Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How are you doing social media?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1212977
    Tim Ahern
    Member
    • Total posts: 16
    Up
    0
    ::

    I am about to try tribegroup.co which is a marketplace for you the business to link up with social influencers. The idea is you write a brief about your business and any particular product or website you are pushing, which posted to the social influencers in your niche. They offer you a post on their social pages for a fee. Bids will range according the amount of folllowers. LIke I said I am about to try it so I don’t know about the ROI yet, but you can spend as much as you like. I’m just going to start with one infulencer posting first and see what happens.
    You can then share their post on your own feed.
    Facebook. instagram and twitter

    #1212978
    ContentGuru
    Member
    • Total posts: 1
    Up
    0
    ::
    FXM, post: 254480, member: 101969 wrote:
    because I paid a lot of money for no result, worse than my newspaper advertisements. Is there a better way? no SEO please, tried and done that, no results.

    No offence trying to be made here, but SEO can work when done right. The problem is finding someone who doesn’t just say they know about SEO, but they can actually prove it.

    Maybe if you do try again, ask for some sample production or examples of companies they have worked with previously. testimonials are a good start…

    #1212979
    Hassle Free Website
    Member
    • Total posts: 108
    Up
    0
    ::
    FXM, post: 254478, member: 101969 wrote:
    Ugly!!!!!!! We did some facebook some time back, all they did was posting and boosting the post. After 6 months, we had to stop.

    Did the company explain what they were trying to achieve by doing this and how it would return results?

    #1212980
    karensaid
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::

    Social Media as a means for generating traffic to your site or new customers, and some, works.

    As others have said earlier, it is a lot of work, time and money dependent on which SM platform you’re using or intending to.

    Each platform requires you approach it differently, likewise your ads on each, and content sharing methods, on each.

    FB is by far the biggest. Mammoth. No surprises. Powerful and valuable, when you know what your doing. Granular and specific in terms of targeting.

    I know it sounds pretty useless, when you don’t know but want to know about FB Ads, but putting it out there anyway.

    The thing about FB, is that the marketing goal posts are moving more frequently. Reach on your FB Business Pages, is becoming LESS because they want your ADSPEND.

    What you post on your FB-pages won’t and doesn’t necessarily reach your audience. They want you to spend.

    Adspend on FB is only going to become more expensive. Only but 12 months ago, it was incredible, fun [actually] and easily more profitable.

    FB is changing and fast. That should be no surprise and I wouldn’t get intimidated or fearful, if it’s a hard fought return on investment you want, you will get it on FB.

    FB has more consumer data than any other platform including google. Driven by audiences not search. There are advantages to this.

    Knowing how to do FB ads or social media marketing for whatever purpose, takes a serious amount of focus to learn the process OF the moment because it’s changing, all the time.

    I’d be here forever explaining further. But the basic strategy:

    You’ll spend money upfront to gather necessary data from your FB ads. You won’t make anything upfront, be glad to break even. The money [customer retention period] is made at the end dependent on your funnel or sales process steps.

    Best to create multiple ADS, know your marketing objective, split test, monitor, OPTIMIZE.

    Then tweak, then scale it or kill the campaigns not performing. There are metrics that will reveal this for you.

    It can indeed be high quality leads that convert, but you need to drill down via your FB ADS to get this. Makes sense.

    I think we all know here, you can’t just bash away at an FB AD.

    Briefly YouTube is going to be [my opinion] the dominating SM Platform. It’s so incredible what people are actually doing on their branded YT Channels. Most may not want to be in front of a camera, but you don’t have to be. There are multiple ways around this.

    It’s Free to promote on such an awesome viral geared, shareable platform. I know not free [free] your time costs. But YT is going to be more awesome than it is already.

    You can make money on your channel, but it takes hundreds of thousands of views for an amount you can write home about.

    Pinterest is great. Be mindful, its mostly all female. Time consuming but you can still generate good traffic from this platform.

    They are rolling out Pinterest new idea ADS. I don’t have much info on that yet. But certainly something to watch out for.

    If you want to get creative with Pinterest for your business using imagery, you can fancy it up using a site called canva.com Free sign up level is all you’re going to need.

    Twitter has different performance stats. I don’t like it personally and low quality prospects in my opinion. Everyone is in “hustle mode”. To me its awfully spammy. But it maybe different for others. :)

    If you were curious enthusiastic to try any SM Platform for your business, just use google to search adding “case study” on the end of your query.

