Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Homemade products and licencing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    homemade
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    ::

Hi
    My name is Dot and I enjoy making homemade jam and whatever else I can from products that are in abundance such as tomatoes, apples and so on.
    I am a little confused as to whether I have to get some sort of licence for making the products at home and then selling them at markets.
    Are there separate issues for making the product at home – licence, inspections etc

Do I need a licence to sell at markets.

What are the restrictions if any for homemade products for sale at markets.

Dot

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    homemade, post: 195889 wrote:
    Hi
    My name is Dot and I enjoy making homemade jam and whatever else I can from products that are in abundance such as tomatoes, apples and so on.
    I am a little confused as to whether I have to get some sort of licence for making the products at home and then selling them at markets.
    Are there separate issues for making the product at home – licence, inspections etc

Do I need a licence to sell at markets.

What are the restrictions if any for homemade products for sale at markets.

Dot

We sell farm products at the markets, like bananas, oranges, jams and eggs.

I am only aware of needing a license for selling eggs. Which in my view is silly as it is.

Not sure about jams, we never had any problem, we put the date of when it was made on jams and write the dates (with pencil) on the eggs when we collected them.

Be interesting to see what others say.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Not sure which state you are in, but here in Victoria you would at least have to list all of the ingredients on the label

help4bis.com
    • Total posts: 268
    Up
    bb1, post: 195898 wrote:
    Not sure which state you are in, but here in Victoria you would at least have to list all of the ingredients on the label

True… we have that… Oops. I think that is for whole AU.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

If you’re in Vic. there’s a heap of rules, check with your local council health department.

Usually you’ll need;

Commercially registered kitchen (can be done for domestic kitchens @ slightly looser requirements usually) … if your making things to sell, jams, sauce, etc.

Food handler certification.

Food safety plan and audit stuff.

Labelling requirements as mentioned.

I would think whoever organises the markets you intend using would be onto all requirements.

Our local community hall provides a commercial kitchen (at a modest fee) for people like yourself … maybe there’s something similar near you.

My info may be a little rusty, but I’ve been through the mill having previously owned a cafe … and being sucked in to providing my food supervisors ticket to make the local hall legit.

In can be a politically correct “nightmare” in my experience … do some background research before you get too far down the track.

People generally love the homemade stuff (me too), but you may need to wade through some BS to get it working.

Good luck with the plan.

Nick Fielden
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    help4bis.com, post: 195892 wrote:
    We sell farm products at the markets, like bananas, oranges, jams and eggs.

I am only aware of needing a license for selling eggs. Which in my view is silly as it is.

Not sure about jams, we never had any problem, we put the date of when it was made on jams and write the dates (with pencil) on the eggs when we collected them.

Be interesting to see what others say.

You should check the Fed Govt’s Food Standards Code to see how your preparation and sale of foodstuffs will be affected. At the least you will need to register under the code. Food Safety & Hygieine inspectors will probably make periodic inspections of where you prepare your food for sale.

You should also consider indemnity insurance. If someone falls ill and if the cause can be traced to one of your food items, you may be liable in negligence.

The website is: http://www.foodstandards.gov.au/code/Pages/default.aspx

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.