Home – New Forums Starting your journey Honest Opinions Wanted Please

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Emity Lane
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi there.

I am starting my own business like the rest of us all here. It is a dress boutique named “Ms. Chievious” and all the unique dresses are hand made from recycled clothing.

Previously I had named the business “Enaj Haras” which is my name backwards and the name was letting it down severely so that is why I am now re-branding.

I collaborated with a friend of mine who is an amateur graphic artist and she has developed a brand/logo/signage for me. I am not completely happy with it. I think the font is perhaps wrong and the lips are too generic and have been done too many times previously. I’m not even sure about the red. This is it here on facebook with the start of my page: http://www.facebook.com/ms.chieviousfashion

What is you honest opinion? I want it to be modern and fun. I had a dream that the logo was a tree wearing a dress but not sure if that will work or not. I also want it to be bright and vibrant and welcoming.

How can I improve it? How can I get it done very cheaply as I’m on a very tight budget? Thanks in advance.

BlackCoffeeComms
    • Total posts: 472
    Up

OK, you asked for honest…..did you intentionally misspell “chievous” for your business name? Mischievious is a common – and inane – misspelling and mispronunciation of the word. It immediately puts me off. But keep in mind I am a word pedant and I’m sure it won;t have the same effect on everyone!

Also, there is approximately six gazillion businesses out there that seem to use the “won’t cost the earth” play on words for inexpensive/recycled/organic/natural stuff. And yeah, the lips are over-used as well.

I know you are on a budget, but you REALLY shouldn’t skimp on your branding as it will go a long way towards the success of your business. And branding is more than a logo, it’s the fonts you use, the “voice” of your marketing material, the way you answer the phone and so, so much more. It all contributes to your business attracting the ideal client.

There are many designers here who I am sure will weigh in – and be happy to help out at a reasonable cost.

Cheers

Nicole

Emity Lane
    Up

Thanks Nicole.

Yes I do want honest and no I didn’t realise that it was spelt wrong but I had a feeling that it perhaps was although after much researching I found it to be used both ways just as often and was unsure.

I would love to re-word it differently but I am at a major writer’s block with it. With all of it really. I know how I want it to feel but I can’t seem to convey that properly. The design from my mate is just temporary until I create the right brand that works and that is exactly why I posted it here to get some real advice and proper help to make it more professional. My mission is in a few years to actually open a boutique locally here somewhere so I need it to be something that could work on a shop front and for my labeling system on the dresses themselves. It’s nothing like what I imagined unfortunately and I was really dissapointed with it. Thank you again for your advice and I can’t wait to read what others have to say too.

My Wedding Concierge
    • Total posts: 109
    Up

Hey there, excellent decision on re-branding! The original name was never going to benefit your business.

I tend to agree with you however that the new logo probably isn’t the best. From what I could see on your FB page the look is very unique, youthful, and the name indicated a kind of playful / edgy type of vibe.

This is definitely not at all the feel that you get from your logo. The font choices look as though it’s catering a lot more towards an older more traditional style market. It makes me think of women over 40 or something.

The kiss doesn’t work either, it doesn’t match the font style, or fit the feeling that it creates so it’s a bit of a mismatch.

Sorry to hammer it, but the above poster is right, the brand of your business is extremely important because it sets the tone for everything else that you’ll do with your business.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Ms. Chievious,

Ms. Chievious, post: 121417 wrote:
    I am starting my own business like the rest of us all here.

Just to clarify, although there are quite a few forum members who are in start-up mode like you, the majority of our active contributors are extremely experienced, and generous with their time and advice to boot.

Good on you for asking their opinions, and for taking Nicole’s feedback on the chin. :)

For my two cents worth, I had the same response as Nicole to the misspelling of the name – and I’m concerned for you that it may make it difficult for people to find you when they’re looking for you.

Best of luck with the new venture,
    Jayne

bluewoodstudio
    • Total posts: 233
    Up

Just quickly popping it to say hi, and to agree with previous posters about the spelling, lips and bad typeface.

I really like your actual name, Sarah Jane, but can imagine it has been used for businesses quite a bit. How about something mike Miss Jane or Missy Jane???? But with the spelling fixed and the logo reworked your new name could work really well.

Have a look at my folio and get in touch if you want some further help developing your logo. If you are not in a huge hurry I am sure I can help you out at a reasonable price and/or with barter?

Heidi :)

Nikita
    • Total posts: 120
    Up

Let’s break it up into pieces:

Naming – agree with others in the above posts

Font – Old fashioned, could work 10 years ago.

Lips – I had this one in mind straight away:http://suams.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/burgerlicious.jpg

Slogan – please delete, no one wants this on their dress.

