Home – New Forums Other discussions Hostess the worst domain sellers ever?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up
    ::

Frustrated rant ahead…

I recently bought the .com.au version of my domain name from the person who held it. We filled out all the paperwork to transfer the domain registration and then waited. Three weeks later we rang Netregistry to ask what was happening with it.

Turned out the domain wasn’t held through Netregistry, although the original owner has bought it through them and the Whois database said it was registered with Netregistry. Turns out it was actually registered through Hostess, a reseller for Netregistry. This was a suprise to the previous owner who has ‘all’ her domains through them…. Now she’s wondering how many are actually with NR and how many are with resellers….

Anyway, the only contact method for Hostess is via email. So we emailed. Nothing. Submitted a support ticket – and it came back with the response “We’ve got an unusually high work load right now so transfers are taking 2-3 weeks” Never mind that it was already more than three weeks….

Waited another few days. Submitted another support ticket, this one marked critical and pointed out that we’d been quoted 2-3 weeks and it was nearly four. Received a reply (last thursday) that it would be transferred that day.

Nothing.

Sent off another critical request on tuesday, naming the person who replied last week, and asking when it was going to actually happen, and to leave the support ticket open until the transfer was completed. The transfer finally happened on wednesday this week. Over four weeks…

Anyway, I’m a happy camper, I’ve got an email that tells me its’ transferred and the accounts dept will be in touch. Two days later? NOTHING!

I own the domain, it’s finally in my name, and they haven’t give me any way to access it. Hostess suck totally. Their customer service is shocking. And I’m really peeved….

Chris Bates
    • Total posts: 966
    Up

Perhaps it’s time to escalate this to NR themselves. If hostess is a reseller, it all comes back on the NRs reputation.

I hate places like this. I had a client who’s web host had NO PHONE NUMBER, it was purely email. It was the same, waiting ages for a response to the support ticket, etc.

Melinda B
    Up
    Chris Bates, post: 36001 wrote:
    Perhaps it’s time to escalate this to NR themselves. If hostess is a reseller, it all comes back on the NRs reputation.
    If I don’t get access today then I’ll escalate it. And I’m planning to write a complaint to NR about it anyway, just hoping to get it resolved before I do that.
    MattR
    • Total posts: 196
    Up

I use Hostess for email but not web. I have found the email side easy to use and reliable. But I chose not to use them for web hosting precisely for the reason that I thought if I had trouble then I’d be whistling dixie!

Sorry … I hope you work through it.

chris_king435
    • Total posts: 29
    Up

Hey,

It’s unfortunate to hear that you have had such a run around. Just a few things that should help sort things out a little quicker.

1. Hostess aren’t a “reseller”, they are owned by netregistry and are a sister brand.

2. They are the “cheap” alternative. They are meant for people who “know what they are doing” and don’t need support. Hence why they don’t have phone support and hand helding facilities. However, i don’t agree with the duration of time it’s taken them to respond.

3. If you are still failing to get an answer, try contacting

brett[dot]fenton[at]netregistry[dot]com[dot]au

Explain your situation, he is generally very helpful as long as you are reasonable as well.

Good luck with your domain,

Chris

mike@engagemarketing
    • Total posts: 300
    Up

I use Hostess for the website hosting of three of my websites along with domain names. Although I haven’t had to transfer any domains with them i’ve found their customer service to be really good.

Melinda B
    Up

Well, I got an answer back today on how to access my domain – I can’t. Because when we sent in the transfer forms we didn’t request the account to be split – not that there’s anywhere on the forms that mentions this – my domain is still in the account of the previous owner. (luckily she’s really good)

So…. I’m attempting to transfer the domain over to where I hold my other .com.au domains. However it may not go through because there’s a restriction on moving domains within 60 days of reselling/moving etc. I’m waiting to find out if it applies in this case being that I just bought it.

If the come back and tell me it has to stay in the account of the previous owner for 60 days I’m going to be livid….

And thanks for the email address Chris!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.