Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Home-based Food/Snack preparation – Brisbane

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Matt_and_Alana
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi

My wife and I were thinking of starting up a small home-based snack preparation business. All the snacks could be prepared without any cooking or baking, and we have a spare fridge that we could use to store them. The idea is that we would sell these snacks to a small number of cafes and businesses that we frequent, that do not currently stock this particular snack item on their menus. We don’t envisage it as a big money-spinner but more as a hobby to earn us a bit of ‘pocket money’.

We aren’t too sure where to start, so if anyone in the Flying Solo community would like to give us a gentle nudge in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    M & A

MyGreatIdea
    • Total posts: 2,278
    Up

Your first step should be market research. Go and talk with these cafe owners and gauge their interest. Then delve deeper – how many would they order per week, what would they expect to pay etc etc – until you have a clear indication whether or not the idea is feasible.

Wendy :)

WhatsThePlanDan
    Participant
    • Total posts: 297
    Up

Make sure you check with your local council to see if you need to comply with kitchen standards and if so what changes you would need to make, etc…

I can also highly recommend you speak to Jane from My Other Kitchen – she is a member on here. She is Melbourne based but may have some contacts in Brisbane she can refer you to. Jane helps people with ideas like yours to get up and running.

Good luck with it – we looked at doing something similar but in the end decided all the rules that go around just meant it wasn’t worth the hassle (for us – everyone’s situation is different).

mken1971
    Up

Hi Wendy

I am delighted to hear about M & A’s self-business opportunity which was posted more than a month ago. I would like to start business at sunday market and so far having a stumbling block due to limited knowledge of how to start one when all my life i’ve been employed. I like to bake and sell onsite. The market manager couldnt provide the power necessary for my cooking equipments which now i have to invest more with gas equipments. I know the market will be fine so long I long to cater for local populations. However, I am a bit wary about it as well which i feel it’s healthy to feel so. It’s about whether I should go ahead if one day i overblow my capital.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi there mken,

Welcome to Flying Solo, and congratulations on identifying an opportunity and running with it.

Just be aware that you may need to get some permits and insurances sorted out before you kick off. If you need any advice on those, I recommend starting a new thread in the Starting a business section. There will be quite a few people around here who’ve been through it before you.

All the best,
    Jayne

Jia
    Up
    Matt_and_Alana, post: 151483 wrote:
    Hi

My wife and I were thinking of starting up a small home-based snack preparation business. All the snacks could be prepared without any cooking or baking, and we have a spare fridge that we could use to store them. The idea is that we would sell these snacks to a small number of cafes and businesses that we frequent, that do not currently stock this particular snack item on their menus. We don’t envisage it as a big money-spinner but more as a hobby to earn us a bit of ‘pocket money’.

We aren’t too sure where to start, so if anyone in the Flying Solo community would like to give us a gentle nudge in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
    M & A

Hi there,

I am also on the same track as you are, but haven’t got an idea as to where to start from. Did you approach your local cafés ? Please let me know how you went about it?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.