Home – New Forums Get productive How best to use your ‘slack time’

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sef
    • Total posts: 39
    Up
    ::

I don’t know if it is because it is Friday the thirteenth, but things at work at one of my clients are unusually quiet at the moment.

In other situations, you might be waiting for other people before you can continue a task or you just finished a task and have 15 minutes to spare before a meeting.
    All of a sudden there it is, that rare, queezy feeling of having some slack time.

What do you do with it and how can you best utilise it?

The worst thing you can do is to just stare at things, make your mind wander and wait for the clock to tick. Now that really is wasting time.

Personally, I either allow myself that time to really have a little unscheduled break or, since I am a ‘to do list’ person, I grab my lists and try and re-schedule the next sequence of events. If there is a completely unrelated ‘to do task’ (maybe reply to an e-mail) that only takes a few minutes I try and do that.

What do you do with those unexpected slack moments?

LeelaCosgrove
    • Total posts: 634
    Up

Plan!

I have no deadlines today … the writers are working away on their stuff … there’s not a lot I can do except wait for them to come back to me …

So I’ve designated today planning day … I’m spending some time mapping everything out on a huge piece of paper stuck on the wall beside me … figuring out everything I need to do to reach my goals over the next 12 – 24 months.

It’s fun AND exciting AND still work, really … so YAY!

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Whats that ?

Adam Randall
    • Total posts: 382
    Up

A bloke a lot wiser than me once gave this advice:

He said: “Adam, if you find it a bit quiet some time, just hop in the car and go for a drive. Plan to visit 5 or 6 clients, don’t warn them, just drop in. I often pick up enough work to keep me busy for a few weeks”

I did it with him once and sure enough, just in general conversation, can you do this, we need one of those etc.

I should also say that, I do not think there is really any such thing as slack time in small business if you think about it. Improving processes, documentation, staff training, researching, BAS, reconciling, marketing.
    There is always something to do – although it may not be billable work, its still contributing to the overall efficiency of your business.

And dont forget if all else fails DONT FORGET VALENTINES DAY!

Ric Willmot
    • Total posts: 141
    Up

Drink a VERY VERY dry martini. Stirred not shaken, so as not to bruise the Jean Marc XO vodka. Three green olives.

Enjoy!

Rgds,
    Ric

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

And dont forget if all else fails DONT FORGET VALENTINES DAY!

Whats that?

Drink a VERY VERY dry martini. Stirred not shaken, so as not to bruise the Jean Marc XO vodka. Three green olives.

Now your starting to talk words I understand.

He said: “Adam, if you find it a bit quiet some time, just hop in the car and go for a drive. Plan to visit 5 or 6 clients, don’t warn them, just drop in. I often pick up enough work to keep me busy for a few weeks”

This is very good advise, if you cant drop round make an impromptue phone call. Not an email, a phone call, and it may only take one.

Lisa Murray – Biz Coach
    • Total posts: 112
    Up

Well I hate waiting, so a few weeks ago I wrote myself a list of things I could do when having a few minutes spare (whether out or in my office)…consider:

• Put some balance back into your life – call a friend!
    • write a quick blog post or three and queue them for the future
    • clean up my desk
    • catch up on business reading
    • priortise my time for the next few days
    • get creative – think up new marketing ideas
      • meditate for a few minutes – become calm again!
      • enjoy a power nap
      • plan, plan, plan
      • brainstorm content for upcoming seminars and workshops

There’s more, but you get the idea.
    Ms Impatient signing off…

MissieK
    • Total posts: 234
    Up

Often I’ll have a rest! It helps recharge my batteries so I can do planning, etc.

Melissa

Sef
    • Total posts: 39
    Up

I really like Patrick’s comment in the procrestination topic:

Do you realise that when you are procrastinating your mind is actually running through the decission making process, looking at the pros and cons, without you being aware so let procrastination into your life and your decissions will be more acurate.

I take a lot of ‘1 minute breathers’ to quickly check the latest cricket scores, check my email inbox or check for any new activity on 434U and always have 10-20 screens open at the same time. When you work on something intensively it really re-charges and clears your head.

Rachel Reeves
    • Total posts: 148
    Up
    Sef, post: 3010 wrote:
    What do you do with those unexpected slack moments?

Whats that? Huh? Sorry, my mind has run a blank on what the definition of ‘slack’ is. Maybe because I have two toddlers that keep me soooo busy that I don’t often get that moment of tranquility. For those who do have slack moments, please could you enjoy one for me :)

johnsonkyle25
    • Total posts: 9
    Up

I believe that if you have small breaks it will keep you sane to rest your head while you have them, put everything aside and think about what you like instead of feeling guilty for not using that spare time on work, you avoid enough breaks and soon enough you will be alone, with a lot of cash, many commitments and a very strong desire to jump put the window.

No mans land
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

“Slack time” comes in a couple forms. In between time of direct earnings and periods such as before annual break where clients may be winding up.
    The short periods can be used for establishing where new markets can be met through marketing. Discovering how to further aggregate clients.

For some businesses the lead up to the new year can be a quiet period. During the year you may have established to implement new software or similar infrastructure. The pre festive season can be a time to implement that new software, website, train staff etc etc.

Tax, oh yes, tax. In small business people become obsessed with direct earnings and miss the “stuff” that brings it in. The fertiliser that grows the tree.

Lucki
    • Total posts: 147
    Up

Slack time is a great opportunity to write on the forums (hehe) and write blogs. I find I get creative and brainstorm marketing ideas. Sitting outside for some fresh air is also space to think.

Lucki

SteveDavidson
    • Total posts: 80
    Up

The endless to-do list kicks in. :)

No mans land
    • Total posts: 34
    Up

I believe that if you have small breaks it will keep you sane to rest your head while you have them, put everything aside and think about what you like instead of feeling guilty for not using that spare time on work, you avoid enough breaks and soon enough you will be alone, with a lot of cash, many commitments and a very strong desire to jump put the window.

Computer screens vary but the general thought is that they have infinite depth. Your eyes strain to a certain extent on the depth at which the information is sitting.

Screen optimisation is critical to fatigue management.

If you spend exorbitant amounts of time on a computer screen then you should rest your eyes. Monitor adjustment can make a hell of difference in regards to brightness controls etc.

Paper is a 2 dimensional media. If you have been on the screen for some time you should make space to rest your eyes and your mind. If you cant afford free time at least print the odd bit of reading off. Sit away and read the information in a totally different environment.

Give your eyes and your mind a break from the screen. If you can, do it every half hour for 5 minutes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.