    #1212981
    karensaid
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::
    Jimmy Jar, post: 255489, member: 104008 wrote:
    For me personally, its better to use nowadays technologies to cooperate with social media. Targeting programs and bots can do all the “dirty work” for you and boost your account in general.
    Me and a friend of mine usually deal with decorative and decorative stuff and promote it through instagram – visualization is the key in this business and it also popular among the girls
    https://zen-promo.com/view_likes_on_instagram.
    Anyway, you should also try LinkID and facebook special services. They are not so expensive and could improve your income.
    Good luck to you!

    Instagram [any SM platform] hates automation and it goes directly against their terms of use. Offering followers and engagement on automation?! Popularity by numbers? ugh By value to your market, by awesome content, way better. Stay away from automation. Just saying.

    #1212982
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::

    Hi Karen Said,
    Good comments.

    Two topics to add to the discussion:

    • Are “social media marketing services” really trained in marketing?
    • Social media are a range of communications channels. What channel, if any is best for your specific business comms objectives?

    IMHO, we are being hyped by often marketing illiterate folk into thinking we must implement social media programs without any thought as to who are the audience and what you expect them to do.

    Here are a couple of videos by Prof Paul Ritson from the Melbourne Business School. He is asked to present about digital marketing all around the world.

    Mar 2018: Mark Ritson on what does and doesn’t matter in marketing
    Check out the 9 min 25 sec point where he dissects a list of the 24 marketers someone said should be followed on Twitter. It seems only 4 actually had any marketing training.

    (NB. Be warned, Ritson has a colourful turn of phrase.)

    Jan 2015: Ritson vs Social Media
    “On which planet does a tweet at the right time beat traditional, beautifully executed video ads?” Asks Mark Ritson, associate professor of marketing and branding expert at Melbourne Business School.

    Before you spend any money on social media marketing, I strongly recommend you watch these videos.

    They have the added value of being a presentation by a Prof of marketing at the Melbourne School of Business and he cites many Australian brand social media statistics.

    I like the reference to NAB employing 16 people to support 17 followers at the time…

    Prof Ritson castrates the social media hype out of online communications!

    #1212983
    karensaid
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::

    Gosh [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    I’ll need to respond to this respectfully with you in mind as a Renowned member, and myself, a new fly on the wall in this forum so to speak. :)

    I’m going to call BS on Prof Mark Ritson, he’s wrong [in my opinion].

    Are “social media marketing services” really trained in marketing?

    There is NO University on the planet that EFFECTIVELY [in an updated current manner] teaches or can teach, train, whichever – in “ONLINE MARKETING” but instead, can and does so, with his words “traditional marketing”.

    The 2 are DIFFERENT yet in some aspects, the same.

    The later (Digital) obviously changes and challenges everything we know or are aware of in regards to traditional marketing. Resistance breeds.

    Inevitably, both crossover one another in a MORE Digital Landscape way of marketing that we are experiencing.

    They must merge and in MANY business case studies today, have done successfully over and over.

    Other times, the marriage of the two, due to poor execution, due to poor strategy, due to poor understanding: is a complete failure.

    This has been the scenario, BECAUSE of this kind of resistant and archaic thinking. [Referring to Prof Ritson not you JohnW ]

    You cannot be trained in EFFECTIVE DIGITAL MARKETING by going to a University or College because they have NO CLUE “HOW” to teach this.

    Online Marketing changes ALL THE TIME. What works today, wont in 6 months’ or whatever time period evolves for that marketing strategy effectiveness to become ineffective!

    You’d be updating ‘curriculum” ridiculously non-stop. Nothing is static.

    Is it impossible to learn how to learn effective online marketing strategies?

    Of course not. The proof is everywhere.


    Social media are a range of communications channels. What channel, if any is best for your specific business comms objectives?

    This is endless John; there are millions of case studies proving SM works. There are specific processes to identify which SM channel best fits your business. There is not one process tho, stick with simple. This is often a process that is made unnecessarily complicated.



    IMHO, we are being hyped by often marketing illiterate folk into thinking we must implement social media programs without any thought as to who are the audience and what you expect them to do.

    Mar 2018: Mark Ritson on what does and doesn’t matter in marketing

    Check out the 9 min 25 sec point where he dissects a list of the 24 marketers someone said should be followed on Twitter. It seems only 4 actually had any marketing training.


