Home – New Forums Other discussions Opinion: Should businesses pay for air con for work from home staff?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Suze English
    • Total posts: 15
    Up
    ::

Hey Soloists! I found this opinion piece by Steve Glaveski very interesting this morning! What do you think? Should businesses foot the bill (or part of it) for air conditioning for their work from home employees?

With the number of remote staff rising in huge numbers in recent times, I can see how it benefits employers to ensure an optimal working environment for their staff who are working from home. Many are already aware of the need for good ergonomics in office equipment, and providing the right technical equipment to get the job done efficiently. But in the tough Aussie climate – where the summer heat can be stifling and the winters rather bitter – should we also be considering helping employees to pay for their air con bills and/or installation?

Steve says yes:

“Do employers, who are confronted with cost savings by decreasing their office footprint, owe it to their employees, and perhaps themselves, to cover the cost of domestic AC unit installation, maintenance and running costs – or at least a portion of it?.

“I personally think that employers should consider redistributing some of the cost savings to employees, in order to optimise their home working environments and get the best out of themselves.

“After all, doing so should serve to increase the performance of the organisation.”

I’d love to hear your thoughts, Soloists. Has home air con been a consideration for you and your team? Would your business even be able to afford it?

Read the full article on Flying Solo here:

Hot topic: Should businesses pay for air con for work from home staff?

Content Producer Flying Solo
    Ella-Walsh
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Interesting idea! In all the years I have worked from home, I have put these home office expenses against my income tax at the end of the financial year. But maybe it’s smarter to try to work something out with my employer that gives financial relief each quarter when I pay the power bill. Maybe something to discuss with my accountant.

timgundry
    Participant
    • Total posts: 7
    Up

A similar article here where Australian security expert, Scott Cairns, CEO of Secure Your World, explains that businesses are now at risk of litigation if they do not have adequate air quality practices in place to prevent the risk of COVID-19 transmission. You can read the full article here: https://www.kochiesbusinessbuilders.com.au/how-is-the-air-quality-in-your-business-it-better-be-good-or-you-risk-being-sued/

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.