Home – New Forums Find the help you need horrible experience with scanner, great support from Officeworks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    pix2print.com.au
    • Total posts: 178
    Up
    ::

Hi guys,

I just had a horrible experience with [business name removed] I thought I’d share with you, hopefully preventing anybody else there to have the same experience.

Last week I bought a [business name removed] scanner online via Officeoworks. They delivered the next day (amazing) and I happily installed the scanner, did some test scans and was very happy with the result. In short it all worked fine and I was happy with my new purchase.

Today I turned the scanner on again as I had to make a scan for the business. I thought I would test the buttons on the front (the shortcut buttons) and pressed the one that is supposed to email the scan.

No such luck.

Anyway, to cut a long story short: I spent more than half hour with [business name removed] support on the phone, even escalating it to the manager. They took me through all sorts of installing / uninstalling / turning this off / turning that off until the conclusion was that ‘something’ was incompatable with the [business name removed] software. And that was that in their opinion.

They were not going to help me out any further, not even the manager was prepared to do anything else. All he kept repeating was that something was incompatable and therefore it wasn’t the fault of [business name removed] as their software works fine (!).

I then called Officeworks (a local store) and was told by the duty manager there, that “Of course you can bring it back in and we’ll either give you credit or replace it with something else. I even told him that the bin had already been emptied and I don’t have anything the scanner came in anymore! No problem he said, we will still happily replace the scanner!

You can imagine my relief!!! I spent more than $250 on this thing, money I really can’t afford to just throw away!!

Anyway, hopefully you will be able to avoid [business name removed] for your scanning needs and avoid having dramas with their ‘support’ centre…

(it’s pretty noisy too so I am not unhappy about being able to swap it with a real reason!)

(hope this is in the right forum…!)

Happy Tuesday!

Cheers,
    Jude

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jude,

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve edited this post as it is outside the forum guidelines to publicly name businesses that you’ve had a dispute with.

We hope you understand, and are pleased that you ended up with an alternative brand.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Hi Jude,

Just wanted to let you know that I’ve edited this post as it is outside the forum guidelines to publicly name businesses that you’ve had a dispute with.

We hope you understand, and are pleased that you ended up with an alternative brand.

Best wishes,
    Jayne

JohnSheppard
    • Total posts: 940
    Up
    pix2print.com.au, post: 111118 wrote:
    Anyway, hopefully you will be able to avoid [business name removed] for your scanning needs and avoid having dramas with their ‘support’ centre…

In fairness to [business name removed]. Resolving the issue sounds like it would cost them considerably more than the profit they make on the equipment. They have no way to determine that your computer or windows install is at fault without going on site or remoting in. Both of these are not practical solutions when dealing with retail customers.

While I have never been a customer facing technician I would guess that more often than not it is user error or windows installation errors that cause such problems rather than the goods or driver issues. Computers are complicated.

Officeworks take the goods back because it is cheaper to do so than to educate the consumer, research the issue or argue with the consumer. I would agree that it is good business sense to do so, but nothing more than that :)

JohnSheppard
    Up
    pix2print.com.au, post: 111118 wrote:

In fairness to [business name removed]. Resolving the issue sounds like it would cost them considerably more than the profit they make on the equipment. They have no way to determine that your computer or windows install is at fault without going on site or remoting in. Both of these are not practical solutions when dealing with retail customers.

While I have never been a customer facing technician I would guess that more often than not it is user error or windows installation errors that cause such problems rather than the goods or driver issues. Computers are complicated.

Officeworks take the goods back because it is cheaper to do so than to educate the consumer, research the issue or argue with the consumer. I would agree that it is good business sense to do so, but nothing more than that :)

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

99.9% of all computer errors are located on the chair in front of the PC.

NathanB
    • Total posts: 775
    Up

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

While you may very well have got a faulty scanner – Those buttons have never worked on any scanner I’ve owned. ;)

bluepenguin
    • Total posts: 1,026
    Up

While you may very well have got a faulty scanner – Those buttons have never worked on any scanner I’ve owned. ;)

pix2print.com.au
    Up

It wasn’t just the buttons that didn’t work, the accompanying software to run it doesn’t even open… and a few days ago it did work (software and all!).

After they ran their ‘tests’ with me (turning off computer, uninstall / install, etc), all they said was “something is incompatible”.

Over the weekend I have not installed anything and I don’t have anything automatically installing itself on my computer either. All I was told that maybe skype could be a problem or some photo sofware program could be the cause…?!

Anyway, I have spent enough time on this already. I am taking it back to Officeworks and will exchange for another one. It was meant as a warning for others considering buying a scanner, but I don’t think I will post any warnings here anymore as it seems I am the one under attack right now and I don’t want to spend any time defending myself. This has taken up far too much of my time already (the dealing with the faulty scanner).

pix2print.com.au
    Up

It wasn’t just the buttons that didn’t work, the accompanying software to run it doesn’t even open… and a few days ago it did work (software and all!).

