Home – New Forums Tech talk How a real Google penalty hurts & how to remove it

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    ::

Hi Troops,
    This case study is a must read for anyone tempted to participate in link manipulation tactics.

It shows:

• The potential impact of a Google penalty on your website traffic
    • The complexity of remedial activities needed to remove a Google penalty
    • The benefits when the penalty is removed

A True Story: From A Triple Whammy Google Penalty To $60K/month Revenue

In most cases of course, G does not need to impose a manual penalty.

Anyone got any real Google penalty experiences to share?
    Regs
    JohnW

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

That’s a very interesting read John – thanks for posting it. (Even though I won’t pretend to understand all the technical details!)

Jayne

JohnW
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 152986 wrote:
    That’s a very interesting read John – thanks for posting it. (Even though I won’t pretend to understand all the technical details!)

Jayne
    Hi Jayne,
    FSs don’t need to be techies to understand the drop in company revenue resulting from the huge drop in SE referrals after the penalty. Nor the magnitude of the work needed to remedy the problem.

There can be huge costs to pay if people sign up for inappropriate link building schemes.

A better informed website owner will make better decisions about SEO services.
    Regs,
    JohnW.

Rick | Visible
    • Total posts: 37
    Up

Ross Hudgens has a nice case study about how WPMU recovered from the penguin update as well.

Josh
    Participant
    • Total posts: 45
    Up

REALLY nice share John, that was well worth the read.
    We’ve all heard from SEO cowboys “I can fix it”, but a real example is much more tangible!

Gotta be happy about Google penalising the obvious link manipulation.

JohnW
    Up
    Josh, post: 153082 wrote:
    REALLY nice share John, that was well worth the read.
    We’ve all heard from SEO cowboys “I can fix it”, but a real example is much more tangible!

Gotta be happy about Google penalising the obvious link manipulation.
    Hi Josh,
    About every 2 years from around 2003, Google has done a dump on whatever link building schemes became popular in the preceding years. In between is where many of the cowboys “made hay”. All we can do is keep bringing the issue to the attention of business owners…

Examples:

Cassandra — April 2003
    Google cracked down on some basic link-quality issues, such as massive linking from co-owned domains

Jagger — October 2005
    Google released a series of updates, mostly targeted at low-quality links, including reciprocal links, link farms, and paid links.

Universal Search — May 2007
    While not your typical algorithm update, Google integrated traditional search results with News, Video, Images, Local, and other verticals, dramatically changing their format.

Caffeine (Preview) — August 2009
    Google released a preview of a massive infrastructure change…

Panda/Farmer — February 23, 2011
    A major algorithm update hit sites hard… Panda seemed to crack down on thin content, content farms

Panda 3.3 (#11) — February 27, 2012
    This update decimated websites participating in “blog networks” and other link building schemes.

To website owners,
    A good question to put to a prospective SEO consultant is, “how long have you been offering SEO services?”

Experience is one of the critical attributes you should be comparing IMHO.

PS. There is no truth to the rumour that I’ve posted an artificially aged personal pic. :)
    Regs,
    JohnW

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

“PS. There is no truth to the rumour that I’ve posted an artificially aged personal pic” – and I thought you were just 21!

PS – Always love your posts!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.