Home – New Forums Tech talk Hosting Location

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up
    ::

Quick question for any SEO masters out there, and one which I can only find conflicting information about.

Does the geographical location of your hosting make a difference?

I only ask because my private hosting is in the USA, where I found some very good rates for IIS/Windows hosting and it’s been very reliable for last few years.
    I put a friends’ holding page on there as a favour, and one of the web designers I work with mentioned that it was a bad idea because it wasn’t good for SEO.

I had thought the Google Webmaster tools, where you can set a country, would override this. Am I wrong?

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

No Hosting Geo. Does not Make Difference for SEO, we have lots of Clients with Go Daddy and their hosting r based in USA.

The only Difference is .com and .com.au

Otherwise SEO is Game of Keywords..

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Speed is the real key – as long as the speed is ok you can host wherever you like and use Google Webmaster Tools to set the target country.

This means you can use a .com just as easily as a .au by the way! The .au does not get an automatic boost in rankings over an equivalent .com provided you have used those GWT settings correctly.

JohnTranter
    • Total posts: 842
    Up

Thanks to both of you, that’s put my fears to rest. :)

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi John,
    I believe location is one of the most important ranking signals Google is now using in its algorithm.

Google is using all of these signals to assess location:

a. TLD (top level domain) – com.au, org.au, .net.au, etc.
    b. Country hosting your domain
    c. The location words used on web pages
    d. The location word text used on pages linking to your web page.
    e. Your Webmaster’s Tools Settings

What you must do is ensure that all of these signals are accurate and therefore collectively contribute to delivering the same information.

Regs,
    JohnW

Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

I agree with John W, hosting location appears to be part of the ranking algo (not as important as many other aspects). So good content, site authority and relevance overcome many sins as does lack of competitive pressure. But why run a race with one arm tied behind your back?

On five occasions I have moved sites from US based hosting to equivalent hosting in Australia. These sites were a mix of .com’s and .com.au’s and Google Webmasters already listed Geo as Aus. They have all moved in ranking from non-existing on google.com.au to page 1 in a few days for some keywords without other changes – not an empirical result …might be coincidence.

Shame really because Aussie hosting is so much more expensive (but still a trivial cost of website) than it is in Aus.

Speed of response should be better for Aus hosting for Aus audience and this us better experience for the user too…a positive side benefit.

Zava Design
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,463
    Up

Incorrect. Location does not matter. Go and test yourself in google.com.au, and see where actual site servers are based (IP address). It has no effect, what counts is content, sites linking to you …etc.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 127315 wrote:
    Incorrect. Location does not matter. Go and test yourself in google.com.au, and see where actual site servers are based (IP address). It has no effect, what counts is content, sites linking to you …etc.
    Hi,
    Here are 3 people from Google who seem to disagree with your statement.

Geotargeting
    https://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=62399
    “If no information is entered in Webmaster Tools, we’ll rely largely on the site’s country domain (.ca, .de, etc.). If an international domain (.com, .org, .eu, etc) has been used, we’ll rely on several signals, including IP address, location information on the page, links to the page, and any relevant information from Google Places.”

Can the geographic location of a web server affect SEO?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZa39808eto

Setting a geographic target for your site in Webmaster Tools
    http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=62399

There are some other discussions about the same topic on FS here:

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/search-engines-etc/18949-unraveling-google-feb-12-update.html

http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/search-engines-etc/18882-dot-com-dot-com-au.html

It seems like many SEOs in the forum may also disagree with the statement. :)

Regs,
    JohnW

relentless
    • Total posts: 137
    Up

Generally speaking I have found Australia hosting to be faster for myself, I’ve tried a variety of hosts on shared and VPS servers.

Why risk it just to save a few dollars? You need every advantage you can get on the web. I encourage all my clients to host in Aus.

If I’m targeting Australian traffic then I would host in Aus simply because it’s faster thus I can provide a better experience to my website visitors, it’s worth the extra dollars.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    JohnW, post: 127319 wrote:
    It seems like many SEOs in the forum may also disagree with the statement. :)
    They’re allowed too. However I’ve conducted my own research actually using Google & actual websites as my research tool, rather than go on what someone else says, and am pretty comfortable with my viewpoint.

And speed difference is minimal for majority of websites with today’s broadband speeds. The only type of sites it would make a difference with is with a heavy video orientated site. Had the unfortunate experience of having to bug test the performance issues of a breakfast TV show’s iPhone app, and it all came down to the videos being hosted in the US. And unfortunately I can’t mention what major video host company has that issue due to this forum’s rules, but PM me if you need to know.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

I’m most definitely in the camp that says it makes no difference as long as you use GWT properly for neutral domains and there is no problem with page load speed.

I’ve done this a great many times over the years and have never noticed a ranking boost just because a site was hosted in the target country. A glance at some random SERPs and the host countries of those listed seems to back that up.

I don’t see the sense in why that might ever be a ranking signal given the way hosts work.

:)

John Debrincat
    • Total posts: 963
    Up
    Zava Design, post: 127388 wrote:
    They’re allowed too. However I’ve conducted my own research actually using Google & actual websites as my research tool, rather than go on what someone else says, and am pretty comfortable with my viewpoint.

We also have done our own research and we have customers in both Australia and in the USA and I can tell you that it does make a difference where you host. If you travel at all and do some basic Google searches it becomes very obvious.

Zava Design, post: 127388 wrote:
    And speed difference is minimal for majority of websites with today’s broadband speeds.
    The last mile is the important part and Australia has some pretty bad connection speeds so compounding that with latency delays to the USA can make some sites load very slowly. If there was no issue with latency then companies like CloudFlare, Amazon and Akamai would not offer CDN services. But of course they do and their core deliverables are multiple POPs around the world to speed up delivery of content to website visitors.
    Divert To Mobile
    • Total posts: 2,751
    Up

My vote is that it makes no difference, Google is a leading search engine and wouldn’t / shouldn’t bias search results based on geographical server location.

Steve

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

The location of host server seems to affect ranking. This is evident when two people from two different countries google the same words but see slightly different results even if they are using google.com and not the localized site. I think the most plausible explanation is that the surfers’ ISP location is compared to the location of host servers of websites to be displayed ,so that domains hosted in the same region as the surfers’ ISP will get some advantage.

Zava Design
    Participant
    Up
    John Debrincat, post: 127404 wrote:
    We also have done our own research and we have customers in both Australia and in the USA and I can tell you that it does make a difference where you host. If you travel at all and do some basic Google searches it becomes very obvious.
    Well we can agree to disagree. As someone who has traveled extensively, and based themselves working online in around half a dozen different countries, I have seen no evidence of this.

Indeed, I just did a little 5 minute test via google.com.au, just to see if anything had changed (I did a test over a number of days a year or so ago), and the results were much as they had been previously: no real indication if IP affected rankings in the results returned by Google. Local domain name, yes. IP address seems to have minimal effect if any.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.