Home – New Forums Money matters Hiring Artists/ Freelancers Outside Of Aus?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
  • #991350
    • Total posts: 1

    Hey there. I have been wandering around F.S. for a while and I am happy to join.

    I run a small record label here in Sydney, I am about to work with an artist based in Italy and for the graphic design work on the project, a designer in the U.S seems to be the perfect fit for the job…

    Everything else is the same in terms of signing and licensing the work as it would be with a person in Australia.
    We normally pay royalties via Paypal or Check (Paypal is the easiest, fastest and offers the most support if an issue arises).
    But in terms of tax, I am not sure how to go about it. I treat it as free lance work with an ongoing payment for the work in terms of how we disperse the royalty payment, We receive an invoice with the ABN, disperse the royalty (No GST, Not earning over 75k). We both sign off.

    But with the overseas, Im not exactly sure how we would go about it, has anyone dealt with this before? Do we get them to Invoice us? But how do we declare that?

    I am just a little lost, If we had the time and money, I would speak to accountant/ lawyer.

    Thank you for your time.

    • Total posts: 11,464

    Hi there DannySweb, and welcome to the gang :)

    That’s an interesting question you’ve raised – I hope one of our tax experts can give you some advice.

    Hope the new project goes brilliantly for all concerned,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.