Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Home Page Auto Play Video Intros

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    MsLilyPonds
    • Total posts: 264
    Up
    ::

Are annoying.

That is all.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

+1

:)

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up

depends on the site

Jenish Pandya
    • Total posts: 104
    Up

they are crap, sometimes i wanna buy but then it interrupts and i just close the whole thing

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up
    The Infotainer, post: 89884 wrote:
    depends on the site

I have to agree that all auto play videos are a bad idea on websites. I’m yet to see any examples to make me think differently.

@The Infotainer Have you got an example that could make use change out minds?

I think the only exception would be youtube, but I don’t think that really counts in this discussion.

I recently went to a site that had one of those autoplay “hi, i’m john from such and such business” introductory type videos. It’s fine to sit through it once, but every time you navigate back to the home page it plays again? It is immediately irritating.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

Interesting perspectives. i guess one has to test to find out if autoplay affect lead generation and conversion.

maybe do autoplay for a month and then remove it to test the results.

I know of some real world internet marketing gurus swear by autoplay. it may be annoying to some but it comes down to overall results.

GailH
    • Total posts: 217
    Up

Auto play is particularly annoying when you work in an open plan office, and you have no warning before you start sharing the message with your office mates!

I usually close the page quickly and never go back again.

If I get the option to click a button before the video starts, and I’m interested in the site I’m visiting, you’ve got a much better chance of me sticking around and seeing what you’re all about.

The Infotainer
    • Total posts: 612
    Up
    LemonChip, post: 90055 wrote:
    I have to agree that all auto play videos are a bad idea on websites. I’m yet to see any examples to make me think differently.

@The Infotainer Have you got an example that could make use change out minds?

I am sending you a PM with an example- why a PM

cos it’s a competitor that’s why and I don’t want an open link to his site
    plus he is one of the biggest false advertisers in Australia

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

To me autoplay is never justified – it should be optional….and NOT downloading in the background!!

If it autoplays I will either block it or leave an never come back.

Same with any background music or other sound.

It would be like a TV coming on when you walk into a room. It does not, you turn it on if you want to.

DavidM
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

So true. I even ranted about why Autoplay Youtube Videos suck.

Puzzles me why people insist on using them.

Stuart B
    Up

I mentioned this in my private reply to @TheInfotainer, but thought it might be a good point to share with everyone else…

You also have to consider what happens if you’re at work, say in an office somewhere and you need to look something up on the internet. Suddenly the site starts playing some background music, or playing a video that you didn’t ask for. It might be the best video in the world, but it’s basically just alerted everyone to the fact that you’re not doing work!

You can easily see that the website is quickly going to destroy its potential to receive any visitors during business hours, and if it irritates people enough, they might not bother coming back after business hours either.

Patto
    • Total posts: 50
    Up
    hymstrategies, post: 90106 wrote:
    Interesting perspectives. i guess one has to test to find out if autoplay affect lead generation and conversion.

maybe do autoplay for a month and then remove it to test the results.

I know of some real world internet marketing gurus swear by autoplay. it may be annoying to some but it comes down to overall results.

Some have gone as far as removing the controller also, and they argue their conversions have improved. I think there’s is room for Autoplay, as long as the visitor is being sent to a page expecting a video.

But not having a controller really frustrates me!

Stuart B
    Up
    patto, post: 90426 wrote:
    I think there’s is room for Autoplay, as long as the visitor is being sent to a page expecting a video.

That’s obviously the thought process of youtube too, which I think is fine in that instance.

zukweb
    • Total posts: 13
    Up

Have to agree with most in this thread.

Most people land on your home page first, it’s not a good look to have Auto Play video intros there. Fair enough if they seek further info and click deeper into your site, but the first thing you see is video and loud noise/music, not so much.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.