Home – New Forums Marketing mastery How can I market new counselling business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shelley
    • Total posts: 2
    Up
    ::

Hi there,

I have started a counselling business in Melbourne (Caulfield and Wheelers Hill) and I am currently getting some clients from referrals from existing clients and from ad words.

I am looking for some other cost effective ways to get the word out there as I am finding ad words very expensive with “counselling” and “relationship counselling” competitive search words.

I have signed up for True Local and also for a listing in Natural Therapies Pages online.

Any other ideas?

Would really appreciate any ideas.

Cheers,

RawMarketing
    • Total posts: 31
    Up

Counselling is obviously a lot more of a reactionary need that something that you can convince people they need, so I think best to stick with directory/resource based marketing and perhaps try to look specifically where people go before they goto a counsellor.

Youth Centers?
    Doctors Surgeries?
    Mediators?
    Court Waiting Rooms?
    Clinics?

Perhaps put out some flyers or information about your services in these areas, as your business is helping people with problems, people in these areas should be happy to assist you.

If you had a blog, a book or a series of self-help tools that you could mention in your flyer, that would probably be a great help to someone in need!

mybusinesshelp
    • Total posts: 128
    Up

Hi Shelley

Referrals will always be the best source of new leads/clients, so nurture them well :)

To get your website out there, check out 10 free Aussie directory listings to list your business.

Also, you can also refer to 10 ways to market your business for under $250 for some tips.

All the best!

Amanda

Shelley, post: 19619 wrote:
    Hi there,

I have started a counselling business in Melbourne (Caulfield and Wheelers Hill) and I am currently getting some clients from referrals from existing clients and from ad words.

I am looking for some other cost effective ways to get the word out there as I am finding ad words very expensive with “counselling” and “relationship counselling” competitive search words.

I have signed up for True Local and also for a listing in Natural Therapies Pages online.

Any other ideas?

Would really appreciate any ideas.

Cheers,

Burgo
    Participant
    • Total posts: 2,104
    Up

Have you tried the local newspaper. Place an ad in the trades and Services section. It may take a few weeks for reaction once it starts the word of mouth from these new clients will boost your client base.

Give it a try for three months and it is cheep and affective

bigambition
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Blog and being a forum member on relevant sites would definitely help.

Shelley, just saw your site, some aspects of it is a bit vague, for example :

“The fees are based on the presenting issue and personal circumstances. I do offer concession rates. Please contact me for more information.”

Does concession rates = bulk billings?

Counselling is indeed important but what people want most is results, not just another person to talk to, they can ask their next door neighbour for that.

Malcolm
    • Total posts: 2
    Up

Hi Shelley,
    There are a thousand and one ways to skin a cat, however, a few thoughts came to mind about your post. Here are some free ways to improve your chances of your ideal prospect finding you. Ask yourself:

Would they be jumping on the internet to find you?

Or would they be getting a referral from another health professional?

If by internet, I would first of all try and get inside your ideal prospects head (pardon the phrase) and think about what search terms they would be using to try and locate your services. Drill down as deep as you can
    with these. Also use Google Keyword Tool to see what terms people are using.

With this list of search terms (keywords or phrases) start entering them into the Google Search Engine to see what listings are at the top of the organic searches (and PPC listings as well). See if you can identify what they might be doing differently to you and how you could incorporate these things into your own sight.

I would also consider placing what you have on your front page in an ‘About Me’ section. Your qualifications may be secondary to your prospects concerns.

Your prospect wants to know if you know what they are going through, you understand them. Mention things they may be experiencing, the symptoms, how they manifest in someones life, the fall out from those issues, how it affects their family, their friends, their social standing, their roles in the community etc.

How it impacts their life.

You will have then demonstrated to them your empathy and your understanding. That paves the way for them to want to contact you and reach out.

Offline, some clients may be insightful enough or have enough awareness to know they need help and seek it. Others may not and only become aware of the need for counselling in a crisis situation, crisis centre or self-help course.

I would have marketing collateral (brochures etc) placed in a crisis centre and seek alignment with medical centres, other mental health organisations and professionals to gain referrals which I’m sure you are probably already doing.

I see that you are working with Beyond Blue which of course is fantastic so you have your finger on the pulse.

Another way to refine your marketing and improve its performance is to know your ideal prospect. This would mean targeting a ‘niche’ or a prospect with clearly defined characteristics.

Try and identify the demographics of your ideal prospect ie. age, sex, geographic location, salary etc. Also establish pychographics of your ideal prospect ie. what they do and why, their values, their beliefs. The more you narrow this down the more effective your marketing will be. Don’t spread your focus too broadly. Choose a particular type of prospect and focus only on them.

Your marketing strategy and tactics will become clear and much more apparent.

Hope this helps.

Malcolm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.