Home – New Forums Tech talk How do I find out what keywords competitors use?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ange79
    • Total posts: 173
    Up
    ::

Hi All,

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but I’m the first to admit that I’m not technically minded at all.

How does one find out what keywords competing websites use? How can I study a competitor website for instance, and analyse the content they have used for SEO purposes?

Thanks!

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up

Hi

Here is Google Starter Guide – something to get you started.

Thanks,
    Joey

Blue Jet
    • Total posts: 189
    Up
    Ange79, post: 128470 wrote:
    Hi All,

How does one find out what keywords competing websites use?

you can try this site keywordspy.com

Mrs Fox
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Most online tools, including the Keyword tool of Google Adwords, will show the terms that put a site on high SERP ranking. You may need paid analytics services like Seoprofiler to check the anchor texts used in the backlinks of a website you are spying on. Usually, backlinks with similar anchor texts are posted for SEO purposes.

Aidan
    • Total posts: 1,125
    Up

Hi Ange,

I’ve tried a few tools for that over the years but found them all to produce some pretty random results based on that horrific artefact ‘meta keywords’ and copy content.

Nobody in their right mind uses meta keywords anymore unless its to deliberately throw amateurs off the scent and just because your copy contains the phrase “checked out flying” (as appears in the FS sidebar at the moment as part of “Have you checked out Flying Solo’s video library? Heaps of good stuff”), does not mean you are trying to rank for it.

If I do the exercise at all I tend to look at page titles, page urls, alt tags and page copy as well as anchor text used for page to page interlinking. That gives a good feel of what a site is hoping to rank for.

I hope thats of some help.

Tiggerito
    • Total posts: 362
    Up

Here are some tools I’ve used for viewing competitor keywords:

• SEMrush (Raven Tools also uses their data)
    • Google AdWords Keyword Tool by entering their URL

And examining their backlinks (the link text can show what keywords they are targeting)

• MajesticSEO
    • SEOMoz Open Site Explorer
    Vossy
    • Total posts: 71
    Up

Hi Ange

The suggestions from everyone else are all good to get an automated outcome.
    Google Keyword Tool is good, free and normally works. SEMRush is pretty dodgy for small sites in Australia but OK for larger sites and you can get some of the data for free.

Keyword Spy is useful – especially if you want want to see what they are targeting in Adwords/PPC advertising

You can also look at the page source (firefox instructions below)
    Find the page you are interested in and right click (view source) it brings up a pile of gibberish.
    Then do control F and search for

• Meta or Title
    • Description
    • H1

And see what words are included in those areas – that often gives a clue the the search terms they are trying to optimise on the page.

Cheers

Vilson
    Participant
    • Total posts: 184
    Up

Hi Ange,

For SEO purpose: advancedwebranking
    For SEM purpose: Keywordspy

Hope this help.

Create Online Test or Quiz on ScoreBell
    JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    Up

Hi Ange,
    What complicates the answer:

1. Google primarily assesses a page’s ranking based on the individual words used in the search phrases.

2. Google will use synonyms for some search words. I have not seen a tool that identifies these.

3. Google’s recent changes probably invalidate the results of most tools that try to answer this question.

4. The words being targeted are often left to a web developer and not defined by the business owner.

5. Most sites don’t target any specific search words. (These are all the sites that use page titles like “Welcome to our Home page – company name”, “About Us – company name”, “Services – company name”, etc.)

6. The words your competing sites think they are targeting and the ones Google sees as being targeting are not necessarily the same.

The simplest but often the most accurate guide for small sites is to look at the words used in the page and the domain name. The words used in the Home page title are likely to be the ones that score highest ranking points because most external links are to a site’s Home page. If there is a search word used in the domain name then most links will contain that word which adds more ranking points for that word.</p> <p>If you want to view the titles of all a site’s pages, do a “site search”. E.g. Enter this search string: site:thecopywritingchick.com.au</p> <p>The page names shown are the site’s page titles.</p> <p>You will see that for this example site search there are two words that will score most ranking points, “copywriting” and “chick”. However, a search for “copywriter chick” also gets you high in the results because Google is treating “copywriting” and “copywriter” as synonyms.</p> <p>Regs,<br /> JohnW

Ange79
    • Total posts: 173
    Up

Hi Guys!

Thanks so much for all of your useful replies. Lots of information in there for me to process!

Cheers!

Snakeman
    Participant
    • Total posts: 329
    Up

All the above posts are on the money so to speak.
    I would also advise, worry not so much about keywords your competitor is targetting, but rather the ones you want.
    This gets you into the dark art of SEO or search engine optimisation and yes it is very competitive indeed for good search terms that drive customers to business.
    In my business reptile parties in Melbourne, snake shows and the like, we have an advantage over competitors with registered trademarks, including yes, reptile parties and an exact match url http://www.reptileparties.com.au and not withstanding all this, business rivals bootleg the trademark, engage in SEO and rip off our clients by usurping us on google search results pages.
    You will find a similar situation with a lot of search terms that are popular and worth money.
    We have the same with some of our other registered trademarks such as snake man, which is a search term that drives qualified leads to our exact match domains.
    Now in a nutshell it is worth checking you don’t infringe trademarks as sooner or later the owner will crack the sads and stop you. Then if you can, get an exact match domain for your best keywords and then use SEO to try to get to the top of page one of google.
    Take it from someone who has looked into this and kept a diary for years, being number two will probably not get a tenth of the business as will being number one on google and this ignores all other aspects of the site, which by comparison are meaningless.
    All the best

Shane Walker
    • Total posts: 129
    Up

Hi Ange! It’s Shane Walker here!

The easiest way to see what keywords your competitors are using is to open up their website in your browser and go view source. You can go up and read it there from the meta data.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

MatthewKeath
    • Total posts: 3,184
    Up
    Snakeman, post: 128788 wrote:
    In my business reptile parties in Melbourne, snake shows and the like, we have an advantage over competitors with registered trademarks, including yes, reptile parties and an exact match url http://www.reptileparties.com.au and not withstanding all this, business rivals bootleg the trademark, engage in SEO and rip off our clients by usurping us on google search results pages.I guess the search term ‘reptile parties’ is a obvious choice for people to type into Google and thus is popular for that reason. Not sure if you can restrict somebody optimising for that term even if you own the trademark, or expect others not to optimise to this term when it something that makes sales.

Shane Walker, post: 128854 wrote:
    Hi Ange! It’s Shane Walker here!

The easiest way to see what keywords your competitors are using is to open up their website in your browser and go view source. You can go up and read it there from the meta data.Which meta do you mean?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.