Home Forums Marketing mastery How do I know if the SEO company is doing a ‘Ethical’ work?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    m4engineers
    • Total posts: 121
    Karen Francis, post: 222970, member: 72549 wrote:
    What a great discussion. I can see both sides of this idea for a level of ‘compliance’.

The greatest challenge is that the SE’s do change… daily. What is a focus on Bing is not on Google, or even within an industry or vertical. For example: a client I work with took a visibility drop in Bing in NZ (as did the competitors within their vertical), but stayed strong on Google, yet their AU branch had no such impact.

How the heck does an industry body measure that? It could be along the lines of the WHO recently stating that bacon is carcinogenic. Many health experts already knew this, but it’s not commonly known until an authority comments and it filters through the masses that it becomes everyday knowledge.

We are still so much in the education phase for SEO because the goalposts keep changing. 7-8 years ago it was about Keyword density, 3-4 years ago about quantity of backlinks, this year it’s mobility. What’s next?

It’s a tricky one for sure.
    Actually the goal post has not changed, it has always been good contents. IMHO, Google has been reacting to SEO threats to their AdWords business.

JohnW
    • Total posts: 2,642
    m4engineers, post: 252288, member: 100990 wrote:
    Actually the goal post has not changed, it has always been good contents. IMHO, Google has been reacting to SEO threats to their AdWords business.
    Hi Huey,
    I think you are being far too constrained in your dislike for Internet scammers, spammers and incompetents.

Let’s be fair and broaden out the list of supplier types with their own fair share of shonks to include:

• Web designers
    • Web developers
    • Social media marketers
    • Content marketers
    • Online ad managers
    • Copy writers
    • SEO tool vendors
    • CMS and e-commerce cart vendors
    • Bloggers
    • and many more…

As someone who has audited very large numbers of website and social media programs over the years, I can assure you that each of the above categories includes many who are a fool to themselves and a danger to others.

I have more reason to hate all the SEO incompetents than you because they give those SEOs who do know what they are doing a bad name and worse, they promolgate SEO myths.

Quote: “Actually the goal post has not changed, it has always been good contents.”

I’d agree that G’s goal has not changed but I suggest it has actually been to provide RELEVANT answers to the search queries. “Good” content does not answer search queries. There are squillions of search queries where the top answers are pages that simply provide long lists of info.

Huey, You must see countless business directory pages ranking top 10 for your plumbing services when the searcher includes a location word. Do those competing pages meet your definition of “good” content?

Since before G started, an SEO focused on cost-effective services for small businesses should have been trying to attract new potential clients without any backlink building. For most Aust. small businesses backlink building was and still is not usually needed.

The result is that on-site content has always been the main area that has limited new business referrals. Nothing new here. Matt Cutts told us way back…

Bert, I believe you’ve put a lot of time into learning how to attract new business with SEO tactics. You must know that effective SEO works and that it is a little different to Huey’s expectations of SEO.

PS. Huey, Try viewing your site on different browsers. I find your Home page does not display properly on a popular browser. Perchance does this indicate that you got hit by a less than competent web designer?

m4engineers

… ha ha ha ha … ha ha ;) thanks.

JohnW
    m4engineers, post: 252367, member: 100990 wrote:
    … ha ha ha ha … ha ha ;) thanks.
    I just tried to find your site again in Google. It seems to be no longer indexed.

Have you got an explanation? Is this a spam post on FS?

m4engineers

Thanks for your interest.
    What do you think? … :)

JohnW

Huey,
    It seems you are a USA business whose purpose is to accumulate leads for 3rd party plumbers, electricians, etc.

The Admin folk here may think you don’t qualify for membership of this Aust. forum. (Ref the site’s USA map on the /contact page and long list of USA-only partners on the /why-us/ page).

I find it suspicious that two days ago Google had indexed four of your .au site’s pages. Now it appears to have deleted them all.

Some possible reasons for this:

• You have redirected the .au to the USA domain
    • Your site has been hacked.
    • Your business is an affiliate marketing scheme that G does not like.
    • Your .au site is a duplicate of the USA site.
    • Then there is the problem that your Home page for both your .au and USA sites cannot display correctly in Chrome desktop browsers.
    • By the way, links from the Flying Solo forum are “no follow”, so they won’t help your SE rankings at all.
    • I gather you don’t have a Google My Business listing. Is this because you cannot meet Google’s guidelines for confirming a businesses’ validity?

