• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mobile hair design
    • Total posts: 8
    Up
    ::

Hi does anyone know legal requirements of running a hair salon at home? and would it be possible to run this type of business from a residential rental propery?

Im pretty sure its not do-able but someone out there may know more than me.

Cheers

Chris – Marketing
    • Total posts: 162
    Up

Hi Each council / shire have their rules and criteria. All this info should be on their website or u can phone their customer service number and ask to speak to the right person. Councils try to encourage small businesses but don’t want a unstructured businesses which create noise and increase traffic in quiet residential area.
    Also as a Landlord I would allow this provided clauses were written into the lease making you accountable for any business Public liability. Office hours operating within reasonable times. You would be accountable for any damage caused by increase traffic by your customers. Also once your lease was up u would have to return the premises to the way it was. Just a few conditions off the top of my head but these and more would be on the table.
    So check with council and negotiate with your landlord

Chris Poulios
    http://www.satisfaction-marketing.com.au
    http://www.webthreads.com.au

tmerrill
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Do you already have customers? If not, you may want to see if you can attract customers before going through the hassle of talking to your local government and landlord.

marnieb
    • Total posts: 159
    Up

I believe it is possible, but you do have to get approval and make sure things are setup correctly. Your local council is the best place to start.

You should also be aware that you’ll need to get the appropriate type of insurance, etc. because you’ll have people coming to the property.

I’d also check your lease agreement and speak to your property manager. It’d be terrible to get setup only to be in violation of your lease agreement.

mobile hair design, post: 126063 wrote:
    Hi does anyone know legal requirements of running a hair salon at home? and would it be possible to run this type of business from a residential rental propery?

Im pretty sure its not do-able but someone out there may know more than me.

Cheers

Simplicity Chris
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

If you go Mobile you shouldn’t have to worry about Council Approval, My first business was in catering (completely mobile) and I didn’t have to worry about the council (there are other laws and regulations in food to follow – another topic). As for hairdressing it’s pretty straight forward.

As far as setting it up goes, the only people who are going to tell you what you need (certification wise) is the Insurance company. They will likely request you to be certified to a decent level. Trades person level I would assume.

Setting up everything from home will likely be a different story. A little more complicated – depends on your council.

alliedib
    • Total posts: 453
    Up

Hi MHD,

From my experience with Home Based businesses, you need to look at the following:

– Council Regulations: Even though your business is considered mobile, your council may have regulations regarding operating businesses from home (most councils do). The best thing to do is visit their website for more information and, if you can’t find any information, give them a call or head in and speak to someone. This exercise may prevent any undue stress in the future (especially if they receive a complaint about your business – ignorance is unfortunately not an excuse when Councils are involved)…

– Landlord: Even though you will be mobile, I have seen a number of hairdressers that decide to convert one of their house rooms into a salon setup (especially when clients want treatments etc). As you are renting, you will need to check your lease to see what (if any) restrictions there are regarding this. Alternatively, contact the Property Manager and talk to them about it. They can confirm that the lease will allow it and then they can advise the landlord accordingly. The Landlord will need to ensure their Building Insurance policy covers a home based business operating from the premises – this is not to cover your Liability, but to cover theirs ie if someone trips on the step then they may be brought into any claim for damages.

– Insurance: Make sure that you specifically advise your Liability insurer what you will be doing (100% mobile / 50% mobile 50% home based etc) and the exact treatments you will offer (so they can place you in the right classification – also beware that some treatments are excluded by some insurance policies so make sure that you read the cover carefully). As for the qualifications mentioned earlier, insurers will not ask ‘do you have Cert x’, they simply ask you to confirm (as part of your Duty of Disclosure) that you have the relevant qualifications for the work you are perfoming – if you don’t then they may have grounds to refuse to pay a claim.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Regards,

Mark

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Mark,

Just a heads up that this old thread was reopened by a spammer, and the OP is probably sorted by now.

Cheers, and sorry for the inconvenience,
    Jayne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.