Home – New Forums Get productive How annoying is spam really?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    MailGuard
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    ::

I stumbled across a website the other day where a guy has got so pissed out with spammers that he has gone to extraordinary lengths to combat the offenders.

You can see how fuming he is and what he’s done here: http://ow.ly/bKorZ

[FS Concierge edit: link contains colourful language ;)]

But is this kind of frustration common or not?

I’d be keen to hear your thoughts….

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up

Meh, 99% of my spam is caught by Gmail, so it’s not so big of a deal.

I am more annoyed by people putting me on their newsletter without asking! GRRRR

MailGuard
    • Total posts: 6
    Up
    MatthewKeath, post: 120863 wrote:
    I am more annoyed by people putting me on their newsletter without asking! GRRRR

Yeah that’s an annoying one, just because you interact with someone doesn’t mean you opt in to a newsletter.

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    MailGuard, post: 120868 wrote:
    Yeah that’s an annoying one, just because you interact with someone doesn’t mean you opt in to a newsletter.Yeah agreed. How about joining their FB page? Or a linked in group!

On the subject of Spam, you reminded me to check my spam folder and one caught my eye ‘Are you tired of tedious meetings instead of ardent sex’! Cracked me up.

sourcewellbeing
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

The newsletter thing also irritates me! I’m ok if i get a single email offering me the chance to opt in to a regular e-newsletter but really dislike it when i’ve been to an event and that somehow permits the organisation to then keep sending me random other bits of correspondance. I have an opt in system for clients and wouldn’t dream of doing it any other way. I also love the FB ‘like’ system so you can choose to follow or not.

As for other spam … so far it’s not a huge drama for me. I check my emails a couple of times a day and rapidly delete things or ‘junk’ them and that seems to keep the inbox under control.

Jo

MatthewKeath, post: 120863 wrote:
    Meh, 99% of my spam is caught by Gmail, so it’s not so big of a deal.

BarefootMaternity
    • Total posts: 99
    Up

It’s unsolicited calls that annoy me the most – the interruption really bugs me. Spam emails are annoying too, but at least I get to deal with them in my own time!

sourcewellbeing
    • Total posts: 35
    Up

I agree. I was actually thinking that when i posted! I get random phone calls usually selling advertising and i do find them more invasive.

Jo

BarefootMaternity, post: 120909 wrote:
    It’s unsolicited calls that annoy me the most – the interruption really bugs me. Spam emails are annoying too, but at least I get to deal with them in my own time!
    AgentMail
    • Total posts: 1,741
    Up

I hate Spam – I cannot ignore it when GMail has (1) next to my spam, I have to go and delete it!

gen Y advantage
    • Total posts: 63
    Up

I get so much spam everyday, not only by email – but also telemarketing – they just seem to get more and more clever!

This is why I turn off twitter notifications and visibility of my email address and phone number wherever I can. I also use webforms on my website instead of showing the email address. It has helped reduce the spam, however it can’t help all the super bots (something rather) that are designed to trawl through the net and mine people’s data to sell.

Guess it’s something we have to deal with as business owners.

Shaukat Adam Khalid
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,528
    Up

keep it simple. use a fake email address. i have 13 of them. :D

JacquiPryor
    • Total posts: 2,344
    Up

I don’t get a huge amount of ‘spam spam’ type emails, most is caught before I ever see it.

I do get a lot of emails offering to help me with website SEO etc… and, that was certainly starting to bug me. They even send follow up emails now when I haven’t responded to the first attempt… delete, delete, delete. But – since Seocourse’s thread earlier this year – I am less frustrated with these… for those that didn’t see it at the time, worth a look – makes you far more appreciative of the effort overseas SEO professionals are going to just to get some business! ;)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.