Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Home based business name

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    KylieK
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi, I have just signed up. I am in the middle of starting up a home based sewing and embroidery business, but have come to a halt. I am stuck for a name, which is why I would like your help to choose. My husband likes “Kylie’s Kraft and Embroidery”, which I don’t mind. I have also come up with “Graphic Embroidery and Sewing”. Now I can’t choose, which I now need to do, to continue setting up and then I can start, which I can’t wait for. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Lucinda Lions
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

Hi Kylie

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new sewing/embroidery business!

Choosing a business name can be one of the hardest things you have to do! I’ve included some links to articles that will hopefully make the decision a little bit easier for you.

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-branding/choosing-a-business-name-and-image

There are also many useful branding articles in this section of our website: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/marketing/business-branding

There’s also some really interesting videos on the topic: Start up success for the solopreneur and Marketing strategies for digital start ups. You can find them here: http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/video

My own tip. Just be wary of listing your services in your business name. At the moment you may only see yourself doing embroidery and sewing, but down the track you may introduce a new service, in which case you’ve grown out of your business name. It’s not the end of the world if that happens, but it’s not ideal. Anyway, just something to keep in mind. :)

Wishing you the best of luck, Kylie!
    Lucinda :)

Tony Manto
    Participant
    • Total posts: 581
    Up

Hi Kylie, the answer to your question lies in how you intend to market your business and get customers. If you are going to do most of your marketing on line (like most of us) you need to think of a name that is searched for. Something simple that people will type into google to find your products or services. I also agree you should also think of the future and what products or service you might be selling. Seven Covey in seven habits of highly effective people stated that you should start with the end in mind.

Where do you want your business to go, what is your vision? Perhaps you should write a business plan and see where this takes you. By writing a business plan it helps you to think off every element of your business which in turn might help you decide on the best business name.

The Hobbit
    Participant
    • Total posts: 309
    Up

KISS
    The old saying is: Keep it Simple Stupid
    Short easy to say names work best.
    But the name is not critical; it’s more important to plan your business properly. Research the market and do a feasibility study.
    Look at everything from your customers’ point of view

Bec CB
    • Total posts: 70
    Up
    Tony Manto, post: 181777 wrote:
    Hi Kylie, the answer to your question lies in how you intend to market your business and get customers. If you are going to do most of your marketing on line (like most of us) you need to think of a name that is searched for. Something simple that people will type into google to find your products or services.

How did I not think about this earlier! So simple, so obvious, so missing from my website!

Thanks!

Bec

koaladigitising
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    KylieK, post: 181712 wrote:
    Hi, I have just signed up. I am in the middle of starting up a home based sewing and embroidery business, but have come to a halt. I am stuck for a name, which is why I would like your help to choose. My husband likes “Kylie’s Kraft and Embroidery”, which I don’t mind. I have also come up with “Graphic Embroidery and Sewing”. Now I can’t choose, which I now need to do, to continue setting up and then I can start, which I can’t wait for. Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kylie,
    I like the name “Kylie’s Kraft and Embroidery”, it conveys a more personal feel. I wish you all success in your venture. By the way i am a sydney based embroidery digitiser. In case you need your logo digitise please consider me.

Regards
    Vish

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Hi Vish,

Welcome to the forums! Feel free to pop into the “Introduce Yourself” section to say hi. :)

Dave

KristenTofU
    • Total posts: 9
    Up
    KylieK, post: 181712 wrote:

Hi Kylie,
    Have you come up with a name? What about “Kylie’s Creations”? It would cover any future products you incorporate into your business, as Tony suggested. I thought about suggesting “Kylie’s Kreations” but then decided against it also because of Tony’s suggestion because no one would ever search for creations with a “k”. Also on second thought it looked kind of juvenile! :-)
    Good luck!
    Kristen

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.