If you really what to be modern/trendy you need to look at the mix of things, especially for the fashion industry. You can use modern font and make classic symbol or vice versa.

Maybe that what you should be aiming for: http://nikita.com.au/files-to-send/francheska.html

Hope this helps.

Emity Lane
    Up
    novnik, post: 121437 wrote:
    Let’s break it up into pieces:

Naming – agree with others in the above posts

Font – Old fashioned, could work 10 years ago.

Lips – I had this one in mind straight away:http://suams.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/burgerlicious.jpg

Slogan – please delete, no one wants this on their dress.

If you really what to be modern/trendy you need to look at the mix of things, especially for the fashion industry. You can use modern font and make classic symbol or vice versa.

Maybe that what you should be aiming for: http://nikita.com.au/files-to-send/francheska.html

Hope this helps.

Hi and thank you so much! This is all great and yeah beginning to agree with everyone that maybe it all still needs a re-think including the name. I love the “francheska” that is awesome and more the kind of thing I am looking for. I am now looking through your design studio site some more. Thanks again.

Emity Lane
    Up
    bluewoodstudio, post: 121435 wrote:
    Just quickly popping it to say hi, and to agree with previous posters about the spelling, lips and bad typeface.

I really like your actual name, Sarah Jane, but can imagine it has been used for businesses quite a bit. How about something mike Miss Jane or Missy Jane???? But with the spelling fixed and the logo reworked your new name could work really well.

Have a look at my folio and get in touch if you want some further help developing your logo. If you are not in a huge hurry I am sure I can help you out at a reasonable price and/or with barter?

Heidi :)

Thank you. I agree the name and all of it needs a re-work and I am so glad I have finally found people that can help me and point me in the right direction. Liking the Miss Jane kind of idea too. Having a look at your stuff now. Thanks again.

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Hi There *waves* :)

Firstly, sorry you’ve had a bad experience so far.

There’s a whole lot of responses above, but I want to say to you STOP. Stop, rewind and go back to basics.

Would recommend you take a look at what your Brand Values are.
    THEN clarify the name.
    THEN think about the visual identity.

It’s really hard to work on a visual identity without having some of the better foundations of a brand laid first.

Good luck!

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Hi again Sarah

I just wanted to add to the chorus of support for you – you have taken all this advice very charitably, which shows to me that you are serious about this business thing :)

The above poster nails it with the stop, rewind and have a think about a few issues:

WHO is your ideal customer and what will make them purchase your product?

WHAT image do you want to portray with your brand?

WHAT kind of marketing material are you looking at (you need a look and feel that will go across platforms)?

HOW do you want people to feel when they see your brand?

I like Miss Jane, and Sarah Jane, (Sarah J.?) better than Ms Chievious – which doesn’t appear to reflect the image you are going for anyway (taking aside the small matter of the spelling)

cheers

Nicole

Emity Lane
    Up
    BlackCoffeeComms, post: 121468 wrote:
    Hi again Sarah

I just wanted to add to the chorus of support for you – you have taken all this advice very charitably, which shows to me that you are serious about this business thing :)

The above poster nails it with the stop, rewind and have a think about a few issues:

WHO is your ideal customer and what will make them purchase your product?

WHAT image do you want to portray with your brand?

WHAT kind of marketing material are you looking at (you need a look and feel that will go across platforms)?

HOW do you want people to feel when they see your brand?

I like Miss Jane, and Sarah Jane, (Sarah J.?) better than Ms Chievious – which doesn’t appear to reflect the image you are going for anyway (taking aside the small matter of the spelling)

cheers

Nicole

Thanks heaps for those questions I have written them all down and am going to answer them all thoroughly again. As for the name I always thought it was a bad idea to name a business after yourself though. I agree Ms.Chievious is not the right feel I am going for. Another great suggestion from an amateur professional friend of mine. Am learning the hard way that I may indeed have to pay for a professional look and feel after all…

TheGoldenGoose
    • Total posts: 860
    Up

Unfortunately, you do get what you pay for most days!

I offer Mini Brand Consults – one hour chat to give you direction/clarity in your business.. an option if you need it without the big initial investment.

Best of luck!

Emity Lane
    Up

I want to add that there is a name I have been sitting on for years but never actually used it. What about “Jane Lane”???? Would that work? Or something along those lines.
    What are the trademark search sites etc. to check it with?

BlackCoffeeComms
    Up

Hi Sarah

I don’t mind Jane Lane…but there is an Audrey Lane already (https://www.facebook.com/AudreyLaneElegance)…. As for naming your business after yourself, I think Myer, Harvey Norman and Dick Smith might disagree with you :) The only issue is if/when you want to sell the business it might get tricky. But a classic name like Sarah or Jane, I wouldn’t see a problem.

Good luck!

Nicole

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.