Home – New Forums Starting your journey How did you start your business?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up
    ::

Hi all,
    So how did you start business?
    So as a business you have to make sales. When and how did you make these sales. I guess most of you would have been working for someone at some stage then decided to quit working for the “man” and start making your own income.

I have been working for 20 years, make a good income with no stress….but I am not satisfied. I had a small business about a decade ago which was a franchise so I was still restricted to what I could and couldn’t do.

I have now just hit 40 and feel my life is just beginning. I have my direction in which I plan to head towards. I have always been involved in health and fitness and for the last 18 months have sized up my competitors in the field.
    I know the direction I want to take.

At work I think about what I could be doing. I thinking working for someone restricts you of your potential.
    Working for someone is easy I guess….regular income coming in weekly. You get conditioned for working for the boss.

When did you decide to unleash your potential??
    When did you change the conditions and make your own future?
    Cheers?

LucasArthur
    Participant
    • Total posts: 3,171
    Up

Howdy,

Not sure i will hit your actual query, although i will share a ‘little’ about when, why etc…

Personally, i have always been inspired by others who were successful in business and always admired those that set their own goals and stretched towards them and, fortunately, seen many exceed with great success.

My history is rather varied although tended to be in positions that required a fair amount of autonomy combined with thinking outside the square – dare i say entrepreneurial approach. This included mainly blue chip businesses such as Telecommunications (2 of the biggest players) + 2 of the 4 Pillared Banks + Largest FMCG in Australia and a few other short growth roles (meaning short term employ to ‘fix’ problems then move on) as well as having my fingers in a few small business/hobby ventures.

I too am at your stage in life :o, dare i say matured, and the key drive for me to get into the business was 3 fold:
    1. Boredom: as being employed did create certain glass ceilings that were impenetrable/impregnable. Hope that is self explanatory

2. Wanted greater challenges: i felt creating something on my own required bigger thinking, bigger ideas and challenges. Although this could be seen as a negative with the potential to fall, as many FS may also identify, it is one of the driving factors that makes me enjoy the business every day (along with many of my customers that i enjoy chatting to). Its having to wear many hats that i like.

3. Health: there was some health motivations that impacted my ability to work in the corporate role i was undertaking at the time which opened up our business model.

I know its only 3 and to be honest there are many more smaller (and maybe equally important) components as to why although they are probably the 3 most pivotal for me, personally.

Hope that is what you are sort of chasing?

Jason

Jason Ramage | Lucas Arthur Pty Ltd | E: [email protected]   P: 61 3 8324 0344    M: 61 412 244 888
    Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

You might also like to read an older thread on this topic …
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/starting-business/19777-why-did-you-start-your-own-business.html

Cheers.

BrisVegasGhost
    • Total posts: 49
    Up

Thanks SR and Karen,

I guess my questions is a bit wide spread but you did answer some questions Jason.

Thanks for the link to the thread Karen. Some good in sights of how others think as well.

I guess like a lot of others you get that instinct to do your own thing that you love. But it is a lack of being satisfied of what I am doing now…and what I think I can achieve that drives me to be better.

Cheers

Stuart B
    • Total posts: 1,070
    Up

These are the internal battles that everyone has at some point I think.

MissSassy
    • Total posts: 1,255
    Up

This is where a third party can really help – I would suggest that you talk to a business adviser, business mentor, trusted business professional etc to get a clearer picture.

Having a professional that you can brainstorm with, create goals and work together to get there will really make a difference and allow you the clarity you need.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.