    The Marketers Prof.Ritson identifies in his slide, NONE are marketing illiterate folk. None. He hasn’t done his homework at all.

    [On the 9 min 25 sec]

    I know them all, have learnt from them all, and outperformed big Social Media Marketing Agencies with individuals who DO hold “Marketing Degrees” over and over. I am not alone on that.

    There are thousands of Freelancers or partnerships that know how marketing works online, [combined fractionally with traditional].

    None have ANY conventional Marketing training.

    We are living in a DIFFERENT time now, and superior information to learn better faster more effectively, is EVERYWHERE.

    Online courses will see the decline of University/College offerings. You just need to check out sites like Lynda.com, that is a trend period.

    Hype is going nowhere. Pre: the “digital age”, it was “hustle”. It’s all part of some level of sales psychology good or bad.

    At the end of the day, we’re not babies, we can work it out. And if it’s hard to do so, then we work harder at it to figure out WHAT WILL WORK.

    I get it, so many business owners rely on Agencies and Freelancers for this work if they don’t wish to implement themselves. But you will get good with the bad, it doesn’t mean the industry as a whole, is rubbish, it isn’t Prof.Ritson.

    You can align that analogy with other industries – plumbers, lawyers, real estate agents…whatever.

    If you cannot afford an Agency or Freelancer, then you will need to learn it or a portion of the necessary basics.

    As a consumer, everyone is free to choose who to learn from, execute action the learning, and monitor the results both poor and insanely great!

    I have had NO “Marketing Training” in any University or Educational system, as he puts it, ever. My university as been online education through the very people, he kinda disses…

    You just need to Google their names to find out who they REALLY are. There’s totally transparency in search.

    Here are 3 anyway and this is all relevant to the main thread of Social Media:

    Perry Marshall: The most knowledgeable human being regarding Google Adwords and PPC – ON THE PLANET. Bestselling Author, thousands of authentic reviews.

    Amy Porterfield: Facebook Branding extraordinaire (my words for her). WORKED FOR Tony Robbins before branching out. When it comes to branding businesses on FB, she rocks it!

    And I am truly hoping, most on this forum have heard of Gary Vaynerchuk. This man is the man! Millions upon millions of organic subscribers.

    The proof is in the audience numbers. They will tell you if you suck! or not…

    Best selling author, his Social Media books are a must read. Below is a YouTube videos when he was in Brisbane. Key note speaker. Word was everyone was there to hear Gary speak. No surprise.

    The kicker: He was a traditional business owner. His roots started there!

    BRISBANE 2017 SOLD OUT AS USUAL

    426,491 YT VIEWS

    713 COMMENTS (incredible engagement)

    You CANNOT FAKE THIS DATA

    webicon_green.png[MEDIA=youtube]W5Yst1Si3fw[/MEDIA]

    Gary Vaynerchuck Above Video


    Here are a couple of videos by Prof Mark Ritson from the Melbourne Business School. He is asked to present about digital marketing all around the world.

    Respectfully John, it doesn’t matter if he presents on Mars. The world does not care, except the effectiveness of his content delivery. The VALUE of this content, and the results once action-ed, from it. Likewise, all the persons mentioned above.

    The SAME rules apply.



    Jan 2015: Ritson vs Social Media video



    I seriously didn’t bother John, 3 years later it’s too old already.



    “On which planet does a tweet at the right time beat traditional, beautifully executed video ads?” Asks Mark Ritson, associate professor of marketing and branding expert at Melbourne Business School.



    My daughter @28 replies ”I would mum, is faster, hello?!”

    Maybe it’s generational, I don’t know. Twitter is not my favorite SM Platform but guess what? No one cares.

    336 Million Users, don’t care. If it’s your SM platform to use……use it.

    If it’s not, and your like me, don’t use it. It still converts. Whether good or bad is clearly dependent on strategy.



    I’m going to put it out there because I read too much of it and people hesitate to take action or completely overthink it.

    There is too much focus on the negative aspect of online marketing. [not saying you [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] ]

    I understand people have being burnt before, I get it, I was one! I understand it’s hard to believe one from the other.

    But if you aren’t prepared to learn more about how this all works, then it’s going to be a massive struggle with those who do learn.

    [You will either need to outsource this, or hire any Agency or potentially, just do nothing.]

