Home – New Forums Tech talk How A Web Design Goes Straight To Hell

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up
    ::

Hi,

This is a very accurate (and only slightly satirical) examination of a normal web design process.

Anyone who had built a website for someone else will know that it’s true.

And anyone who had ever had a website built for them probably will probably be very offended, and say that this is the way it should be. :-)

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

Anyway, this is nothing new and totally explains a sign that I first saw in a local garage when I was a kid.

Hourly Rates:
    $25 per hour.
    $50 if you watch
    $100 if you help.

cheers,
    Eric G.

FionaFell
    • Total posts: 342
    Up

Love it, so very true.

Hourly Rates:
    $25 per hour.
    $50 if you watch
    $100 if you help.

Also works well with the ‘ICMMAPR’ (I changed my mind again penalty rate) and the ‘ICYITMOYHPR’ (I called you in the middle of your holiday penalty rate) also due for calls at 3am or in the middle of a concert, movie, romantic dinner.

Kidding, but sometimes it never hurts to have an ‘AFTERHOURS’ rate. Mine currently sits at 200% of my regular rate.

The Internet Bloke
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

Hi Fiona,
    Yes, I’ve had the 3am calls too from peopl ein the US who are somewhat timezone challenged.

Anyway – the hourly rates on which you commented were only part of the story.
    I originally forgot to put in the main link, which was the purpose of the post:
    http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell

I’m sure you’ll identify with that as well :-)

cheers,
    Eric G.

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Eric, that website is gold! Thank you so much for your post – it has given me a very fun lunch break :)

My favourite so far, and bound to be a hit with Gina, Hugh and the other writers around here: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/semicolon

Jayne (Still giggling!)

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

Thank you for sharing the link http://theoatmeal.com/comics/design_hell – absolutely loved (and related to) it! :)

Samith
    • Total posts: 187
    Up

What a post! I’m gonna tweet that, this is the reason big cats have a design warranty in place, we are too small to go there, ohh well…

Best Regards,
    Samith W.

logobird
    • Total posts: 22
    Up

Awesome post Eric. Still can’t stop laughing. So so true…

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

See this is why I am doing mine myself :P I know it won’t have quite the polished look that a seasoned web-designer could give me. But I also won’t be responsible for increasing the number of admissions to the looney-bin!!!

I’m thinking my decision-challenged control-freak status would not make for a good web-design client LOL :)

Anonymous
    • Total posts: 11,464
    Up

Linda, we don’t believe that you’re design-challenged. We’ve seen what you can do with a t-shirt! :)

Have a fun day,
    Jayne

Trish FCA
    • Total posts: 235
    Up

LMAO @ my owner is a retard.

You sure you guys in web design haven’t been sitting in on our Finance meetings coz that map looks nearly the same to me.

*Raises right hand, “I hearby pledge to never do all that crap to a web designer – so help me God.”

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

That’s awesome! Thanks for the links, no thanks for providing another method of procrastination…. LOL

SewSpunky
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    FS Concierge, post: 35399 wrote:
    Linda, we don’t believe that you’re design-challenged. We’ve seen what you can do with a t-shirt! :)

Have a fun day,
    Jayne

LOL! Cheers!! So perhaps if I start randomly throwing dye at the computer I might be on to a winner???

I definitely empathise with web-designers, graphic designers etc. You’re essentially paid to mind-read!

Samot
    • Total posts: 157
    Up

lol too true i love it

Chris Finnegan
    • Total posts: 85
    Up

Thanks for a good laugh, in reference to your comment “If you were an engineer designing….would they interfere, I wonder?”, my previous life was as a product development engineer. There you would get “that’s fantastic, now can we make it half the cost and half the size”.

A saying was:

you can have it work,
    you can have it cheap,
    you can have it fast.

Pick any two.

Cheers

Melinda B
    • Total posts: 349
    Up

And another in the same vein… Imagine you’re the designer and this is a client…. http://www.socialbootstrap.com/how-not-to-ask-for-help/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.