Home – New Forums Other discussions Home or rented office?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Premier Audio Visual
    • Total posts: 14
    Up
    ::

So I sell and install professional audio visual equipment. Does it look really unprofessional to be working from home? Would it be worth the expense to invest in office space, or do I go for a virtual office?

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up
    Premier Audio Visual, post: 330 wrote:
    So I sell and install professional audio visual equipment. Does it look really unprofessional to be working from home? Would it be worth the expense to invest in office space, or do I go for a virtual office?

That depends. Will clients ever be coming to see you? If not, then no, it doesn’t matter. I’ve been working from home for almost 15 years. Most people don’t even realise that. Some get a surprise when they find out.

Premier Audio Visual
    Up

I usually meet with clients on the site that they want the equipment to be installed, so I guess that means that I should continue working from home. I am part of a business growth program, and they offer a boardroom hire at $15 per hour, so I could make use of that on other occasions.
    I just think that, particularly with online advertising, for example google maps, it looks more professional to not have a residential address.
    Anyway, I will ponder on that one for a while!
    Ta.

kathiemt
    • Total posts: 1,167
    Up

I don’t give my address out Daniel in any of my materials or advertising. I use a PO Box and have in all the years I’ve been in business. No-one has ever questioned that. I don’t like advertising I have a lot of computer equipment in my home.

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

I’m the same as Kathie – I work from home & have a PO Box. I don’t have my home address on any of my marketing materials or my site. :)

My parents recently moved out of home & in to an office (hang on, that was about 2 years ago now!) – the main reason for them was they had staff & home was getting way too crowded.

Melissa

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I think having both a postal address and delivery address is good.
    You could have the post office address listed on the web as well – and provide the delivery only to people who require it.
    I have done this successfully for over 20 years.

I know of one person who also adds “Suite1” to their home address (it’s a single home) in order to look like a business delivery address.

My couriers find it easy to park in our street for deliveries and pickups which works well for us.

And good security / alarm would be essential – especially as you would have more equipment than most going through your home delivery and insurance would require it.

Premier Audio Visual
    Up

Thanks for all of the feedback! Getting a po box is a great idea, and I am now removing my address from any advertisements.
    I will stick to working from home and save some valuable dollars for now.
    Cheers.

designmill
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Hi Daniel,

I’m at the same stage in business start-up as you it seems, and have been pondering that problem also.

I think yes, it can look unprofessional, as well as unsafe to have your residential address listed.

My take is, don’t get office space you don’t need. Imagine that money you could be directing into marketing or training if you work out of home. (If you have the space at home that is.)

I am yet to get organised and take a trip to the local Post Office. Tip on that, you don’t need to spend extra to get a larger box, any over-sized parcels they’re going to keep behind the counter for you anyway.

Now I feel lazy that I haven’t sorted mine out. I pinkie swear it will happen this week. :)

Laura Patmore
    Graphic Designer

Design Mill
    w. http://www.designmill.com.au
    e. [email protected]

Nick Harriss icommo
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    Premier Audio Visual, post: 330 wrote:

We are a unified messaging services provider and we definitely recommend to soloists that they avoid pouring their dollars into rented office space. We think money is better invested in marketing and building a professional presence: secure a PO Box, create a good website and consider purchasing a phone number which can receive phone and fax messages and deliver them to your email. It is possible to create a professional presence without setting up in an office.

Nick Harriss

Julie MT
    • Total posts: 19
    Up

Hi Nick,

I wonder if you could elaborate on the fax/phone call re-direction to email service?

Sounds interesting.

Thanks so much.

anzestry
    • Total posts: 3
    Up

For me part of the fun of running my own business is the fact that I can do it from home. If I had to go out to work at an office everyday, it would be just like…..going to work.

Jexley
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

I’ve been out of the home for about 2 years now and couldn’t be happier with the setup. Clients know that our meetings our going to be at their offices or somewhere in-between, like a coffee shop of some such.

I actually landed a fairly big client who admitted to me that he chose me over others because he’d “be paying for my actual services, not my rent in the CBD.” That says a lot to me.

tildavirtual
    • Total posts: 53
    Up

I’ve done both. Last year I hired an employee to compliment my team of Virtual Assistants and I was having difficulty with the whole home/work balance thing.

My employee quit out of the blue in October so I decided that I would move my business back home. Although there were some great aspects to working in a separate office, I prefer being at home, especially when my eldest said to me “I’m so glad you’re back at home mum”.

Angela communic8 design
    • Total posts: 18
    Up

Having done both, home based, office and home based again I’m convinced it doesn’t matter a jot. In fact, many of my clients are just plain envious of my home based business.

What I’ve done differently this time was dedicate more of our home to the business as I have a team of 3 + me in-house. Fortunately the house is big enough to accommodate this.

That said, it’s school holidays for my rotters at the moment, don’t you just love private schools, pay more so they go less!? And the house is looking as though a tornado has been through.

Have a look at using technology efficiently, Skype, email and a good website, and maybe look into rent-as-needed meeting space before you commit to the added expense of an office.

For me, having an office made me feel like an employee again, ugh! I felt like I had to be there from 9 – 5 because it was a ‘proper’ office, so I’d better keep ‘proper’ office hours.

ActiveCounselling
    • Total posts: 38
    Up

Going back a few years I ran an IT Consultancy from home. Most of the work was done on the customers site and I never had the need to have people come to the house. We put our money in a larger shed and built a really good office in it.

The seperate shed/office kept the home and work life seperate which is highly recommended if you can do it. Nothing better than walking 10 meters to get home for lunch!

You need to think really hard if you do rent/lease something because you are committing to a fixed overhead which exists regardless of how well you are performing.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.