After they ran their ‘tests’ with me (turning off computer, uninstall / install, etc), all they said was “something is incompatible”.

Over the weekend I have not installed anything and I don’t have anything automatically installing itself on my computer either. All I was told that maybe skype could be a problem or some photo sofware program could be the cause…?!

Anyway, I have spent enough time on this already. I am taking it back to Officeworks and will exchange for another one. It was meant as a warning for others considering buying a scanner, but I don’t think I will post any warnings here anymore as it seems I am the one under attack right now and I don’t want to spend any time defending myself. This has taken up far too much of my time already (the dealing with the faulty scanner).

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    NathanB, post: 111152 wrote:

Oh if only that were true. And speaking as a commerical software designer for the last 15 years, I can tell you I WISH that it was.

User error accounts for a lot of issues, most of them utterly trivial, programming errors account for whole heap more, most of them utterly horrible.

The truth of it is that there is some real rubbish released that simply doesn’t work on lots of machines because it just isn’t robust enough and like all “cheap” products is made to a price.

Software that comes free with a piece of electronics is best avoided wherever possible. It typically isn’t needed and very often works in ways that are utterly mysterious. And, as we’ve seen here often just doesn’t work quite right. Still, as it’s a component part of the product that you bought, if it doesn’t serve the purpose, you can and should take it back to the vendor.

Uncomplicating
    • Total posts: 731
    Up
    NathanB, post: 111152 wrote:

Oh if only that were true. And speaking as a commerical software designer for the last 15 years, I can tell you I WISH that it was.

User error accounts for a lot of issues, most of them utterly trivial, programming errors account for whole heap more, most of them utterly horrible.

The truth of it is that there is some real rubbish released that simply doesn’t work on lots of machines because it just isn’t robust enough and like all “cheap” products is made to a price.

Software that comes free with a piece of electronics is best avoided wherever possible. It typically isn’t needed and very often works in ways that are utterly mysterious. And, as we’ve seen here often just doesn’t work quite right. Still, as it’s a component part of the product that you bought, if it doesn’t serve the purpose, you can and should take it back to the vendor.

JohnSheppard
    Up
    Uncomplicating, post: 111187 wrote:

I have worked retail computer goods before. In my experience customer error/ignorance accounts for about 50%. Maybe 40% is actual hardware fault. Maybe 10% is software related.

The truth of it is that there is some real rubbish released that simply doesn’t work on lots of machines because it just isn’t robust enough and like all “cheap” products is made to a priAce.

I wouldn’t deny that though :)

Are you talking about crapware or drivers?

In my personal experience, crapware lives up to its name in every shape and form. When it subsidises the cost of the hardware, the people who get bitten are the people who don’t know what crapware is. As a general rule I never install it, and or uninstall it all…

As a retails sales person in electronic/computer goods you learn very quickly not to try and educate the consumer…(or at least to pick your battles)

I have a sibling involved in driver software development. He’s always going on about what a load of poorly developed rubbish it all is.

I agree though. If it don’t work. Bring it back. Get a different brand/model. It’s the cheapest thing to do for all involved.

As a support tech for [business name removed] they should really be focusing on brandname reputation management and getting the goods back to the store…That is, they should have focused on trying to get Jude to return the goods and still be happy…

IMO thats the cheapest thing to do…for everyone…(assuming they wrote their drivers properly)

JohnSheppard
    Up

I have worked retail computer goods before. In my experience customer error/ignorance accounts for about 50%. Maybe 40% is actual hardware fault. Maybe 10% is software related.

The truth of it is that there is some real rubbish released that simply doesn’t work on lots of machines because it just isn’t robust enough and like all “cheap” products is made to a priAce.

I wouldn’t deny that though :)

Are you talking about crapware or drivers?

In my personal experience, crapware lives up to its name in every shape and form. When it subsidises the cost of the hardware, the people who get bitten are the people who don’t know what crapware is. As a general rule I never install it, and or uninstall it all…

As a retails sales person in electronic/computer goods you learn very quickly not to try and educate the consumer…(or at least to pick your battles)

I have a sibling involved in driver software development. He’s always going on about what a load of poorly developed rubbish it all is.

I agree though. If it don’t work. Bring it back. Get a different brand/model. It’s the cheapest thing to do for all involved.

As a support tech for [business name removed] they should really be focusing on brandname reputation management and getting the goods back to the store…That is, they should have focused on trying to get Jude to return the goods and still be happy…

IMO thats the cheapest thing to do…for everyone…(assuming they wrote their drivers properly)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.