Home – New Forums Get productive Hiring staff or not

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Williamsheikspare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with a dilemma I’ve had for about 5 years now (I know!)

I own and run a holiday management business that has really taken off in the last 2 years. I’ve got great systems in place and work about 4 to 5hrs a day max. I can easily handle the work load myself however, I need to be available 24/7. This is not a problem until we go away on holidays. We used to go camping in remote areas but unfortunately I need to have phone reception at all times. We’ve done a few trips where I’ve had friends helping me out but this is not ideal and I stress that much about them making a mistake that I might as well stay home. My idea of owning a business is to be free to go where ever / whenever and this is not the case for me.

Now that I’m going to be a new mum in 6 months time, I need to come up with a plan.

If I was to hire someone, I can give that person about 20hrs per week as there are quite a few things he/she can do to help grow the business that I should do but don’t. I don’t think it’s fair to pay someone for 20hrs per week and then ask that person to be available 24/7

The only thing I can think of is getting someone to buy into the business and share the responsibilities but since I’m a bit of a control freak, I’m wondering if this will work.

Would love to hear from you guys!

Hi all,

Hoping you can help me with a dilemma I’ve had for about 5 years now (I know!)

I own and run a holiday management business that has really taken off in the last 2 years. I’ve got great systems in place and work about 4 to 5hrs a day max. I can easily handle the work load myself however, I need to be available 24/7. This is not a problem until we go away on holidays. We used to go camping in remote areas but unfortunately I need to have phone reception at all times. We’ve done a few trips where I’ve had friends helping me out but this is not ideal and I stress that much about them making a mistake that I might as well stay home. My idea of owning a business is to be free to go where ever / whenever and this is not the case for me.

Now that I’m going to be a new mum in 6 months time, I need to come up with a plan.

If I was to hire someone, I can give that person about 20hrs per week as there are quite a few things he/she can do to help grow the business that I should do but don’t. I don’t think it’s fair to pay someone for 20hrs per week and then ask that person to be available 24/7

The only thing I can think of is getting someone to buy into the business and share the responsibilities but since I’m a bit of a control freak, I’m wondering if this will work.

Would love to hear from you guys!

Ok if you think there’s a need to hire staff you can.

Sean
    Participant
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

If you just need to hire one person, I’d highly recommend hiring them as a contractor, not an employee. Depending on what state you operate in there can be some crazy employment laws you have to watch out for once you start hiring employees.
    Here is one simple solution you could employ, but of course exactly how you structure it depends on the business itself.
    You pay them a base salary for working 20 hours per week and being on call. If you want them to do things to help you grow the business then you have to incentive them with a “bonus” portion that grows as the business grows. What that metric is you use to indicate growth will depend on your business. If you have more details I can certainly help you develop a viable incentive plan for the RIGHT person. And I do stress, the RIGHT person. You need to choose someone for personality, not skills. You can teach skills to someone who is teachable, but you can’t teach personality to someone who doesn’t have the right one for your business.

Unique Business Consultant
Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.