    Just learn and take imperfect action moving forward.

    Thanks [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    :)

    #1212984
    Johny
    Member
    • Total posts: 840
    Up
    0
    ::

    John, Mark Ritson is always good for a look.

    I must admit, when I look at his video on social media, it makes me start to think about how social media in Australia compares to that of China, which is probably more in my line of work, and in many ways more advanced than in Australia in terms of how it is intertwined into society.

    When I think of places like Wechat for example, they have a whole ecosystem which encompasses everything from chatting, advertising, to referring to buying to paying, most of the various channels also owned by them.

    Not sure I am happy to see a situation where all the eggs are in one basket, but wonder if this isn’t how it is headed in each market going forward. Amazon may be a similar type of thing, but nowhere to the extend of the guys in China.

    #1212985
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    karensaid, post: 259774, member: 110616 wrote:
    Gosh [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    I’ll need to respond to this respectfully with you in mind as a Renowned member, and myself, a new fly on the wall in this forum so to speak. :)

    I’m going to call BS on Prof Mark Ritson, he’s wrong [in my opinion].

    Are “social media marketing services” really trained in marketing?

    There is NO University on the planet that EFFECTIVELY [in an updated current manner] teaches or can teach, train, whichever – in “ONLINE MARKETING” but instead, can and does so, with his words “traditional marketing”.

    The 2 are DIFFERENT yet in some aspects, the same.

    The later (Digital) obviously changes and challenges everything we know or are aware of in regards to traditional marketing. Resistance breeds.

    Inevitably, both crossover one another in a MORE Digital Landscape way of marketing that we are experiencing.

    They must merge and in MANY business case studies today, have done successfully over and over.

    Other times, the marriage of the two, due to poor execution, due to poor strategy, due to poor understanding: is a complete failure.

    This has been the scenario, BECAUSE of this kind of resistant and archaic thinking. [Referring to Prof Ritson not you JohnW ]

    You cannot be trained in EFFECTIVE DIGITAL MARKETING by going to a University or College because they have NO CLUE “HOW” to teach this.

    Online Marketing changes ALL THE TIME. What works today, wont in 6 months’ or whatever time period evolves for that marketing strategy effectiveness to become ineffective!

    You’d be updating ‘curriculum” ridiculously non-stop. Nothing is static.

    Is it impossible to learn how to learn effective online marketing strategies?

    Of course not. The proof is everywhere.


    Social media are a range of communications channels. What channel, if any is best for your specific business comms objectives?

    This is endless John; there are millions of case studies proving SM works. There are specific processes to identify which SM channel best fits your business. There is not one process tho, stick with simple. This is often a process that is made unnecessarily complicated.



    IMHO, we are being hyped by often marketing illiterate folk into thinking we must implement social media programs without any thought as to who are the audience and what you expect them to do.

    Mar 2018: Mark Ritson on what does and doesn’t matter in marketing

    Check out the 9 min 25 sec point where he dissects a list of the 24 marketers someone said should be followed on Twitter. It seems only 4 actually had any marketing training.


    The Marketers Prof.Ritson identifies in his slide, NONE are marketing illiterate folk. None. He hasn’t done his homework at all.

    [On the 9 min 25 sec]

    I know them all, have learnt from them all, and outperformed big Social Media Marketing Agencies with individuals who DO hold “Marketing Degrees” over and over. I am not alone on that.

    There are thousands of Freelancers or partnerships that know how marketing works online, [combined fractionally with traditional].

    None have ANY conventional Marketing training.

    We are living in a DIFFERENT time now, and superior information to learn better faster more effectively, is EVERYWHERE.

    Online courses will see the decline of University/College offerings. You just need to check out sites like Lynda.com, that is a trend period.

    Hype is going nowhere. Pre: the “digital age”, it was “hustle”. It’s all part of some level of sales psychology good or bad.

    At the end of the day, we’re not babies, we can work it out. And if it’s hard to do so, then we work harder at it to figure out WHAT WILL WORK.

    I get it, so many business owners rely on Agencies and Freelancers for this work if they don’t wish to implement themselves. But you will get good with the bad, it doesn’t mean the industry as a whole, is rubbish, it isn’t Prof.Ritson.

    You can align that analogy with other industries – plumbers, lawyers, real estate agents…whatever.