It seems you could do with the services of a good SEO to diagnose and fix your site’s problems.

PS: I do love this excuse for not giving your contact details…

“Why we do not have telephone numbers on our contact page?

We are getting too many spam calls from telemarketers and SEO companies.”

For a start both the US and Au domains were only registered in Aug 2017.

How are all those annoying pests finding you? It is extremely unlikely to be via search engines.

m4engineers
    JohnW, post: 252379, member: 6375 wrote:
    How are all those annoying pests finding you? It is extremely unlikely to be via search engines.

Thanks again, what do you think? There is more than one way to skin a cat … Pareto principle applies.

JohnW

Speaking of Pareto principles, the time you spend here would seem to be much worse and be in the range of 100% of your time that generates 0% results.

• Links from here to an .au domain that is then redirected won’t pass any link value.
    • Links from the forum are “no follow” links.
    • You are talking to an audience who will never use USA based trade services. (Your electricians can’t even install light switches the right up way for us.)
    • From your USA site, I see no knowledge of search engines or how to attract generic referrals.

What is it you think you will achieve by posting in these forums? I can’t think of anything.’

On top of all these limitations and problems with your own site and SEO, you think you can provide us with accurate info about SEO?

I believe you will find that most Australians aren’t that dumb.

m4engineers
    JohnW, post: 252379, member: 6375 wrote:
    … is to accumulate leads for 3rd party plumbers, electricians, etc.

Appreciate your highlight on my business model, actually better than leads, to be exact Pay per Call, I only get paid for the calls they received if the calls satisfy two agreed criteria (1) niche and (2) geographic specific.

JohnW, post: 252416, member: 6375 wrote:
    What is it you think you will achieve by posting in these forums? I can’t think of anything.

It takes a great man to admit what you posted, good on you.

… in the range of 100% of your time that generates 0% results.

I admire your foresight; I am all about 100% give and 0% take, after all I am from a farming family …

… I believe you will find that most Australians aren’t that dumb.

… for sure, I know you are smart!

P/s

… electricians can’t even install light switches the right up way for us.

… not only that, they can’t even get the voltage correct and driving on the wrong side of the road all the time! :)

Ranjan30
    • Total posts: 2

Hi Paul, Its is important that you keep a close eye on your backlink profile. A good tool like SEM rush will help you to do this. Following webmaster closely is a must to know if you are penalized. Facebook links are usually “no follow” Google do not count them as links or the strength is not passed to your website. It is very important your social media posts are interesting which will compel users to visit your site.
    Once they reach your site it is important you track them and use those list for re-marketing etc
    Usually no follow links do not hurt your site, but saying that anything of too much can become a spam too and might not get real users interested with your posts.

John Romaine
    • Total posts: 1,104
    Ranjan30, post: 255274, member: 103770 wrote:
    Its is important that you keep a close eye on your backlink profile

Telling a business owner to “keep a close eye on their backlink profile” is never good advice.

Why?

• Most business owners wouldn’t know what a backlink profile even is.
    • Most business owners wouldn’t know a good link from a bad one
    • Most business owners are incredibly time poor, because they’re actually running a business
    • They’ve paid someone else to do this job. Why should they then have to micro manage it?

Instead, business owners should be kept up to date with exactly what’s going on (from the SEO company or freelancer that they’re working with) via way of –

• End of month reporting
    • End of month strategy calls
    • Clear and transparent delivery of all services

One thing I hear all the time from people engaging with shitty SEO companies is this …

“We don’t know what they’re doing, we never hear from them”

If you’re in that position, then you need to get the hell out of there.

Ranjan30
    • Total posts: 2

Hi John,
    Sorry i dont agree with all your points. Yes true they are paying some one else, but unfortunately every one is not ethical when it comes to SEO. Its important in this Digital age for clients or marketing managers to know some thing about the background.
    With time you don’t need to worry since all the new tools and automation will do the basic work for you.
    Yes i agree with the OWNERS should be kept update with the reporting, strategy etc. Having some basic idea and insights will allow them to take better decisions in terms of budget etc.
    It is very important the business owners gets involved with the work, since its there business and there in a better potions to take certain decisions, when it comes to contents, backlinks etc

John Romaine
    • Total posts: 1,104
    Ranjan30, post: 255276, member: 103770 wrote:
    Sorry i dont agree with all your points.

