Home Forums Money matters Hosted solution with currency and multi location inventory?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    jd_1000
    • Total posts: 3

Thanks to the wonders of Google, stumbled upon this website and have spent the morning browsing many interesting threads!

Have a small import business that is run currently out of spreadsheets which are admittedly cumbersome and difficult to manage with growth, not to mention requiring a lot of manual work and error checking. I deal in multiple currencies as I buy goods in from various parts of the world.

One of the reasons I went this way, other than cost, was due to having the stock I sell on consignment with a couple of my main customers, while other clients purchase goods outright.

I need to be able to raise purchase orders, receipt those goods either into my own store or directly into a customers consignment (including any on costs such as freight) and then either invoice those goods from my location to another customer or from the consignment location.

Now with growth, I need to bring on other people to help with the accounts and logistics side of the business. To be able to do that, they will need access to the data which means my existing excel solution being single user and very manual is not suitable.

MYOB won’t work as far as I can tell being that it isn’t online to support multiple users at the same time? I did a quickbooks trial to see how that would work but it lacked the multi location flow and my accountant isn’t a fan of their software (I’m not changing accountants!).

Doing the same with Xero, appears to be the same limitation. Going further, reading up on tracked inventory sounds like it wouldn’t be suitable anyway as I need to receipt purchase orders and the consignment is updated intermittently.

Now I’m not a fan of the idea of paying for a subscription to Xero and then an even more expensive 3rd party addon, not to mention the fact they’re unrelated I’m sure any limitations or problems will become a case of blame hot potato!

It’s not a big business, nor likely to ever expand beyond 2-3 employees so a mid tier ERP system is overkill and likely not affordable.

I considered using Xero just for the invoicing and accounting side of the business, then using a separate application for my inventory management. But playing in the trial, I can’t see how I can track the on costs related to both purchases and sales anyway. It seems too basic for a business involved in importing and currency? I’d have to do manual entry like I do now in spreadsheets which defeats the point?

Am I looking at the wrong software packages here? Can anyone give me some direction on a solution that would work for my scenario ?

Thanks in advance!
    John

Lisa Crocker
    • Total posts: 221

Hi John,

Glad you found us and thanks for posting! Hopefully some of our members will be able to share some words of wisdom.

All the best,
    Lisa

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805

Hi John,

All of the ones you mentioned have multi currency and locations (Quickbooks calls it Classes) , either built in or by connected Apps.

Another completely different solution may be your own cloud system.

My brother was struggling with finding a solution without huge subscriptions and he has commission agents so he purchased an application which was an ERP system with accounting built in, but you won’t be able to do BAS etc directly from it thought.

He bought it from Code Canyon and installed it on his shared hosting (it pretty much self installed), cost him $50 to buy outright and his hosting is about $40 a month, but he uses the same hosting for his 2 WordPress websites too, so he was paying for hosting already.

Some examples for you (NOTE: I haven’t used these ones specifically, but I have used other from Code Canyon) these are just examples of what I am talking about.

https://codecanyon.net/item/erp-business-erp-solution-product-shop-company-management/19314578

https://codecanyon.net/item/ultimate-pos-stock-management-point-of-sale-application/21216332

https://preview.codecanyon.net/item/wholesale-inventory-control-and-inventory-management-system/full_screen_preview/20291791?_ga=2.16378230.190918984.1570675166-1868894936.1567385781

Click on Live Preview to access the demos.

I have a Project Management application I bought off Code Canyon, installed on my shared hosting account and my staff all over the place log in and use it.

Best of luck and have a little play around to find an affordable solutions that works for you

Cheers
    Mischelle :)

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

You may not want to change accountants, but for the privilidge of your accountant having you as a valuable client he should bypass his poor customer service attitude, and come to the party.

I don’t like mowing customers lawns on a diagonal, but if thats what they want, then they deserve to , they are paying the money.

jd_1000, post: 267395, member: 116064 wrote:
    I did a quickbooks trial to see how that would work but it lacked the multi location flow and my accountant isn’t a fan of their software (I’m not changing accountants!).

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,472

Just remembering with [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] solution, she is a self admitted tech head (Think I saw you admit that somewhere [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] ), so going down the path of self hosting and one of solutions is not for everyone. And I could just imagine your accountants attitude to you doing something out of left field.

Mischelle
    • Total posts: 805
    bb1, post: 267432, member: 53375 wrote:
    Just remembering with [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] solution, she is a self admitted tech head (Think I saw you admit that somewhere [USER=60404]@Mischelle[/USER] ), so going down the path of self hosting and one of solutions is not for everyone. And I could just imagine your accountants attitude to you doing something out of left field.
    Very true Bert, I am a self confessed tech head, none of it scares me, love getting my tech fingers dirty LOL, but this was my older brother and I didn’t help him in any way, he did it himself in about 20 minutes with the installation documentation and he isn’t a tech head at all other than his phone of course.

But, he sort of felt there was no loss other than $50 if it didn’t work, and he also knew he could call me, so I suppose there is that too :):)

jd_1000

Sorry been away so couldn’t access the forums!

Mischelle, post: 267427, member: 60404 wrote:
    Another completely different solution may be your own cloud system.
    Interesting ideas there, will spend some time going through that site. I’m a bit of a techy as well and very familiar with cloud environments so not afraid of giving something like that a go. Thanks Mischelle.

bb1, post: 267431, member: 53375 wrote:
    You may not want to change accountants, but for the privilidge of your accountant having you as a valuable client he should bypass his poor customer service attitude, and come to the party.
    I probably didn’t deliver that very well but accountant isn’t against me using any one package and will support whatever I want. But I’d be foolish to not at least listen to the financial professionals who’ve helped me in business for many years successfully. From my trial of both the application and external apps, it felt cumbersome.

Mischelle, post: 267433, member: 60404 wrote:
    But, he sort of felt there was no loss other than $50 if it didn’t work
    That was my first though too, couple hundred dollars and a weekend of playing around is far more appearing that committing to an expensive system and being stuck with it!
    IronMaiden
    • Total posts: 125

I’m currently evaluating inventory and accounting packages myself. I wonder whether Reckon Hosted (not Reckon One) would give you the functionality you need. Personally I found it very bloated but the inventory capacity seems good. The other alternative might be something like Zoho Books which integrates with the CRM. It doesn’t have payroll though, which for me is a bummer as I love ZohoCRM. We pay for the professional level which has ‘Zoho Inventory’ as a free add on (with the exception of doing quotes). Let us know what you end up settling on.
    Tricia

jd_1000

Just did a quick Zoho Books trial, quite an easy interface to use with basic inventory. Unfortunately the multi warehouse option from one of the addon’s ramps the price up big time. I don’t need payroll for this business so that isn’t an issue.

Might do some testing this weekend in Zoho without the mutli warehouse option and see if I can make it work. Maybe I’m asking too much and willing to pay too little and over complicating what should be a simple business!

That said, interesting that in all the time I spent googling, didn’t find any of these options. Great forum :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.