    If you cannot afford an Agency or Freelancer, then you will need to learn it or a portion of the necessary basics.

    As a consumer, everyone is free to choose who to learn from, execute action the learning, and monitor the results both poor and insanely great!

    I have had NO “Marketing Training” in any University or Educational system, as he puts it, ever. My university as been online education through the very people, he kinda disses…

    You just need to Google their names to find out who they REALLY are. There’s totally transparency in search.

    Here are 3 anyway and this is all relevant to the main thread of Social Media:

    Perry Marshall: The most knowledgeable human being regarding Google Adwords and PPC – ON THE PLANET. Bestselling Author, thousands of authentic reviews.

    Amy Porterfield: Facebook Branding extraordinaire (my words for her). WORKED FOR Tony Robbins before branching out. When it comes to branding businesses on FB, she rocks it!

    And I am truly hoping, most on this forum have heard of Gary Vaynerchuk. This man is the man! Millions upon millions of organic subscribers.

    The proof is in the audience numbers. They will tell you if you suck! or not…

    Best selling author, his Social Media books are a must read. Below is a YouTube videos when he was in Brisbane. Key note speaker. Word was everyone was there to hear Gary speak. No surprise.

    The kicker: He was a traditional business owner. His roots started there!

    BRISBANE 2017 SOLD OUT AS USUAL

    426,491 YT VIEWS

    713 COMMENTS (incredible engagement)

    You CANNOT FAKE THIS DATA

    webicon_green.png[MEDIA=youtube]W5Yst1Si3fw[/MEDIA]

    Gary Vaynerchuck Above Video


    Here are a couple of videos by Prof Mark Ritson from the Melbourne Business School. He is asked to present about digital marketing all around the world.

    Respectfully John, it doesn’t matter if he presents on Mars. The world does not care, except the effectiveness of his content delivery. The VALUE of this content, and the results once action-ed, from it. Likewise, all the persons mentioned above.

    The SAME rules apply.



    Jan 2015: Ritson vs Social Media video



    I seriously didn’t bother John, 3 years later it’s too old already.



    “On which planet does a tweet at the right time beat traditional, beautifully executed video ads?” Asks Mark Ritson, associate professor of marketing and branding expert at Melbourne Business School.



    My daughter @28 replies ”I would mum, is faster, hello?!”

    Maybe it’s generational, I don’t know. Twitter is not my favorite SM Platform but guess what? No one cares.

    336 Million Users, don’t care. If it’s your SM platform to use……use it.

    If it’s not, and your like me, don’t use it. It still converts. Whether good or bad is clearly dependent on strategy.



    I’m going to put it out there because I read too much of it and people hesitate to take action or completely overthink it.

    There is too much focus on the negative aspect of online marketing. [not saying you [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] ]

    I understand people have being burnt before, I get it, I was one! I understand it’s hard to believe one from the other.

    But if you aren’t prepared to learn more about how this all works, then it’s going to be a massive struggle with those who do learn.

    [You will either need to outsource this, or hire any Agency or potentially, just do nothing.]

    Just learn and take imperfect action moving forward.

    Thanks [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    :)

    [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] I always thought you had the longest posts on FS, I think you have lost the title

    #1212986
    karensaid
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::

    Good God [USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] I know, I need to keep them shorter! I’ll do better next time.

    #1212987
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    karensaid, post: 259774, member: 110616 wrote:
    Gosh [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    I’ll need to respond to this respectfully with you in mind as a Renowned member, and myself, a new fly on the wall in this forum so to speak. :)

    I’m going to call BS on Prof Mark Ritson, he’s wrong [in my opinion].

    Are “social media marketing services” really trained in marketing?

    There is NO University on the planet that EFFECTIVELY [in an updated current manner] teaches or can teach, train, whichever – in “ONLINE MARKETING” but instead, can and does so, with his words “traditional marketing”.

    The 2 are DIFFERENT yet in some aspects, the same.

    The later (Digital) obviously changes and challenges everything we know or are aware of in regards to traditional marketing. Resistance breeds.

    Inevitably, both crossover one another in a MORE Digital Landscape way of marketing that we are experiencing.

    They must merge and in MANY business case studies today, have done successfully over and over.

    Other times, the marriage of the two, due to poor execution, due to poor strategy, due to poor understanding: is a complete failure.

