Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Homepage Image

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mexham
    • Total posts: 302
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

I’ve doing a bit of website comparisons and started thinking about my website homepage. I quite like it as is, but wonder if maybe the image we have is not really the right one? Would people know what our main image (guy weaving) is portraying? Probably not! I think it would be good to have a nice picture of someone relaxing in a hammock there (as that’s what the site is about after all, not weaving), and might help with the bounce rate..

If you wouldn’t mind having a quick look at the following options, and letting me know which one you prefer – what looks best to you and would more likely entice you into the site? I have a favourite but would love other opinions. Thanks heaps!

Test 1
    Test 2
    Test 3
    Test 4
    Test 5
    Test 6
    Test 7

ORAdesign
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

I think I like the ones that aren’t looking at the camera. I think I like Test 5 best.

You could even look at getting on off istockphoto.com like this. Maybe have a few images fading through?

Paul Murphy
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

Yeah, a slide show would be good.

I know these are just tests, but it would look better if the images were cropped to size rather than scaled, making them look stretched.

TinaBMX
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

My favourite is test 4. This guy looks genuinely relaxed and doesn’t look like he’s posing for the camera. The ones where the girl is leaning forwards on her elbows and looking at the camera are the least attractive to me because she doesn’t look comfortable – it just looks awkward.

I also think the beach setting is good – everyone loves the beach – gives a relaxing holiday feel. I think 5 & 6 are also pretty good – the subjects look fairly relaxed and you can see how it can be used in a home setting.

From your post I’m guessing that what you’re selling behind the product is an aid to relaxation – I’d go for the most relaxed pose in the most relaxed setting. Even if people aren’t going to use it at the beach if they associate the beach with lazy holidays it could be a positive angle to use.

Just my 2 cents.

competitions
    • Total posts: 96
    Up

Rotate through images 3,4 & 5 as they have the 3 C’s – best colours, composition and content.

I agree with Paul, image 1 especially looks stretched.

mexham
    Up

Hi Guys, thanks a lot for the feedback so far. That’s cool.

I like the idea of the slideshow so am giving that a go at the moment. I found some tutorials how to do it on youtube, and it was pretty simple to get setup.

However I am having a problem where the image is not fitting to the size of the flash frame. The image always seems to be scaled leaving whitespace around the edge. Even with the flash box the exact size of the image it is doing it. I’ve tried adjusting all the properties and elements but still not working for me. Does anyone know how to do this, or what I am missing?

Thanks,
    Mike

ORAdesign
    • Total posts: 8
    Up

Not sure what problem you’re having. Can you put it on your website somewhere and give us a link to have a look at?

One thing to consider, if you’ve never made a flash banner before, is to use something like Banner Snack. You could just sign up for a month, create the banner, then export the swf file.

mexham
    Up

Hi Owen,

thanks for that link. That banner site looks good.

I’ve put it up now with the flash slideshow;
    Test 8

As you can see the images don’t fit to the full size of the flash box (the flash box total size is the size of all the white space around the image). Even if I make the box smaller than the images, they are cropped smaller again still leaving me with the with space. I want all that space filled with the image like in the other tests.

If you know what i’m doing wrong that’d be awesome thanks. I’ve tried all the various settings etc, but can’t seem to find what is going wrong.

Cheers,
    Mike

mexham
    Up

Hey guys, for those interested I had a bunch of people review the pics for me.

Test 5 was first closely followed by test 3 then test 4. The others lagged a bit.

However I liked the suggestion of a slideshow from Owen at Ora Design the best. I had a bit of trouble doing that myself but Owen my new favourite webdesigner contacted me privately and offered to do this for me.

Within 30mins he had created the file for me (all for free aswell) and the info to get it setup
    You can see it here now;
    http://www.hammocksaustralia.com.au/index%20test2.html

I think it looks great, thanks very much for that Owen, great job! Highly recommended if you need a webdesigner.

Cheers to everyone else for their feedback and suggestions.

Benedict
    • Total posts: 144
    Up

That looks so much better and yes I finally get that you are Hammocks.

Can I give a general “Told You So” on the value of using a professional to get a professional result? Ok, I’ll stop now…

:-)

Jacqueline
    • Total posts: 1
    Up

Hey Mexham,

I know you’ve wrapped up with your homepage design thanks to Owen, but in the future if you need any images that reflect your business (ie hammocks) definitely check out the collections that iStockphoto offers.

See this pic:http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-photo-7064543-woman-in-a-hammock.php – the image really draws you in.

Or if you’d like to incorporate some video you could try this which I found on iStock as well: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-video-9845869-woman-in-hammock-with-shadow-audio.php

Good luck with the design and shout if you have any questions.

Jill
    • Total posts: 102
    Up

Hi again Mike (yes Im on the snoop now :)..
    If I’d got here sooner I could have helped also. The Flash slideshow is definitely the best option and you’ve got a great result there.
    One of the golden rules of design is NEVER stretch photos OR text EVER.
    If you’re trying to create your Flash in Flash MX or similar, just scale your image within the document so it exceeds the boundaries of the document, so there can be no white spaces on either side. Dont stretch the image, but enlarge it then crop, keeping the scale of the image true to original.

PS nice hammocks :)

King
    • Total posts: 2,212
    Up

yes pics are looking good – font in main text looks too big ATM. Easy fixed ;)

mexham
    Up

Hi Jacqueline, thanks for your comments and those links to iphotos. Those images look great and the video really gives a good sense of just relaxing and time passing – it did just take a while to load/run smoothly so not so sure about videos. Pity they are both brazilian hammocks though! I’m sure I can find some good Mexican ones also though.

Hi Jill, thanks a lot for that advice also. Sometimes it is just the little things I get stuck on when I try and do myself. That’s where you guys, google and youtube come in handy! Thanks everyone for all the feedback.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.