
    Up
    ::

Stumbled on this site accidentally whilst searching for information on importing and realised the ton of valuable information available. I am sure I will be here behind the scenes over the next few weeks reading every single post.

A little about me:

I am currently employed in IT as a developer/project manager earning an above average income. I also have an on the side contracting gig where an previous employer subcontracts projects to me whenever they have capacity issues.

Lately, my wife and I been toying with the idea of starting an online business whilst maintaining our current jobs (not afraid of the work but want to leave our respective industries behind in the future). The idea is to import items homeware from a relative’s factory and sell them here locally initially online but with a view to expand to fairs and expos etc in the future.

We are currently finalising the product list and price sheet of the items we want to bring in and doing an assessment of the potential demand both here in Australia and internationally. We currently have a company and ABN setup from a little while back which we intend to use. Currently, the to-do list includes:

* Getting quotes on freight. I am investigating whether to order a bulk amount to Australia and then ship them from here as sales occur or have it delivered directly from the factory to the customer. As a startup, we aren’t talking about big numbers here so we won’t need a massive warehouse (maybe self storage solution?) but I don’t want to tie up too much capital to begin with either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

* Setup website. Intending to setup a shopify site due to the ease of having everything provided for a monthly fee. I am thinking of using Paypal as the payment ‘processor’ due to it’s simplicity, low volume of sales (initially) and the fact we are just starting up so low risk/costs associated. I am still reading on claims of paypal freezing accounts. I will also be setting up various online shopfronts such ebay, gumtree etc. Any advice from anyone who have ventured down this track would also be greatly appreciated.

* Talk with accountant. We want to do everything legal but want to have the best structure in place to save future headaches.

There is probably a million other things I’ve missed out but I am sure I will also have a million questions as we progress along.

Eric

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi there,

Welcome to Flying Solo! Exciting (and busy) times for you so best of luck, and we hope to see plenty more of you around the place. :)

Dave
    P.S. We find that using your name in posts tends to endear you to the forum community (= more advice and support), but that’s up to you.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

Hi there

Yes there is a lot to do when you are looking at setting up a business. You should also add in there some legal advice as you need to have a privacy policy, terms and conditions etc. available for your website.
    http://www.legalvision.com.au will allow you to download simple templates for a very low cost.

People will have various advice on freight but if you have it in your hands it is easier to control and manage without the risk of making a sale and then it not being available. I am not a fan of drop shipping.

Get your website going and think about how you are going to market it. You can have everything perfect but if you can’t sell anything then you are not a business just yet.

Happy to help

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.