    This has been the scenario, BECAUSE of this kind of resistant and archaic thinking. [Referring to Prof Ritson not you JohnW ]

    You cannot be trained in EFFECTIVE DIGITAL MARKETING by going to a University or College because they have NO CLUE “HOW” to teach this.

    Online Marketing changes ALL THE TIME. What works today, wont in 6 months’ or whatever time period evolves for that marketing strategy effectiveness to become ineffective!

    You’d be updating ‘curriculum” ridiculously non-stop. Nothing is static.

    Is it impossible to learn how to learn effective online marketing strategies?

    Of course not. The proof is everywhere.


    Social media are a range of communications channels. What channel, if any is best for your specific business comms objectives?

    This is endless John; there are millions of case studies proving SM works. There are specific processes to identify which SM channel best fits your business. There is not one process tho, stick with simple. This is often a process that is made unnecessarily complicated.



    IMHO, we are being hyped by often marketing illiterate folk into thinking we must implement social media programs without any thought as to who are the audience and what you expect them to do.

    Mar 2018: Mark Ritson on what does and doesn’t matter in marketing

    Check out the 9 min 25 sec point where he dissects a list of the 24 marketers someone said should be followed on Twitter. It seems only 4 actually had any marketing training.


    The Marketers Prof.Ritson identifies in his slide, NONE are marketing illiterate folk. None. He hasn’t done his homework at all.

    [On the 9 min 25 sec]

    I know them all, have learnt from them all, and outperformed big Social Media Marketing Agencies with individuals who DO hold “Marketing Degrees” over and over. I am not alone on that.

    There are thousands of Freelancers or partnerships that know how marketing works online, [combined fractionally with traditional].

    None have ANY conventional Marketing training.

    We are living in a DIFFERENT time now, and superior information to learn better faster more effectively, is EVERYWHERE.

    Online courses will see the decline of University/College offerings. You just need to check out sites like Lynda.com, that is a trend period.

    Hype is going nowhere. Pre: the “digital age”, it was “hustle”. It’s all part of some level of sales psychology good or bad.

    At the end of the day, we’re not babies, we can work it out. And if it’s hard to do so, then we work harder at it to figure out WHAT WILL WORK.

    I get it, so many business owners rely on Agencies and Freelancers for this work if they don’t wish to implement themselves. But you will get good with the bad, it doesn’t mean the industry as a whole, is rubbish, it isn’t Prof.Ritson.

    You can align that analogy with other industries – plumbers, lawyers, real estate agents…whatever.

    If you cannot afford an Agency or Freelancer, then you will need to learn it or a portion of the necessary basics.

    As a consumer, everyone is free to choose who to learn from, execute action the learning, and monitor the results both poor and insanely great!

    I have had NO “Marketing Training” in any University or Educational system, as he puts it, ever. My university as been online education through the very people, he kinda disses…

    You just need to Google their names to find out who they REALLY are. There’s totally transparency in search.

    Here are 3 anyway and this is all relevant to the main thread of Social Media:

    Perry Marshall: The most knowledgeable human being regarding Google Adwords and PPC – ON THE PLANET. Bestselling Author, thousands of authentic reviews.

    Amy Porterfield: Facebook Branding extraordinaire (my words for her). WORKED FOR Tony Robbins before branching out. When it comes to branding businesses on FB, she rocks it!

    And I am truly hoping, most on this forum have heard of Gary Vaynerchuk. This man is the man! Millions upon millions of organic subscribers.

    [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER]

    :)
    Hi Karen,
    Don’t be misled into believing something I may not be based on an FS classification. All that means is I’ve hung around here for a few years and shot off a bunch of posts. That is the same trap tripped by the author who wrote the list of 24 Internet marketers discussed by Ritson.

    It seems the most common cause of any difference of opinion is confusion over terminology.

    It seems ours is over the word “marketing”. To me, marketing is the total discipline involved in the most efficient delivery of products/services to the target market.

    To me, all the “digital”, “social”, “content”, “PPC” etc. “marketing” terms are buzzwords that have evolved since the late 1990’s. It seems everyone who wants to take up some web attention time dreams up a new one. Now I’m seeing “technical SEO”, voice search marketing” – I don’t think it will ever end.

    Call me a cynic but it seems to me many generic search marketers, PPC marketers, social media marketers are only experienced in using a tool or page publishing process to deliver hypertext links or ads on a specific platform.

