Home – New Forums Get productive Home work space, Designated area?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bernardlau
    • Total posts: 33
    Up
    ::

Like most flying soloists, our home is also our office.
    How do you manage your workspace?
    Atm, my work space is practically right next to the couch.
    Main reason for this is that I don’t have a TV, so when I “relax” I would lay on the couch and watch movies, shows etc on the computer.

I’m starting to feel this is very bad as I lose motivation to work to my intended schedule. I don’t have an extra room to turn into an office, so I’m thinking of rearranging the living room so that I have an area designated just for work, either facing a wall or out a window so I’m not distracted by the comfyness of home.

How do other soloists setup their work area? Pictures would be great!

AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

Definitely do what you can to create a seperate space. You could even buy some partitions, so you have a proper ‘area’.

TehCamel
    • Total posts: 873
    Up

i’m lucky enough to have a separate bedroom for now.
    I’ve got a desk, a pinboard on the wall, a whiteboard down the side wall, plus the other elements like a printer cupboard etc, and a server sitting on the floor.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    bernardlau, post: 115147 wrote:
    Like most flying soloists, our home is also our office.
    How do you manage your workspace?
    Atm, my work space is practically right next to the couch.
    Main reason for this is that I don’t have a TV, so when I “relax” I would lay on the couch and watch movies, shows etc on the computer.

I’m starting to feel this is very bad as I lose motivation to work to my intended schedule. I don’t have an extra room to turn into an office, so I’m thinking of rearranging the living room so that I have an area designated just for work, either facing a wall or out a window so I’m not distracted by the comfyness of home.

How do other soloists setup their work area? Pictures would be great!

Hmmm….I’m beginning to think I’m quite lucky. We moved house a couple of years ago and moved to the burbs to ensure that we got enough space for us and an office. I have my own office in the far corner of the house, well away from everyone else.

Just as well really, I have a drum kit as well.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Converted bedroom here too. One big desk, small whiteboard, lots of storage.

No drum kit but I do have a Ukulele to bash when I need a break.

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

hehe… my first home office was a small bedroom with my desk, my wife’s desk and 2 drumkits.

Now I have an office outside of home with far more space then I need.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Separate room/studio in the home. Roland Piano near the entrance. :)

If you can’t manage a separate room, then try one of those all enclosed office cupboards. Then it becomes separate and is a designated area.

Do a search in Google on office in a cupboard
    Then click on the IMAGES results. You will be amazed at the ideas people have used to create an office in a cupboard. Some use doors, others use curtains to hide it. Very creative.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    bluepenguin, post: 115291 wrote:
    hehe… my first home office was a small bedroom with my desk, my wife’s desk and 2 drumkits.

Now I have an office outside of home with far more space then I need.

I actually have a second electronic kit in the spare room as well. I have a very tolerant wife

EmbalmSkincare
    Participant
    • Total posts: 459
    Up

I don’t have an office. I use my laptop on the couch, next to my husband when he’s playing Xbox.

I could put a desk in the spare bedroom but I’m more productive – believe it or not – when I have noise around me. I can’t have it quiet, I get more distracted when it’s quiet.

Regards,
    Mel

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 115280 wrote:
    I have my own office in the far corner of the house, well away from everyone else.

Just as well really, I have a drum kit as well.

JohnTranter, post: 115286 wrote:
    No drum kit but I do have a Ukulele to bash when I need a break.

bluepenguin, post: 115291 wrote:

KarenC, post: 115292 wrote:
    Separate room/studio in the home. Roland Piano near the entrance. :)

OMG, who knew that the reason so many soloists work from home is so they can indulge their musical passions? I’m starting to think we’ll have to set up a band! :) :) :)

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up

I’ve been using part of a rumpus room for the last several years, which works well in that while the kids are at school, I use my corner, and when they’re home, it encourages me to stop working. School holidays are the only awkward time, so we negotiate peace and quite times.

I’m in the final stages of building a dedicated office over the garage. I’m certainly looking forward to having my work out of the house; out of sight, out of mind. And just to keep with the musical theme, other than my office, it will also double as the music room, with my electric, my wife’s base, and daughters drum kit, and other daughters keyboard.

Uncomplicating
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 115311 wrote:
    OMG, who knew that the reason so many soloists work from home is so they can indulge their musical passions? I’m starting to think we’ll have to set up a band! :) :) :)

I’m up for that if we can agree to play seventies middle of the road rock, soul, disco and funk.

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

I did have an office in a separate building, but then the relationship was the separate thing, so now I have the spare bedroom in my new flat. I have a spare bed in my office, but I use the double for my daytime power nap.
    The kitchen, sadly is also a tempting drawcard

I have a window (well three actually) which is a good thing (something cupboard office sadly lack) but the really good thing is in the afternoon the sun shines in behind the screen, making it impossible to work (even with curtains and blinds). Thus a break is forced upon me…which is good.

Geronimo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 237
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 115318 wrote:
    … soul, disco and funk. and so it was with these words, that the Flying solo band came to a screeching halt. ;)
    Uncomplicating
    Up
    Elsee, post: 115397 wrote:
    and so it was with these words, that the Flying solo band came to a screeching halt. ;)

I know. I’m so middle aged.

Doobie Brothers anyone?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.