Home Forums Tech talk Hosting abroad for domestic audience. Any effect on rank?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Someone is hosting their site in the USA or UK. The website is targeted and optimised in every other respect for an Australian audience. Would they experience any detrimental effect on SERP position, all other things being equal, compared with an Australian site on Aussie hosting?

kangaroojosh
    • Total posts: 64

From my experience, its only an “advantage factor” being hosted locally. Apart from that it is quite natural for a legit Australian business to host in the US because of the cost factor and options. Google local map verified business ,with Google Webmaster tools Geographical International Targeting set to Australia and relevant content, good link profile is all thats required to rank a local business. I have .com sites hosted in the USA ranking no.1 in Australian niche. Another option to get an edge is use cloud flare /railgun to use Melbourne / Sydney as your nearest geo.

PS: Having that said, I personally prefer hosting it in Australia.
    cheers
    Josh

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125

I’ve hosted many many sites in the US over the years as I found better hosting value and support there and can state there is no difference at all as long as your site serves up as quickly as the others.

The .com and hosting location does not come into it assuming you’ve used GWT to set your geo-preference. It’s why so many global companies go wherever they get the deals they are after, last I looked Facebook was in Ireland for example.

The .com.au TLD is automatically associated with Australia no matter where it is hosted.

Otherwise they can make some difference as Google has to guess the geographic preference and it then uses things like server location and TLD as two of the factors it bases those guesses on. The others being mentions of place names, use of language and spelling, currencies etc.

arrowwise
    • Total posts: 641

A high quality tier one web host in Australia should be able serve / deliver content to such visitors locally much faster than any web host overseas. For example part of Googles notion is to deliver the most relevant content to the visitor in the faster / user friendly way. Therefore one would expect (although many SEO gurus here would argue otherwise) that the location / speed of website in relation to location of the visitor should be a factor of consideration.

jtco
    • Total posts: 31

I actually wrote a very short post about this on Medium about a week ago. In short, my vote is definitely in the Google doesn’t care camp.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642

Aidan nailed it as usual…

If you have a com.au domain and your Webmaster Tools are set to target Aust searchers, there should be no problems.

With page load speed issues…

G has said frequently and recently that there is NO positive page load ranking signal. If your page takes a minute to load, you may get a ranking penalty. Google has said maybe 1% of web pages could be impacted by slow load speed.

Load speed is a very important usability issue but, while the pipe between Aust and overseas located servers may be slow, this is only one of many factors that impinge on page load speed.

It could be that a locally hosted website is slower for Aust users because it has a much higher demand on its resources at the time when Aust users access it.

An O/S hosted site could be faster because there may be very little demand on it because of the time zone difference.
    Regs,
    JohnW

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    JohnW, post: 222897, member: 6375 wrote:
    Load speed is a very important usability issue but, while the pipe between Aust and overseas located servers may be slow, this is only one of many factors that impinge on page load speed.

It could be that a locally hosted website is slower for Aust users because it has a much higher demand on its resources at the time when Aust users access it.

An O/S hosted site could be faster because there may be very little demand on it because of the time zone difference.
    Regs,
    JohnW

Plus the host in Australia could be the oldest server known to man kind running like a dog, where as the OS host could be the latest and greatest super computer. So although you are on a local host, the load speed could be degraded by the host itelsf.

GuestMember
    • Total posts: 318

Thank you all for your thoughts so far. Some interesting variables…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.