    I agree there can never be a formal teriary course in these marketing buzzwords because:

    • The ciriculum will be out of date before the course can be completed.
    • The social medium may have fallen out of use before the course is completed. (Anyone remember My Space. It had 1,600 employees at one stage. What happened to G+, Foursquare, Pokemon Go?)
    • The social medium and search platform algo will have changed multiple times
    • No course supplier will know the details of the platform algo and changes.

    To a marketer, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. would be considered communication channels.

    Each changing its technology frequently, each with changing audience demographics and with different communication delivery capabilities.

    That means all these changes are constantly moving the individual property’s performance goal posts and these need to be monitored closely.

    Let me bring this conversation back to Facebook, the subject of the OP.

    I am NOT against using Facebook as an online communication channel but it is not an all purpose panacea.

    As we can see from the comments in the thread, many are disappointed with results.

    To improve things, business owners are advised to acquire a general awareness of issues like:

    • What sort of businesses do best on Facebook?
    • Facebook is losing its younger audience at an alarming rate. Is it the best channel for your demograhic?
    • Facebook business pages have lost many followers in the last few years. Why?
    • Why do potential and existing clients “follow” and “unfollow” a Facebook business page?
    • Can businesses obtain useful Facebook measurements?

    I’ll put together some articles on these issues.

    #1212988
    JohnW
    Member
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 259960, member: 6375 wrote:
    Hi Karen,
    I’ll put together some articles on these issues.
    For FS who want some more in-depth info on the various communication channels here are a few references. (NB. Always check the date of articles on this topic as changes can occur very fast.)

    1. Facebook algorithm changes

    Fb changes that hit generic business page’s traffic began around 2012.

    May 2018: The Decline of Organic Facebook Reach
    “If you’ve been managing a Facebook Business Page over the past few years, you’ve likely noticed a drop in how many of your fans have been viewing and interacting with the organic posts”

    Undated: How To Overcome The Facebook Changes For Your Business
    “Facebook have been warning that this is going to happen for a long time and we have seen organic reach dropping significantly over the last couple of years. The signs have been there for a long time that if you want to reach potential customers on Facebook, you need to ‘Pay To Play’”

    This article includes a chart that shows organic reach for Facebook business pages has declined around 78% from 2012 to 2016.

    2. Why do people follow brands?

    May 2018: Why do all Digital Consumers Follow Brands on Social Media?

    Interested in their product/service = 73.4%
    Interested in promotions = 58.8%
    Offer an incentive = 42.2%

    Every Facebook survey on why people follow brands has reported similar numbers from the beginning.

    These data suggests a communication channel better suited to repeat or existing customer communication.

    3. Is there a difference in Facebook interactions for different industries?

    Yes, and it seems to be huge.

    Apr 2018: Facebook Ad Benchmarks for YOUR Industry [New Data]
    This Wordstream article is about Facebook ads. It assesses 17 different industries and reports results where Fb CTR ads fluctuate more than three-fold.

    It also reports the “average cost per action” of Fb ads.

    “The average cost per action (CPA) for Facebook ads across all industries is $18.68.”

    “While Facebook may be a great place to find your new students, it can be an expensive place to find a new car, architect, or IT specialist – average Facebook CPAs for auto, home improvement, and technology services are $43.84, $44.66, and $55.21, respectively.”

    There is a seven-fold difference in CPA across the industries reported.

    4. What causes “un-follows”?

    There are a bunch of surveys that report how many and why people stop following Facebook business pages when the business stops offering incentives, coupons, discounts or specials.

    Dec 2014: Facebook Inc. (FB) Has A High Percentage Of People ‘Unliking’ Or ‘Unfollowing’ Brand Pages Than Twitter Or Google+ [STUDY]

    5. How do you measure Facebook results?

    It seems many businesses with $multi-million marketing budgets still can’t quantitatively measure Fb/social media results.

    Feb 2018: The CMO Survey
    Slide 56 from the survey: Which best describes the impact of social media on your business:

    Unable to show the impact yet = 34.4%
    A good qualitative sense but not a quantitative impact = 42.3%
    Total = 76.7% still can’t measure an ROI for social media.

    Let me repeat…

    I am NOT anti-Facebook or any other social media communications channel. I am anti-those who claim marketing “buzzword” expertise when they have little or none. (Not you Karen Said.)

