Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hi there from Corinne

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Corinne
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

I have been wasting hours online now trying to locate secondhand or new fittings for a shop i want to open and chanced over your site. what a fabulous ideas! thanks for being here. I was starting to get a bit overwhelmed at the whole idea of starting a shop from scratch.

I am looking to setup an Organic/Wholefoods shop in Mandurah. There is already a fabulous shop selling fruit & veg and canned goods and even a bit of pick and mix stuff. They just opened this week. But we are trying to sell our house and I’m bored @#$*less waiting for it to sell. So in the mean time thought I’d start this up so we can move it to Tassie when we move there. We already have a shop front built into the ground floor of our house, so we both basically sit here all day and surf the net and play games so need something to do!

Anyway would love some contacts for food based retail shops; like the pick and mix type dispenser machines; organic wholesaler outlets around Australia etc. Anything of value would be appreciated.

Also not sure how elaborate a till/POS system I should get? have seen some that weight and print labels and also touch screen jobs. Not sure if anyone has any advice on those. Dont think i’ll ever be larger than a one person show; but never say never…

Look forward to participating in your forums! thanks again!

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Corinne,

Welcome to the forums!

One thing that seems a little out of kilter on reading your post is that you want to setup a shop in Mandurah (Qld if my memory serves me correctly), but you’re talking about moving to Tas… How long is the expected gap between those two things? I don’t think it’d be viable to take fittings from Qld to Tas, so is it worthwhile spending the time, effort and money on setting up a shop in Qld only to move to Tas – I’m not sure that you’ll take many existing customers with you over that distance…

Anyway, I’m hoping that I’ve just misunderstood – good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Kathy

Corinne
    Up

Hi Kathy!

thanks for your reply. We’re actually in Mandurah WA (not that it really matters for your point), but we already have half the furniture here, and just have to get a counter and we could just about start. We are trying to sell our house with everything in it, so the furniture may stay or come with us. We actually live in the house above the shop, so moving it isnt going to be a hassle. I guess it was also just a trial to see how we would go running a shop too; committment to hours etc. we didnt really expect any customers to follow, only for us to gain experience with wholesalers and the like. get some ideas on who to use, trade shows etc to go to…

but thanks for your concern. not really going to spend much money. just a POS system and we have most of the cabinets already here in the form of bookcases and storage shelves. it wasnt really going to be a high budget exercise…

if you have any suggestions for wholesalers or tradeshows etc i’d really appreciate that… oh and cheap credit card facilities.

PerfectNotes-Kathy
    • Total posts: 500
    Up

Hi Corinne,

Glad it’s not as confusing (or misguided) as it sounded! I didn’t really think that you were doing something silly, it just sounded odd (without the background).

Unfortunately I can’t help with the sorts of wholesalers/trade shows you need to know about, or cheap credit card facilities, but I’m sure there are others on the forum who will be able to help you out with that.

Good luck! Hope the business goes well and then the move goes smoothly.

Kathy

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Corrinne, welcome to FlyingSolo.

I second the sentiments of starting once you get to Tassie. But you could perhaps consider using an online alternative to give you the ‘supplier’ experience that you desire. You can also open up a few options for web based CC transaction/merchant accounts.

(That way you can also utilise your browsing the web time)

Corinne
    Up

Thanks Fiona and Kathy!

much appreciated… well it all hinges on the council anyway, so may end up being an internet based business…

thanks again!

Accounts Studio
    • Total posts: 516
    Up

Hi Corrine

I have an organic food client – drop me an email on [email protected] and I can give you a list of some wholefood suppliers you could contact.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.