Home – New Forums Tech talk Hilarious phone call…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    ::

I had a very entertaining phone call the other day from someone who setup a networking phone call with me, but then once on the call seemed intent just to make it known that they were super successful and didn’t need my company’s services. The funny thing was that they were the one who initiated contact with me so presumably they had fully knowledge of what services we offer (and what we don’t).

Anyway it was a pretty strange conversation for about 20 minutes in which they did most of the talking about how successful they were, and I did a lot of polite “oh ok that sounds really exciting” trying to figure out how I could get off the phone and stop wasting my time.

I didn’t even know what company they were calling from after all the boasting about how international they were and their massive growth and blah blah blahhhhh.
    Anyway I finally got the business name and wrote it down because now I was curious about what this business was and wanted to check it out…

Got off the phone (FINALLY), did a quick google search… Nothing.
    Did another google search for their specific brand name. Found a facebook page and nothing else. Huh?

Went to the facebook page and saw the name of the owner who was the person I spoke with on the phone, and then saw a link to the website! I clicked the link and what did I find?

A hideous looking WIX website which looked like it had been designed by a 10 year old. Stupidly overpriced packages and oh did I mention it was a free website from WIX?

I literally burst out laughing at my computer! Yes clearly you’re a major player in the social media marketing/seo scene with a WIX website which doesn’t even rank when you Google your own business name.

Just goes to show you never be intimidated by people who know nothing about. There might be a very good reason you know nothing about them ;)

Jason Ramage
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,168
    Up

Morning Stuart,

Needed that insight, today of all days a little chuckle went down well…. ;)

Its an interesting thought you provoke, that you never really know what what someone is really about.. Never judge a book by its cover i guess is a commonly thrown around term…

Personally, i love the way you stayed silent (although doesnt sound much like a possibility to do otherwise) as its always important to be perceived as listening acutely as you just never know what else they may be up to – albeit a very successful person like this may not need your services, they may also be willing to pay you some $$.. LOL

Anyway, i got sidetracked… Being an introvert by nature, i have learnt over time that if someone is hell bent on trying to impress you and talks more than they listen that there is a higher likelihood that most of it is ‘elaboration’ more so than fact.. And adding to this, if they are also hell bent in the same conversation to over explain and repeat explanations about positive situations/goals/achievements get ready to pack your bags and RUN! -or disconnect the phone and blame your VOIP service.. LOL

Thanks again, enjoyed the read!

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: hello@lucasarthur.net.au   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Great one, but you are obviously a lot more patient and tolerant than I am, I would have let them ramble for a couple of minutes, and than butted in and said its my turn to talk. And that talk would have led to the ending of the call very quickly.
    I know we all want $’s as Jason put it, but at the end of the day I just don’t have the time or energy to deal with people like that.

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

As a person with delusions of grandeur who hopes to be a writer I would have been listening with an ear to what I could use later on.

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

I was just curious to find out why she actually called me, and where the call would end up.

Gizmo
    • Total posts: 731
    Up

I hope everyone else she talked too was as astute as you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.