Home – New Forums Find the help you need How can I find a manufacturer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    AgatheT
    • Total posts: 4
    Up
    ::

Hi,
    I’ve designed some timber furniture items that I would like to sell. I’ve been able to build the first one myself but I now need to find a manufacturer to do it. I’ve spent ages on Google trying to find a manufacturer but I haven’t found anyone. Do you have any advice? I’d like my products to be manufactured in Australia (preferably near Sydney).
    Thank you for your help!

Dave Gillen – Former FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 2,566
    Up

Welcome to the forums [USER=114587]@AgatheT[/USER]!

How many do you need made? Are you looking for a large manufacturer or a small workshop or a carpenter? Might give you some other terms to try googling :)

Dave

AgatheT
    Up

Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your response! I was thinking to start with 10 pieces and hopefully order more in a second stage. It’s a relatively simple and small furniture (about 80x50x60cm) and the few quotes I’ve received are all around $1000 per unit which is way above what I expected… Do you have any suggestion?
    Thanks again!

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up
    AgatheT, post: 265371, member: 114587 wrote:
    Hi Dave,
    Thanks for your response! I was thinking to start with 10 pieces and hopefully order more in a second stage. It’s a relatively simple and small furniture (about 80x50x60cm) and the few quotes I’ve received are all around $1000 per unit which is way above what I expected… Do you have any suggestion?
    Thanks again!

Having had a brief relationship with a furniture manufacturer, custom furniture is not cheap to make, so if you have a couple of quotes for that value, it’s possibly correct.

10 units still falls in the custom furniture range as it is not worthwhile setting up Jigs or templates for the build and with no guarantee of ongoing builds it would be out of the question anyhow.

businesstrade
    Participant
    • Total posts: 215
    Up

Furniture logistics, manufacturing and supply chains are messy as hell. From my understanding of it, it is quite a difficult task to get on top of it. Most of the furniture is made in China or in Europe. If you get them built here, there will be a huge cost per unit due to the small scale and high wages that exist locally.

DYOR but I would be hesitant to get into this industry as it is hyper competitive and margins are quite thin once everything is taken into consideration.

businesstrade.com.aubuy or sell a business
    Corey
    • Total posts: 568
    Up

Have you considered contacting the peak industry body’s?

• AFA | Australasian Furniture Association – Australia’s peak body representing the Furnishing industry throughout Australasia
    • Furnishing Industry Association of Australia Ltd | WoodSolutions
    • Partners in the timber industry – First Super

Cheers
    Corey

AgatheT
    Up
    bb1, post: 265377, member: 53375 wrote:
    Having had a brief relationship with a furniture manufacturer, custom furniture is not cheap to make, so if you have a couple of quotes for that value, it’s possibly correct.

10 units still falls in the custom furniture range as it is not worthwhile setting up Jigs or templates for the build and with no guarantee of ongoing builds it would be out of the question anyhow.

Do you have an idea from what quantity I could start making substantial savings? Thanks for your help!

AgatheT
    Up
    Corey, post: 265382, member: 31331 wrote:
    Have you considered contacting the peak industry body’s?

• AFA | Australasian Furniture Association – Australia’s peak body representing the Furnishing industry throughout Australasia
    • Furnishing Industry Association of Australia Ltd | WoodSolutions
    • Partners in the timber industry – First Super

Cheers
    Corey

Hi Corey,
    Thanks for the advice, I will contact them ASAP!
    Cheers,
    Agathe

Jeff999
    • Total posts: 10
    Up
    AgatheT, post: 265369, member: 114587 wrote:
    Hi,
    I’ve designed some timber furniture items that I would like to sell. I’ve been able to build the first one myself but I now need to find a manufacturer to do it. I’ve spent ages on Google trying to find a manufacturer but I haven’t found anyone. Do you have any advice? I’d like my products to be manufactured in Australia (preferably near Sydney).
    Thank you for your help!

I might be able to assist. I own a small business in Sydney which imports niche furniture and joinery components from China and I often work with people and their designs who are trying to find manufacturing solutions. I know many joiners big and small who could likely assist locally in Sydney. Feel free to PM me

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.