Good.

karensaid
    • Total posts: 78

That said, could you give me some guidance on how to approach this company about their SEO techniques?

[USER=57760]@CharleSalgado[/USER]

Gosh so many robust comments here, it’s great! Back to your question Charle and I don’t think this is guidance but what I would do and some opinions.

I know this was 2015, but I think it’s still relevant among SME today. :-)

Drop the company immediately, (probably has by now) it’s inevitable to be ripped off in someway working in business offline or online. I’ve had my turn.

Anyone in the know, can flip up a site, grab generic images, pop the word SEO Expert somewhere in the poor grammar riddled website, and bring in money from the unsuspecting needing SEO services.

Take the lesson, move on, learn more. Don’t linger, it’s done, and I understand how you would feel, I get it…….but do not give up!

Like everything, there are scammy poor SEO providers in the mix, as well as brilliant, results and customer orientated SEO providers. Some, are peppered throughout this thread!

I have enjoyed reading their SEO comments because that in itself, reveals just how professional and knowledgeable and customer results orientated, they are!

Regarding the SEO Industry [USER=57760]@CharleSalgado[/USER] or any industry for that matter, I think it’s more productive constructive to your business and for your mindset going forward, to resist what you can’t control, and focus on what you can!

SEO can do your head, for sure, as a small business owner when you’ve got so many other things to contemplate and implement. But obviously, it’s necessary if you are wanting to take that route of organic traffic to your site, as opposed to paid traffic.

Both are different, pros and cons, no right or wrong, both work!

I don’t know what niche, or platform your using so it’s tricky to give accurate advice, plus there is enough SEO gold in this thread. Albeit 4 years ago.

Personally after getting burned, I set out to learn SEO for myself, I love it.

SEO foundations are not rocket science to learn Charle. Implementing these yourself, can give your a site a credible boost. But of course we are different people, and this may not be your thing.

That’s fine, but just think about if knowing some essential SEO fundamentals is advantageous for you. Naming one specifically, “keyword research”.

Did you have a plan regarding this for your sites content?

KW (it’s far from techie) gives you powerful insight. Insight to what exactly is there, content wise, in your niche, to potentially dominate and deliver your audience needs. A well researched keyword strategy, will bring you traffic.

Very lengthy to describe in more detail but there’s reasons for that.

Learning “keyword research myself” not through 3rd party eyes, brought me closer to my audience as it will you to yours. It’s not the be all, end all in SEO strategy, but dam it is CRUCIAL.

It will help you develop content for your site, your audience. Not ordinary content, it must be extraordinary, as it should be. You want engagement not page filler text.

You don’t need to learn know all about SEO, it’s such a fluid boat of change. But I do encourage some fundamental learning of how SEO works. This will eliminate or at least alleviate doubt going forward with marketing your site in the search engines.

Know a little about what you don’t know that isn’t primary to your main skill set. Not a command obviously.

In most cases, SEO foundations will not get you to google page one, but neither will it leave you stranded in google no mans land. At this point, that’s when you need to hire someone or company, that live and breathe SEO.

[Disclaimer, I’m not in SEO]

SEO IS not cheap and shouldn’t be because it’s so time intensive done white hat correct. Many Indian based or other overseas providers are invitingly cheap with promises of instant rankings. Never ever work’s that way.

In saying that, I have also had the pleasure of working with other overseas providers so I don’t want to diss them out based on location or ethnicity. That would not be cool. India based and Sri lanka and Italy etc

Think global act local. Not my tag line but fit.s the moment.

I have found them to be efficiently priced, complete and competent SEO professionals, customer results focused and incredible communicators!

I have used, spent a small fortune on Upwork which used to be Odesk and Elance for external provider services. Some have been crap, a small percentage only, others absolutely brilliant. No platform will ever be 100%

Do your due diligence here, common sense prevails Charle. Take the time to check everything. The real low scammers for service, will not be on these platforms. They are easily and quickly weeded out. It is a safe platform to hire from.

Whatever you do, maybe someone has mentioned this already, a big no using Fivver for SEO. You’ll get site damage.

Good luck.

m4engineers

Love it when [USER=110616]@karensaid[/USER] …

karensaid, post: 258632, member: 110616 wrote:
    SEO foundations are not rocket science to learn …
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.