    Let me reply to the other part of your post (about Gary Vaynerchuk) separately.

    (Hey Bert, Did I get back my “longest posts title” from Karen?) :)

    #1212989
    bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 259961, member: 6375 wrote:
    (Hey Bert, Did I get back my “longest posts title” from Karen?) :)

    :):):):):)

    #1212990
    karensaid
    Member
    • Total posts: 78
    Up
    0
    ::
    JohnW, post: 259961, member: 6375 wrote:
    For FS who want some more in-depth info on the various communication channels here are a few references. (NB. Always check the date of articles on this topic as changes can occur very fast.)

    1. Facebook algorithm changes

    Fb changes that hit generic business page’s traffic began around 2015.

    May 2018: The Decline of Organic Facebook Reach
    “If you’ve been managing a Facebook Business Page over the past few years, you’ve likely noticed a drop in how many of your fans have been viewing and interacting with the organic posts”

    Undated: How To Overcome The Facebook Changes For Your Business
    “Facebook have been warning that this is going to happen for a long time and we have seen organic reach dropping significantly over the last couple of years. The signs have been there for a long time that if you want to reach potential customers on Facebook, you need to ‘Pay To Play’”

    This article includes a chart that shows organic reach for Facebook business pages has declined around 78% from 2012 to 2016.

    2. Why do people follow brands?

    May 2018: Why do all Digital Consumers Follow Brands on Social Media?

    Interested in their product/service = 73.4%
    Interested in promotions = 58.8%
    Offer an incentive = 42.2%

    Every Facebook survey on why people follow brands has reported similar numbers from the beginning.

    These data suggests a communication channel better suited to repeat or existing customer communication.

    3. Is there a difference in Facebook interactions for different industries?

    Yes, and it seems to be huge.

    Apr 2018: Facebook Ad Benchmarks for YOUR Industry [New Data]
    This Wordstream article is about Facebook ads. It assesses 17 different industries and reports results where Fb CTR ads fluctuate more than three-fold.

    It also reports the “average cost per action” of Fb ads.

    “The average cost per action (CPA) for Facebook ads across all industries is $18.68.”

    “While Facebook may be a great place to find your new students, it can be an expensive place to find a new car, architect, or IT specialist – average Facebook CPAs for auto, home improvement, and technology services are $43.84, $44.66, and $55.21, respectively.”

    There is a seven-fold difference in CPA across the industries reported.

    4. What causes “un-follows”?

    There are a bunch of surveys that report how many and why people stop following Facebook business pages when the business stops offering incentives, coupons, discounts or specials.

    Dec 2014: Facebook Inc. (FB) Has A High Percentage Of People ‘Unliking’ Or ‘Unfollowing’ Brand Pages Than Twitter Or Google+ [STUDY]

    5. How do you measure Facebook results?

    It seems many businesses with $multi-million marketing budgets still can’t quantitatively measure Fb/social media results.

    Feb 2018: The CMO Survey
    Slide 56 from the survey: Which best describes the impact of social media on your business:

    Unable to show the impact yet = 34.4%
    A good qualitative sense but not a quantitative impact = 42.3%
    Total = 76.7% still can’t measure an ROI for social media.

    Let me repeat…

    I am NOT anti-Facebook or any other social media communications channel. I am anti-those who claim marketing “buzzword” expertise when they have little or none. (Not you Karen Said.)

    Let me reply to the other part of your post (about Gary Vaynerchuk) separately.

    (Hey Bert, Did I get back my “longest posts title” from Karen?) :)

    Haha [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] that is explained in a much calmer manner. I ranted, overly. I could comment again further on your points [in your winning longest post.] But I don’t think it would add to the thread further.

    Thanks so much [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] for both post’s enlightenment :-)

    Look forward to your Gary Vaynerchuck viewpoint. We’ll chat.

    #1212991
    John Romaine
    Participant
    • Total posts: 1,108
    Up
    0
    ::
    FXM, post: 254572, member: 101969 wrote:
    Huey, I was on a 12 months agreement, not even a single call

    How much were you paying?

    In regards to the original question, the fact is that most business owners are lazy. They simply want to click a button, sit back and wait for sales and enquiries to come flooding in.

    And this is why many “give up” both on social and SEO.

    Online marketing is hard. You have to work at it – constantly.

    If you’re not, then forget it.

    Put an ad in the paper or hand out some fridge magnets.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.