Home – New Forums Starting your journey Homemade Food Delivery Service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DanielP289
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Happy new year everyone!

I am Daniel residing in Melbourne, originally from Turkey where one of my friends has this online food delivery service of locally homemade meals. Recently, he has offered me to establish his service here in Melbourne considering a lot of expats in this beautiful country looking for homemade food.

The business idea looked good to me as I don’t have to put much efforts except order management. The idea is to deliver locally sourced homemade meals to customers who would order via online/mobile app.

He has asked me to find such families who can prepare and pack meals as per confirmed orders. I’d be managing deliveries via contracting with drivers or can do myself even.

Before putting my feet into this business, I am confused as to how should I go for it and what legal requirements should I be looking for.

I’d love to see your input to this.

Thanks anyways
    D

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    • Total posts: 712
    Up

There are a lot of regulations involving food businesses in Australia, and you can get into a lot of trouble with big fines if you don’t follow them. It is not that hard to manage though as long as your kitchen is clean, you have the correct benchtops and extractor fan, and no animals are allowed in food prep areas.
    Anyone making food to sell has to have a registered kitchen with their local council. They will come and inspect it to make sure it is clean and up to standard. Your local council will be able to give you some advice there on the cost and what you have to do.

Anyone making food to sell has to have their food handling certificates – you can do the courses online.
    All food has to conform to certain regulations, including labeling laws.

There are a quite a few websites that give more info, including government ones. Look up food business regulations.

It is a lot to set up but it is not too hard or expensive.

DanielP289
    Up

Thank you Rowan for input. :)

I believe food regulations applies to food providers who make and pack it. We’d offer this online platform where customers order, food providers make and pack it at home, we pick up orders and deliver to customer.

So pretty much I’d be working as sole trader to conduct deliveries and handling payments. So I shouldn’t be worried about food regulation or should I?

Besides what else should I be looking for?

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    DanielP289, post: 263527, member: 113298 wrote:
    So pretty much I’d be working as sole trader to conduct deliveries and handling payments. So I shouldn’t be worried about food regulation or should I?

I’m not sure your assumption is correct here, it’s your platform they are ordering through, wouldn’t you want to ensure the food is safe.

The big supermarkets basically do exactly as you have described, but they still bear some responsibility in the food safety chain.

The other thing I would be looking at is insurance, and I would be getting the best insurance possible if you don’t believe that you need to worry about food safety.

DanielP289
    Up
    bb1, post: 263529, member: 53375 wrote:
    I’m not sure your assumption is correct here, it’s your platform they are ordering through, wouldn’t you want to ensure the food is safe.

Thanks Bert for your input.

Definitely I’d try to ensure food safety by putting terms and conditions with food providers should they accept it. However, I won’t have any control over food preparation and/or its packaging and/or storage for extended times like supermarkets do.

Therefore, I don’t think those regulations apply to this business except if anything happens to food during delivery which is our responsibility. But who’d be blamed in such case and how to prove it?

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up

If your business relies on home cooked meals that you don’t know are made according to regulations, or in fact you suspect they aren’t, you are taking a huge risk because you will also be in the firing line if someone gets sick from food you provided.

DanielP289
    Up
    Rowan @ GardenLarder, post: 263535, member: 28171 wrote:
    If your business relies on home cooked meals that you don’t know are made according to regulations, or in fact you suspect they aren’t, you are taking a huge risk because you will also be in the firing line if someone gets sick from food you provided.

Certainly you’re right, Rowan.

Before partnering with food providers we’d definitely confirm all aspects and ask them to agree our terms and conditions document that includes complying with all food regulations and requirements.

Let suppose a customer gets sick due to food contamination so why (and how) would that be our responsibility? We are just delivering the food. Food provider has agreed with us to comply with all relevant requirements. We are not regulators to ensure they must follow but yes we’d try to ensure, however, in the end we don’t have control over food prep or its packaging. Therefore, how and why we would be in the firing line I wonder?

Thanks

Rowan@quaotic
    Participant
    Up

Whole food chain traceablility and accountability is a big thing right now and the government is pursuing that aim in every aspect of of the food industry.

No-one can escape it. In the agricultural industry an animal is traced through every part of its life from birth through slaughter through to where the meat is sold through electronic ear tags and pic numbers.
    And every person and business in the chain is responsible not only for their part but also for the link before and after, and can be prosecuted if something goes wrong

This is already being implemented in the retail part of the chain and although it is not as obvious everyone has responsibility in the same way. Businesses have already been fined when they have sold food that was not ‘right’ in some way – usually over contamination within their part of the chain.

You have a responsibility to your customers and cannot blame others if you haven’t done all you can to make sure the food you supply is safe and clean.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    DanielP289, post: 263537, member: 113298 wrote:
    Let suppose a customer gets sick due to food contamination so why (and how) would that be our responsibility? We are just delivering the food.

You could be blamed, correctly or incorrectly for the contamination during transport, it’s not the first time food has gone off due to poor practices.

Plus at the end of the day, you are the public face of the service, and as such who do you think the lawyer will be knocking at first.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.