Home – New Forums New here? Share your story Hope you can help.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sell Muniz
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

Hi everyone.

I have been reading your posts and I was wondering if someone would know if it is okay to open a second hand clothing shop. I have always enjoyed visiting flea markets and I thought I could mabe have my own. Is that a good idea? What kind of costs would that involve? I am thinking of leasing a small shop.

Thank you all.

Sell

fav
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Hi Sell,

Yes, go for it! I’m in clothing retail, but know someone who is selling pre-loved clothing. She leases in a small shopping centre which has a country feel to it, and people love browsing in her small shop. She doesn’t buy any clothes, but sell it for others. Eg. someone has a good dress (some great labels) and want about $10 for it. She sells it for what she can and pocket the rest.
    She also sell my overstock items, which is brandnew. She knows the cost of it and pockets the rest. She organizes auctions in the centre, and has a preview a few days before. She has a network, because she mentioned tea mornings with some ladies. She offers a service, that is why it is working. The auction for my stuff is coming up on the 8th. I will let you know if it was a success.
    All the best to you,
    fav

yourbusinessprofit
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

Good morning Sell.

Congratulation on the getting the entrepreneur spirit!

Here is a great starter article on creating a secondhand clothing store:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4744640_start-secondhand-clothing-business.html

You may want to review the permits/licences you’ll need as well:
    http://www.bli.net.au/

If you need assistance please don’t hesitate to ask.

Sell Muniz
    Up

Hey Fav,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    It sounds like a good idea doesn’t it? I am overseas at the moment coming back in a couple of weeks but I will sure go for it. :)
    I’d love to know how your the action went.
    I’ll let you know how I’m doing when I have things in place.

All the best to you too ;)

Sell

fav, post: 37165 wrote:
    Hi Sell,

Yes, go for it! I’m in clothing retail, but know someone who is selling pre-loved clothing. She leases in a small shopping centre which has a country feel to it, and people love browsing in her small shop. She doesn’t buy any clothes, but sell it for others. Eg. someone has a good dress (some great labels) and want about $10 for it. She sells it for what she can and pocket the rest.
    She also sell my overstock items, which is brandnew. She knows the cost of it and pockets the rest. She organizes auctions in the centre, and has a preview a few days before. She has a network, because she mentioned tea mornings with some ladies. She offers a service, that is why it is working. The auction for my stuff is coming up on the 8th. I will let you know if it was a success.
    All the best to you,
    fav

marketingweb
    • Total posts: 625
    Up

Good luck with your new venture.

I think the most important thing is to work out how you will differentiate yourself from the Charity operated clothing outlets.

The price of second hand clothing in Australia is very low in general, and in many areas there are large opp shops operated by St Vinnies or the Salvos for example. These stores have two advantages in the fact that people are willing to provide the clothes for free as donations, the fact they are usually operated by volunteer labor, and the fact that people are happy the money is going to charity.

To operate a commercial venture of this type I think you need to create a strong brand and target yourself in a way that is a little more upmarket than the average opp shop. You cannot compete on price with anyone who has volunteers doing the work, so you need to do something better or different to justify your higher price.

Even though you are selling second hand clothes as opp shops do, I believe you need to look at your main competition as “new” clothing stores. You need to merchandise as professionally as them, have your signage as professional, create a bit of a “brand” around your store. Your product is not new and you can’t offer a range of sizes in each garment, but you do need to present and display your product in a way that makes it look as good as new. If you look like an opp shop without a charity or smells musty like old clothes, it won’t work.

As someone else mentioned, I would also consider looking at how you can purchase end of line, clearance, discontinued clothing from wholesalers rather than concentrating just on second hand, as you will then have a more reliable supply and the chance of having multiple sizes of some garments.

Another service you can offer would be to try to source particular garments for people. There are often people who like particular items that may technically be two years ago fashion, but have trouble finding them. If you can find the items they want, they are more likely to pay a good price for them as they may not be able to find what they want elsewhere.

One last thing, make sure you don’t forget to get a second hand dealers license which is required to operate.

Best of luck
    Matt
    Marketing Web

Sell Muniz
    Up

Excellent points, Matt.

Thanks a million for your tips.

Kind regards,

Sell

Julia Nitschke
    • Total posts: 40
    Up

Hi Sell!

Your idea sounds great, I just have a couple of thoughts.

Have a good business plan and understand your costs really well especially if you are renting premises. You don’t want to be locked into a long expensive lease if you are doing second hand clothes which are not bringing in huge revenue per piece.

I think there is a good market for quality items which people really want but don’t want to pay top dollar for. Especially as household budgets are stretched, second hand good quality items always sell well. You might be able to attract good quality stock through clothes on consignment and maybe even pick up some items on Ebay which you can onsell. Once again though, it all comes down to the numbers and operating costs!

Good luck and keep us all informed of how you go.

Sell Muniz
    Up

Hi Julia,

Thanks for your thoughts. To be honest I don’t know where to start from with the business plan (and that scares me a bit) but I will keep on researching and hopefully I’ll get there. I understand that most people who want to fly solo share the same fear. I have been reading a lot about that and thank God for the internet, which can give us a lot of hope. :)
    You’re right in regards to the leasing part. I got to be careful on that too.
    Anyway, I am still doing a lot of browsing and reading so I want to make sure I have at least a fair understanding on how to run this type of business but I know hundreds of questions will come up.
    That is why I am glad I joined this forum. It has been really helpful.
    Thank you so much for your help and I will keep you all informed on my development. ;)

Kind regards,

Sell

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Sell,

Have you consider doing the markets in your area? Its good fun, you get to know the client face to face, and get a better sense of the price you should be charging. It might be a good step before jumping into opening a shop.
    Have you sold on Ebay? I think clothes go very well on Ebay, as long as you are very specific and clear with your descriptions, you can do really well.

Good Luck!!!

Sell Muniz
    Up

Hi Ana Lucia.

I have sold on E-bay but I still prefer Gumtree which, It works more efficiently.
    I would love to know more about selling in local markets. Wouldn’t that be more complicated as I would need to see the council in order to get various permits?
    Do you know anything about that? Any info is truly welcome. ;) I think it would be fantastic starting with markets first.

Regards,

Sell

AnaLucia
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Hi Sell,
    I am pretty sure you only need special permits when you sell food.
    Usually the market organizers do all the paper works with the councils, you only need a Public Liability Insurance specifying that you sell at markets and festivals, its easy to get and not expensive at all. I am not sure where do you live, if you live in Sydney: Kirribilli goes off regarding second hand clothes. I am sure in your local area will be lots of options.
    Besides paper work you will need to set up your stall nice and pretty, the best option is getting a gazebo, go for the deluxe option 3m x 3m as mostly all of the markets give you that space, if you dont have already get some clothes racks, a mirror, a trestle table, or anything else you think it will help you to display better your clothes. The clue i think is: try to have a pretty stall, nice and pretty!
    Good Luck!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.